Sat Phones, Personal Locators...etc feedback needed

Thread: Sat Phones, Personal Locators...etc feedback needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sat Phones, Personal Locators...etc feedback needed

Despite being very close to a good size city the forest roads I've been riding represent a very long walk out if the bike breaks and the weather is hot. I carry lots of water and generally water is available - but these aging bones would NOT appreciate a long hot hike and some of the planned areas do not have the forest cover.
    And a bad sprain or break would preclude even that.

Cell coverage is very spotty.

Was considering a Spot2 but too many negative comments. The guy running the division here also thinks the Spot a "toy"

http://www.epirbhire.com.au/buy%20an...hone%20Pro.htm

He also thinks a combination of SatPhone and EPIRB

http://www.epirb.com/

is actually cost effective over the Spot which is yearly subscription and separate subscriptions for North America versus Australia.

We are looking for one or two devices together that cover the planet. We are road tripping in car and van in Australia and North America and we like the "road less travelled" routes......Alaska and Northern BC are on the list and East Coast this year is already booked.

I travel cell deprived areas in Ontario and Quebec on mcycle so the devices would get lots of use.
    These are the size difference between a PLB and a EPIRB - my leaning is toward the PLB for the locator for our use.

What prompted this was the off road adventures that are just starting here in Australia as covered here
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-second-season

Like all electronics Sat Phones have dropped as well in price and size.

Iridium is the high end but rental costs are not that bad

http://www.outfittersatellite.com/rentals.htm

the phone is very small ( very expensive to )

and some neat features
    New in the Iridium Extreme

• First Satellite Phone with fully integrated GPS, Online Tracking and Emergency SOS with Notification.
    • IP65 rating, Dust proof, Jet water resistant
    • Toughest military grade designed satellite phone ever made
    • 10% thinner and 7% lighter than 9555
    • Create a Wi-Fi hotspot when connecting an Iridium AxcessPoint

http://www.mobal.com/blog/satellite/...tellite-phone/

So this is an interesting venue that I have no experience in yet would like some way of being located and ideally a communication as well.

Anyone with experience in any of these categories jump in - tales of use most appreciated as well.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 02-10-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Re: Sat Phones, Personal Locators...etc feedback needed

Unless you're piloting a BMW GS loaded with survival gear and heading towards the North Pole, I really don't see the need for sat phones or PLB's. When I did my Ural adventure riding out in the forests of the 1000 Islands and Grey County regions, a cell phone was all I needed. The one time I had to make a call from a remote area with "spotty" coverage, I only had to walk to the top of the nearest hill to gain reception. Plus, I never went anywhere without informing someone of my intended route, that way if I didn't make it back at least they'd have a good idea of where to go look for me.

I doubt you'd be taking your scooter as far off-road as I did with the Ural (or is there another bike in your stable I'm not aware of?), so to me it seems like a lot of money to be paying for the luxury of a sat phone that (hopefully) will never get used.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Gummiente View Post

I doubt you'd be taking your scooter as far off-road as I did with the Ural (or is there another bike in your stable I'm not aware of?), so to me it seems like a lot of money to be paying for the luxury of a sat phone that (hopefully) will never get used.
    I think he's riding a KLR.

Anyways, I can comment on the Spot2. For what its intended for, it does the job. The only downside that I experienced was that if you dont have a clear view of the sky, it will not send a signal properly. GPS tracker is pretty accurate and you can program the device to send custom messages to anyone you specify on your list via txt message or email. Also has the "SOS" feature (which I havent used) which sends help to your current location in case of emergency. But you better hope you have a clear view of the sky if you find yourself in one.
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Mac's in Australia. Cell phone service isn't the greatest down there. Rural areas can be VERY isolated, with poor coverage and these guys are always crowding the network: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LbccUVbSRd...with+phone.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    Mac's in Australia.
    Ah, see, he never mentioned that.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Yeah and there are plenty of areas in Ontario and Quebec - James Bay Road for instance
    http://www.jamesbayroad.com/
    where there is no coverage. I've been in many areas in the US and Canada in the twisties that are wonderfully paved and have no cell coverage.

This looks good

••••

That ACRResquLink video was good - straight forward - will do some followup.
    Making sure batteries are full up I would think and the strobe is a good idea. Interesting he mentions Spot as a toy as well.

At $269 that's a decent price tho battery is not user friendly and is expensive to replace- still it also has a very limited "I'm okay" messaged system.

User reviews here worth reading
    http://www.amazon.com/ACR-Electronic.../dp/B0064UE5AG

smaller than a cell phone
    good tip

•••

While I did mention Aus briefly I made it clearer in the original post now linking to the Australian riding where 95% is out of cell range including on-road tho I'm less concerned about that aspect.

I would think anyone who does a lot of solo trips especially in the road less travelled areas might be interested in solutions.
    Certainly for pilots and many sailors this aspect of fall back locator is a no brainer and in some areas mandated.

$269 for a fall back "come find me" button that last a few years on a sealed battery....that's worth considering given the travel I've got planned both mcycle on both sides of the equator and road tripping in the van to East Coast and next year to Alaska
    Last edited by MacDoc; 02-10-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Nice find, the ACRResquLink is something I have been looking for. I read up on spot and many people complain about it. I always wanted some form of SOS for the back country. When you are days away from cell signal this can save a life.

Do you plan on getting a bike when you come back to NA? Alaska on a scooter would be something