Question re: Harley 2008 Ultra Classic Electra Glide - removing battery

Thread: Question re: Harley 2008 Ultra Classic Electra Glide - removing battery

Question re: Harley 2008 Ultra Classic Electra Glide - removing battery

Hi -

A friend asked for assistance in removing the battery from his harley (obv he's not mechanically inclined...)

I'm comfortable assisting it as I do a few things on my sportsbike but I hate surprises so did some research:

1. Instructions here and here seem straightforward. I have a torx head screwdriver so I'm good to go, right?

2. Alarm system - according to this post, apparently you have to have the fob and ignition in "on" position (to deactivate the alarm). Can I just disconnect the battery after that or do I really have to remove the maxi fuse?

3. Is the re-installation the opposite of #2 and #1? Or should I really spend the effort to remove the maxi-fuse? If so, it is easy to find and easy to remove? (quick google didn't tell me where this is located, although for an older model it was in the left-front - or does anyone know for sure?)

Thanks for any advice on this.
    2006 Yamaha R6 Blue
    Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper (Blue), Motovation Bar Ends and No-cut Frame Sliders, Swingarm Slider/Spools, Custom Dynamics Integrated LED Tail Light, Flush Mount Front and Rear Turn Signals, Yamaha Passenger Seat Cowl, Scorpio i-900 alarm, Boxer 5108 disk lock with alarm.

Re: Question re: Harley 2008 Ultra Classic Electra Glide - removing battery

With HD's with alarm, you must have the ignition on and FOB in hand before you pull the fuse. Then, disconnect the battery.

It will have a big orange cover on the positive (red) wire. Owners manual should say where it is located (usually under side covers) but you can also follow the harness to the fuse box.

Re-connect battery connections first. Fuse will be last thing you put back, and the ignition should still be on. If the alarm does go off, which it shouldn't, just cycle the ignition switch off and then on again.
    Can't we settle this over a pint?

They must have radically changed the wiring and alarm systems in the '08 model year... all I do with my '07 is remove the battery hold down, then the positive post wires, then the negative posts wires, then pull the battery out. Don't need to turn the ignition on or have the key fob with me or remove any fuses and have never had any issues with the factory alarm when removing or installing.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

We just did the job (after repeated delays in scheduling)... it turns out you don't need to remove the maxi-fuse - just turn on the ignition with the fob nearby and then disconnect the battery. However, the top caddy covering the battery and the solenoid assembly that was on top of the caddy was very hard to remove/get out of the way. The instruction manual wasn't very clear. It took us probably an hour to do it. However, now that the guy has experience removing the battery, it should take 30 minutes max the next time (hopefully).
    2006 Yamaha R6 Blue
    Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper (Blue), Motovation Bar Ends and No-cut Frame Sliders, Swingarm Slider/Spools, Custom Dynamics Integrated LED Tail Light, Flush Mount Front and Rear Turn Signals, Yamaha Passenger Seat Cowl, Scorpio i-900 alarm, Boxer 5108 disk lock with alarm.