Looking for advise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advise

Exclamation Looking for advise

I am a new rider and looking to purchase a 2006 GSXR 600 or a 2006 Ninja 650. To the experienced riders, what do you suggest for me to buy?

If you are selling one of the above, I am willing to pay $4,000 for less than 25,000 km for either of the bike above. Of course the condition must be excellent. I may be far off the pricing but that's what I see in a lot of the for sale bikes. Again, I am new so any help will certainly be appreciated.

Re: Looking for advise

What do we suggest for a new rider?

#1: Check what your insurance will be first.
    #2: See #1.
    #3: After doing #1 and #2, your choice will be Ninja 650 because it's not 400% SS surcharged like gixxer.

My insurance for the GSXR is $1,240 and for the Ninja is $1,345. How about an SV650s? Will that be a good option for a new rider?

I thought State Farm doesn't have the 400% surcharge.. Also thought that it was a Jevco thing.. No ?
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

I think State Farm goes by CC instead of type of bike. I am not sure, but I was told they may be the best on motorcycle insurance. That's what they quoted me. That's why I am trying to figure out which bike to get because the two doesn't have much difference on insurance. Now I am looking at GSXR 600 or NINJA 650 or SV650s.

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    I thought State Farm doesn't have the 400% surcharge.. Also thought that it was a Jevco thing.. No ?
    Correct. Although no one really stated an insurance company. The quote was probably from Statefarm or TD.

It was from State Farm. Anyone can give me an dvise on the type of bike is best to get for a newbie?

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by jondebelen View Post
    Anyone can give me an dvise on the type of bike is best to get for a newbie?
    A small standard single with as little bodywork as possible.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

You can think it as like in bicycles as well: Imagine a racing bicycle, and a well-balanced mountain-bike. Which one do you think a beginner would learn how to ride a bicycle more efficiently ?

Because, what is not so obvious in the beginning from the outside is, when you are learning how to ride a motorcycle, the hard stuff are the u-turns, left-turns, right-turns and so on.. going fast on a straight line is million times easier. And in order to improve fast(er), and gain as much skills as possible as well as confidence, you want to start on a street bike, not a supersport bike like GSXR.

Read this !
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Welcome to the forum! Yes StateFarm was the lowest for insurance when I called them for quotes. About $1400-$1700 for a 500-600cc bike, and 1700+ for a 1985 700cc bike...
    As for beginner's bikes, there's way more knowledable people here than me, but for my first season I bought a CBR125 just to get a feel for riding...it's great around the city but I'm upgrading this year to a 250 as I need to ride the highway and didn't feel all that comfortable on the 125 at 100kph...
    G'luck and have fun!

The first 600 SS I ever rode was a gixer and even with experience the power took me by surprise. I'm in the camp that says a SS is too much for a new rider. If you haven't already, take the M1 exit before you buy a bike. Show up in your old highschool football jacket and borrow a bucket, make sure it's for you before you drop $4K on a bike and over $1K in gear. Just my 2 cents.

If you're like most of us and it is for you, I'd forget the gixer and stick to either of the 650s or go smaller. I love tearing around on smaller displacement bikes.
    Last edited by Wasted; 02-09-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

It was from State Farm. Anyone can give me an dvise on the type of bike is best to get for a newbie?
    State Farm rates strictly by engine displacement so, as odd as it might seem, a 600cc supersport bike will cost you more than a (effectively 'standard' style) Ninja 650R. There's a big cost and horsepower difference, but only displacement matters for the insurance in this case.

You would get cheaper coverage by getting a Ninja 400R which is a '10 Ninja 650R, with a sleeved-down engine. You would likely have to buy new, since there aren't many around, but you might find a shop that has last year's model on the floor, that they're willing to make a deal on.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I am a new rider and looking to purchase a 2006 GSXR 600 or a 2006 Ninja 650. To the experienced riders, what do you suggest for me to buy?

If you are selling one of the above, I am willing to pay $4,000 for less than 25,000 km for either of the bike above. Of course the condition must be excellent. I may be far off the pricing but that's what I see in a lot of the for sale bikes. Again, I am new so any help will certainly be appreciated.
    I know you asked "experienced" riders but I'll pitch in anyways because I think most people would tell you the same thing; 650R will be more friendly to newbies. The riding position, responsiveness, powerband, everything favours a new rider over the GSXR.

Thank you all for your suggestions. It seems I may have to go down a few cc on my first bike. Maybe a 500. I might have to upgrade next year when I am more experienced.

Thank you all for your suggestions. It seems I may have to go down a few cc on my first bike. Maybe a 500. I might have to upgrade next year when I am more experienced.
    Personally I think you`d be OK with a 650 twin like the Ninja 650 or the SV. Otherwise I guess the Ninja 500 or 400 would be an option too though. I wouldn`t get a 250 or less unless I absolutely had to cause of insurance but many here love their 125 or 250.

My personal opinion.....get the SV. Inline twins are borrrring, V twins sound awesome and are more fun. If the Ninja had a V twin engine than I`d recommend that
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

Get a 250 if you want to save on insurance, then upgrade to 600 a few years later.

you are searching for a bike in "excellent" condtion as a brand new rider. As the addage goes, theres only 2 kinds of riders. 1.) Riders that have been for a slide and 2.) Riders that haven't been for a slide, yet

I would suggest something in the 125-500 range for a beginner, and don't rule out something that has been rashed, you'll be much more upset when you do take a clean bike for its first slide. When I say rashed, I mean light plastic damage, I don't mean wrecked. If your constantly worrying about scratching your ride, you will not have 100% focus on riding. Everyone thinks "I won't crash, I'll be really really careful". You will, we all do.
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

If you get a ninja 250 like all the faq's say, you'll be able to flip it when your ready to upgrade for almost now loss. If you flip it in the summer and buy in the winter you may even make money. Follow kijiji and you'll see thats pretty much true.

you might also look at the fz6. i'd stay away from the gsxr600, yes people start on them but the learning curve is steeper than the other bikes you've talked about.

heck even 4chan recommends not getting a gsxr600 as a first bike... that's gotta be a sign right there.
    x

When I sold my 250 I only lost $200 off my purchase price. Great bike to learn on too.