even making a left in the only left turn is not always safe...

Thread: even making a left in the only left turn is not always safe...

even making a left in the only left turn is not always safe...

stumbled across this, and realized that this has happened to me more often than i care to remember

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML8PC...eature=related
    Last edited by GayManLoveIsOK; 02-08-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Re: even making a left in the only left turn is not always safe...

wow, that was close. i dont know where their brain is when they are driving!?!!
    lets ride first, there is plenty of time to worry about other ******.
    www.youtube.com/rashidme

It's not about presence or absence of brain, in most cases. It's about impatience. Never had anyone try to turn inside of you, to get around you in a left?
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I have seen this several times, fortunately it happens to me very rarely. Don't quote me but I think if you hit the guy who is coming up the inside, you are at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by JZ67 View Post
    I have seen this several times, fortunately it happens to me very rarely. Don't quote me but I think if you hit the guy who is coming up the inside, you are at fault.
    The guy, who is trying to pass you on the inside, could be charged under several different sections of the HTA but you might be found 25% at fault by insurance, depending upon how you worded your report to them.

Hint: Try not to use the word "pass."

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I've had that happen to me before as well, blocking the lane properly is a bit tough. You want to be in the 'right track' based on the lane position - but that leaves a lot of open space that looks like extra 'left turn' lane... Almost thinking that coming slightly across the lane would be better (like a right hand turn). Ride safe people, the incentive is for us to look out for ourselves (hurts us more than them if they hit us). Sucks, but kind of the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyCBR View Post
    I've had that happen to me before as well, blocking the lane properly is a bit tough. You want to be in the 'right track' based on the lane position - but that leaves a lot of open space that looks like extra 'left turn' lane... Almost thinking that coming slightly across the lane would be better (like a right hand turn). Ride safe people, the incentive is for us to look out for ourselves (hurts us more than them if they hit us). Sucks, but kind of the reality.
    I feel a little differently. I tend to be in the left tire track, which isn't the blocking position, but does let me see further past the left turning traffic, on the other side of the road. It also tends to inhibit people who are tempted to turn inside me. Sure, it isn't what they teach, but it works for me. At specific times. Based on what I perceive and my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    I feel a little differently. I tend to be in the left tire track, which isn't the blocking position, but does let me see further past the left turning traffic, on the other side of the road. It also tends to inhibit people who are tempted to turn inside me. Sure, it isn't what they teach, but it works for me. At specific times. Based on what I perceive and my experience.
    Yeah good point about seeing more, I'll have to see if that feels better when I get back on the bike. It'll be my second season, so I'm still learning the practical experience based tips

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyCBR View Post
    Yeah good point about seeing more, I'll have to see if that feels better when I get back on the bike. It'll be my second season, so I'm still learning the practical experience based tips
    You'll have to see where you feel comfortable, in the lane. I generally like maybe 1/3 from the right which gives me a geed vantage point but not far enough left that it tempts people to go around my right, and not close enough to the centre that I'm in the crap that drips from cars.

I've had somebody trying to pass me on an on-ramp.
    Some people don't belong behind a steering wheel.
    Mina

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

I thought that bikes were so quick off the start, that they never hold up the traffic behind them.

It doesn't matter if the guy is coming up on the left or on the right, it doesn't matter who hits who, the biker is the one who will be hurt.
    Some of these people I let go ahead, and some I leave behind, it depends on which way is safer for me at that time.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    I thought that bikes were so quick off the start, that they never hold up the traffic behind them.

It doesn't matter if the guy is coming up on the left or on the right, it doesn't matter who hits who, the biker is the one who will be hurt.
    Some of these people I let go ahead, and some I leave behind, it depends on which way is safer for me at that time.
    Sometimes the guy behind you starts rolling, before the light changes, to try and get around you. Sometimes you just want to play it safe and not hit someone who is making a right, from the oncoming lanes. Any number of situations can result in this.