Sat Phones, Personal Locators...etc feedback needed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat Phones, Personal Locators...etc feedback needed

Sat Phones, Personal Locators...etc feedback needed

Despite being very close to a good size city the forest roads I've been riding represent a very long walk out if the bike breaks and the weather is hot. I carry lots of water and generally water is available - but these aging bones would NOT appreciate a long hot hike and some of the planned areas do not have the forest cover.
    And a bad sprain or break would preclude even that.

Cell coverage is very spotty.

Was considering a Spot2 but too many negative comments. The guy running the division here also thinks the Spot a "toy"

http://www.epirbhire.com.au/buy%20an...hone%20Pro.htm

He also thinks a combination of SatPhone and EPIRB

http://www.epirb.com/

is actually cost effective over the Spot which is yearly subscription and separate subscriptions for North America versus Australia.

We are looking for one or two devices together that cover the planet. We are road tripping in car and van in Australia and North America and we like the "road less travelled" routes......Alaska and Northern BC are on the list and East Coast this year is already booked.

I travel cell deprived areas in Ontario and Quebec on mcycle so the devices would get lots of use.
    These are the size difference between a PLB and a EPIRB - my leaning is toward the PLB for the locator for our use.

What prompted this was the off road adventures that are just starting here in Australia as covered here
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-second-season

Like all electronics Sat Phones have dropped as well in price and size.

Iridium is the high end but rental costs are not that bad

http://www.outfittersatellite.com/rentals.htm

the phone is very small ( very expensive to )

and some neat features
    New in the Iridium Extreme

• First Satellite Phone with fully integrated GPS, Online Tracking and Emergency SOS with Notification.
    • IP65 rating, Dust proof, Jet water resistant
    • Toughest military grade designed satellite phone ever made
    • 10% thinner and 7% lighter than 9555
    • Create a Wi-Fi hotspot when connecting an Iridium AxcessPoint

http://www.mobal.com/blog/satellite/...tellite-phone/

So this is an interesting venue that I have no experience in yet would like some way of being located and ideally a communication as well.

Anyone with experience in any of these categories jump in - tales of use most appreciated as well.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 02-10-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Re: Sat Phones, Personal Locators...etc feedback needed

Unless you're piloting a BMW GS loaded with survival gear and heading towards the North Pole, I really don't see the need for sat phones or PLB's. When I did my Ural adventure riding out in the forests of the 1000 Islands and Grey County regions, a cell phone was all I needed. The one time I had to make a call from a remote area with "spotty" coverage, I only had to walk to the top of the nearest hill to gain reception. Plus, I never went anywhere without informing someone of my intended route, that way if I didn't make it back at least they'd have a good idea of where to go look for me.

I doubt you'd be taking your scooter as far off-road as I did with the Ural (or is there another bike in your stable I'm not aware of?), so to me it seems like a lot of money to be paying for the luxury of a sat phone that (hopefully) will never get used.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Gummiente View Post

I doubt you'd be taking your scooter as far off-road as I did with the Ural (or is there another bike in your stable I'm not aware of?), so to me it seems like a lot of money to be paying for the luxury of a sat phone that (hopefully) will never get used.
    I think he's riding a KLR.

Anyways, I can comment on the Spot2. For what its intended for, it does the job. The only downside that I experienced was that if you dont have a clear view of the sky, it will not send a signal properly. GPS tracker is pretty accurate and you can program the device to send custom messages to anyone you specify on your list via txt message or email. Also has the "SOS" feature (which I havent used) which sends help to your current location in case of emergency. But you better hope you have a clear view of the sky if you find yourself in one.
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Mac's in Australia. Cell phone service isn't the greatest down there. Rural areas can be VERY isolated, with poor coverage and these guys are always crowding the network: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LbccUVbSRd...with+phone.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    Mac's in Australia.
    Ah, see, he never mentioned that.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Yeah and there are plenty of areas in Ontario and Quebec - James Bay Road for instance
    http://www.jamesbayroad.com/
    where there is no coverage. I've been in many areas in the US and Canada in the twisties that are wonderfully paved and have no cell coverage.

This looks good

••••

That ACRResquLink video was good - straight forward - will do some followup.
    Making sure batteries are full up I would think and the strobe is a good idea. Interesting he mentions Spot as a toy as well.

At $269 that's a decent price tho battery is not user friendly and is expensive to replace- still it also has a very limited "I'm okay" messaged system.

User reviews here worth reading
    http://www.amazon.com/ACR-Electronic.../dp/B0064UE5AG

smaller than a cell phone
    good tip

•••

While I did mention Aus briefly I made it clearer in the original post now linking to the Australian riding where 95% is out of cell range including on-road tho I'm less concerned about that aspect.

I would think anyone who does a lot of solo trips especially in the road less travelled areas might be interested in solutions.
    Certainly for pilots and many sailors this aspect of fall back locator is a no brainer and in some areas mandated.

$269 for a fall back "come find me" button that last a few years on a sealed battery....that's worth considering given the travel I've got planned both mcycle on both sides of the equator and road tripping in the van to East Coast and next year to Alaska
    Last edited by MacDoc; 02-10-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Nice find, the ACRResquLink is something I have been looking for. I read up on spot and many people complain about it. I always wanted some form of SOS for the back country. When you are days away from cell signal this can save a life.

Do you plan on getting a bike when you come back to NA? Alaska on a scooter would be something

Alaska on the Burgman would not be an issue except for the North Slope but a proper dual sport would give access to a lot more areas. It's getting out there is the issue - its both a long ways west and a long ways North
    Calgary to Anchorage is 3500 km by slab

This guy was from Texas and we saw him in Skagway - you can see he has the orange Spot mounted horizontally

can't see if he has an external power feed into it.

Nicely equipped and about he was about my age tho that has to be a heavy load he's got on there.

Ideal way to do Alaska would be to trailer a couple of dual sport bikes there.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 02-10-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    Ideal way to do Alaska would be to trailer a couple of dual sport bikes there.
    If I am going to Alaska there is no way in hell I would trailer a couple of bikes there; the whole point is to ride, ride, ride. If the only way I could go was to trailer something, I would stay home and pull out my "Acme home suicide kit" - rather be dead that haul bikes for what should be an epic ride of a lifetime.

Well you are in bit better position to ride to it than us in Eastern Canada and more interesting terrain getting there.
    It's a tricky balance between gear and bike that can go properly in forest trails.
    I'd rather trailer a 400 Suzi dual sport or even the TW Yamaha- see the sights and share them in the main vehicle and then go have fun on a pair of lighter forest bikes.
    This is something GF and I are considering in Australia where the distances are even worse.

TW200 is small enough for her to ride ( she had a 175 Honda way back when ) and we could get two in the back of her extended pickup.

I'd far rather do that than try and cram enough for a month on heavy dual sport.

Even the KLR without gear is a handful and are you really going to take this off road with no support team?

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...01144609PM.jpg

Do recall that a lot of Alaska is not paved and the distances very long. The Alaska Highway alone is 1500+ miles....I hitch hiked 1200 of it when it was dirt.
    Yeah that would be a nice ride on a tourer but all those side roads and forest tracks to explore.....and then there is the Marine Highway to consider as well. You can do the Inside Passage part by ferry part by road.

••

Back on topic the PLBs have just this year been approved for land use in the UK -
    http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/201...for-first-time

so clearly this is an emerging market outside the more traditional aviation and water applications.

Now this seems to have both worlds covered - messaging and distress...$59 subscription covers the messaging I guess....

Product Description

Sarlink 406 gps plb product number: 2883 model number: plb-350 b new features: send im ok messages and gps location maps. Increase the functionality of your plb with optional 406link.com non-emergency messaging service. Head out with confidence. With three levels of integrated signal technology - gps positioning, a powerful 406 mhz signal and 121.5 mhz homing capability - the sarlink quickly and accurately relays your position to a worldwide network of search and rescue satellites, reducing search time and increasing your chances of survival. It?s reliable signaling technology that has saved more than 25,000 lives since 1982. The sarlink broadcasts a unique registered distress signal that not only tells rescuers where you are, but who you are. The onboard gps can fix your position to within 100 meters and then utilizes a powerful 406 mhz signal to relay your distress call to orbiting sar satellites. As local search and rescue is deployed, a separate homing signal and integrated led strobe light guide rescuers to your location. The sarlink is light in weight and small enough to be easily carried in a pack or pocket by skiers, hikers, hunters, kayakers, climbers, pilots, snowmobilers or any other outdoor enthusiast. Performing a full functional self test of the plb?s internal circuitry, battery voltage & power, and 406 mhz transmission gives you the peace of mind knowing your plb will work the moment you need it to the most. Acr exclusive: built-in gps acquisition test mode allows you to test gps functionality up to 12 times over the life of the battery life. Tap in to the same field-tested rescue technology used by the u.s. Military, coast guard, nato special forces and arctic explorers. Features: * no subscription fees * super bright led strobe * on board 66 channel gps * self-test and gps test features * typical performance 35 hours * non-hazmat battery * made in the u.s.a size: 2.25 x 5.88 x 1.29 (5.72 x 14.94 x 3.28 cm) weight: 8.9 oz (258g) with lanyard...
    this looks pretty good -
    http://www.aviationsurvival.com/ACR-...con-_p_32.html
    Last edited by MacDoc; 02-11-2012 at 12:55 AM.

One thing I noticed about my cell phone was that if I was in a no coveragea area the battery exhausted itself more quickly. I am assuming it beats itself to death trying to find a signal that isn't there. The point is that if you kill the battery in the dead zone you can't even call from a serviced area.

I use a Spot 2 when I am touring solo. They recommend playing with it a bit to understand the functions before setting off for no man's land.

Cell phone batteries waste out quickly when not in a digital area. If in an analog area or no signal at all, they expire real fast. Best to turn them off then only turn on when needed.
    2009 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic
    1978 Kawasaki KZ650 (project bike)

Yeah really got watch that with iPhones - both signal searching and GPS eat batteries - put in Airplane mode and the tunes go forever

BTW a cheap and cheerful emergency call solution for those that don't have a cell phone plan is an old cell phone ( make sure it holds a charge ) tucked away as any cell phone will do 911 regardless of whether it is activated on a plan. I've got some old Motorola's that will keep a charge for months when turned off.

New batteries for older phones are often dirt cheap online.

You can buy older iPhones cheap as well ( $100 or less ) and it makes a good iPod and reader plus can be used in an emergency situation without a plan. Can be used for some basic navigation and map holding as well - NavFree does not need a cell plan. You can download maps through your home wireless connection.
    http://www.navmii.com/navfree/?country=AU

Still as with all cell phones - it needs to be in a coverage area to work as an emergency device. Make it part of your check list for trips that you have any sort of phone with you and IT'S CHARGED.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 02-11-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    If I am going to Alaska there is no way in hell I would trailer a couple of bikes there; the whole point is to ride, ride, ride. If the only way I could go was to trailer something, I would stay home and pull out my "Acme home suicide kit" - rather be dead that haul bikes for what should be an epic ride of a lifetime.

I'm with you. I am riding up to Inuvik by myself this June,the Dempster may be a challenge,but, hell, theres the fun,no? Taking the Canadian way across the country and the Yankee way home,with a couple of detours, the D2D rally,Top of the World Hwy and Fairbanks.

All by my lonesome.....no tracker. No trailer. No offence,though, sorry......
    2002 Hayabusa
    2012 Hayabusa
    2015 Hayabusa

and a lot of jerry cans

Now these guy did the Dempster and broke a shock - had to repair it himself at the Air Force base. And they were very well equipped for just about anything and there were two of them.

I'm all for adventure but there is also common sense - distances are huge, people are scarce, cell phone contact non-existent.....bugs in June fierce.

sorry??.....lets hope not.

Go have a look at the new "spot connect". It converts your smart phone into a sat communicator. Its pretty well priced. The spot locator does what it's intended to do and is a pretty common sense tool for back country adventure. The EPIRB is pretty expensive and doesn't do anything the SPOT wouldn't do.
    Another pretty handy tool is a CB walkie talkie, all those roads in the middle of nowhere usually have some truck traffic and they carry tools. You only get about a 15 mile range but thats a big circle.

Lots will say the adventure is not the same if you have backup gear like sat phones, but adventure stories are better when you can tell them, and you have to come back to tell them.

Too many negatives on the Spot when the and even more on the messenger plus do you really want to rely on a Smartphone battery when the sealed units are good for 5 years.

This ACR PLB unit is $269 with superb reviews and please remember Spot Trackers require a subscription which puts the cost over time much much higher plus the Spot requires batteries so even more cost and risk involved.

ACR Electronics ACR ResQLink™ 406 MHz GPS Personal Locator Beacon

by ACR Electronics 4.4 out of 5 stars See all reviews (5 customer reviews) | Like 1329589137 false 1 4 4 3 (4)

List Price: $279.99
    Price: $269.00

The guys in the biz down here think the Spot is a toy - and getting lost in Australia is constant problem as water in the interior is non-existent in many areas - I tend to agree.

At this point I will probably wait til I get home to buy the PLB ( prices in Aus are high for most things ) but I still might rent one here.
    and these units also have the optional messaging available.

ACR ResQLink . 406 MHz GPS Personal Locator Beacon with Optional 406Link.com Service At 4.6 oz, the ResQLink weighs less than a couple of PowerBarsŪ. And topping at just 3.9 inches, it's smaller than the cell phone in your pocket. Small and mighty, the ResQLink is a full-powered, GPS-enabled rescue beacon designed for anglers, pilots and back country sportsmen. With three levels of integrated signal technology - GPS positioning, a powerful 406 MHz signal, and 121.5 MHz homing capability - the ResQLink quickly and accurately relays your position to a worldwide network of search and rescue satellites. A built-in strobe light provides visibility during night rescues. PLBs have been proven tried and true in some of the world's most remote locations and treacherous conditions. Just ask the 400 or so pilots, boaters and back country explorers who were saved by a PLB during a rigorous test program in Alaska. Based in large part on the test results, the federal government approved use of PLBs in the United States in 2003. Even in extreme conditions and situations, the ResQLink activates easily. Just deploy the antenna and press the ON button. With its powerful 66 channel GPS, the ResQLink guides rescuers to within 100 meters or less of your position. And, in the continental U.S., search and rescue personnel are typically alerted of your position in as little as five minutes with a GPS-enabled PLB such as the ResQLink . Two built-in tests allow you to routinely verify that the ResQLink is functioning and ready for use - with the push of a button, you can easily test internal electronics and GPS functionality. Features. Small Size Lightweight Super Bright LED Strobe On Board 66 Channel GPS Self-Test and GPS Test Features Typical Performance of 30 Hrs. Non-Hazmat Battery Wrist Lanyard Made in the U.S.A..
    this sums it up for me

I think it's important to site the differences between this unit and a competitor "Spot" which lets you send nifty "I'm OK" messages. Spot is not a SAR 406 MHz Personal Locator Beacon. It is a GPS communicator. The Spot Communicator has been fraught with problems where tracking and personal messages have not been successfully sent. Out of 91 users on REI's website 34 have complained that they have been unable to send messages. This works out to roughly 30% chance that your message didn't make it out. The statistics are even worse for the Spot Smartphone unit. Are these the kind of odds you want in a real emergency?

What I really want is a "Help, come get me" message that will work in the event that I am in an emergency. If I'm in trouble I want my message heard, and for that I'm going to rely on a SAR 406 Mhz beacon! This thing is lightweight and small, and it lets you test it once or twice a year to confirm that it's working. That's what the 12 messages are for, not for idle chit-chat with loved ones.

Yes, it's pricier than the competition at first glance, but there are no yearly subscription fees with this. You buy it once and it's good for years. With the spot you have to pay subscription fees at or over $100 a year. In the long run this ACR is much cheaper.
    case closed in my case - gonna stick with the rescue system the pilots and pros rely on.

Out of 91 users on REI's website 34 have complained that they have been unable to send messages. This works out to roughly 30% chance that your message didn't make it out. The statistics are even worse for the Spot Smartphone unit. Are these the kind of odds you want in a real emergency?
    Whoever wrote that isnt very good at statistics. Unless out of the complaints, the device fails to send messages 100% of the time, all it means is that 30% of users have experienced message failure at one point or another.

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR

and that nitpick matters how? Sorry but too many negative reports and too costly given the subscription for something that MIGHT work and you can't tell if it doesn't.

They are very different systems. One is proven - the other iffy. And the proven one costs less over time ....what's to even think about.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    and that nitpick matters how? Sorry but too many negative reports and too costly given the subscription for something that MIGHT work and you can't tell if it doesn't.

They are very different systems. One is proven - the other iffy. And the proven one costs less over time ....what's to even think about.
    Just an FYI on a bad interpretation of statistics since it was quoted and bolded. There was no challenge to your opinion, no need to get so defensive.

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR