Yay first ticket. Quick question.

Thread: Yay first ticket. Quick question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yay first ticket. Quick question.

I was doing a right turn at a stoplight with no cars in sight on the road.

After the turn a undercover cop immediately pulled me over. He claimed I ran the red light by not "coming to a complete stop" or at least in his perspective.

He wrote me a lovely $325 ticket with 3 demerit points.

My question is though, he pulled me over for "running a red" on the lights at Lakeridge Rd. and Bayly St. But my ticket, he wrote I ran a light at Audley Rd. and Bayly St. which is a set of lights that are a block further down.

Does this pretty much render the ticket untrue instantly, since the ticket claims I commited the offence of ST RED LGHT - FAIL TO STOP at AUDLEY RD AND BAYLY ST? When I was never at that light?

Edit: Also after giving me the ticket, he immediately told me to do option 3 and go to court... I feel like he did this on purpose to meet a quota? But that's just my speculation.
    Thanks. Any advice or tips would be appreciated for fighting it!
    Last edited by calvin_chan; 02-06-2012 at 10:48 PM.
    '08 Hurricane White CBR125R - SOLD
    '11 Metallic Black CBR 250RA

Re: Yay first ticket. Quick question.

One thing is for sure, Lakeridge and Bayly isnt a "rural" road.

Its a major city street. As for your ticket you may have grounds for fighting it. Maybe go see the JP and see what he/she says .
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Well in my mind I just think of lakeridge as more of a rural road than a street inside a town, but that's more further up north I suppose. I don't consider bayly a rural road :P

Thanks for the advice though!
    '08 Hurricane White CBR125R - SOLD
    '11 Metallic Black CBR 250RA

Unfortunately an incorrect location, on the citation, isn't a fatal error. I don't understand that myself, since the location can invalidate the charge itself, but that's the way it is.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

take it to court...it's points, that's gonna hurt...i would argue that the incident did not happen at the location specified on the ticket and say no more...it'll be worth your time to do so rather than have your insurance go up for the next 3 years...

Quote Originally Posted by GayManLoveIsOK View Post
    take it to court...it's points, that's gonna hurt...i would argue that the incident did not happen at the location specified on the ticket and say no more...it'll be worth your time to do so rather than have your insurance go up for the next 3 years...
    This is very risky, I wouldn't necessarily go this route.

I would 100 % fight it though. Location wrong isn't a fatal error as Rob explained, however, it is a good enough error to go to court on.

However, I wouldn't lay it all down on the location, I would also argue that you did come to a complete stop. (if that is true of course.)
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.