bike classifications!

Thread: bike classifications!

bike classifications!

just read the stickies chart viffer wrote up, out of curiosity, anyone know whether sport touring (ie. kawasaki 400r) belongs to sport+SS or non-sport?

Re: bike classifications!

Quote Originally Posted by devil999 View Post
    just read the stickies chart viffer wrote up, out of curiosity, anyone know whether sport touring (ie. kawasaki 400r) belongs to sport+SS or non-sport?
    A ninja 400r is a sport bike. Regardless, I don't really understand what you're expecting to get out of this. If you read the chart, it says More than 600CCs (supersport) or less than 600CCs (sport). Not to sound like a ***... but I'm pretty sure 400 is less than 600.

Banned

y dont u call an insurance company and get a quote?
    im sure you'll get a more solid answer than here.
    all u have to do is pick up the phone..

thank you captain obvious for pointing out that 400 is less than 600, i think i can handle numbers on my own. The Canadian public school system is not as bad as you may think.

If you knew your bikes , you would immediately guessed where the dilemma is, to put it in SIMPLE terms, im not referring to the displacement of the bike, rather the classification of the bikes, during my stay in hong kong and japan (latter where the bikes are from), the so called "sport touring" (in Canada) has 2 separate classification of its own, "sport touring" and "Standard", the difference between the two comes down to the mere chassis layout and whether they have fairings or the location of the fairings.
    In example, the Er6n and the 400r have the same engine (minor difference in bore and stroke+cc), same chassis and some fairings, they are considered "sport touring" for the 400r and "standard" for the er6n (insurance is cheaper for standard).
    So i think my question on whether canadian sport touring class consists of the "standard" class or does it fall into the category of "NON-SPORT? seems pretty legit no?

next time maybe research a bit before you go off pointing what seems to be "obvious", commenting without a intelligent response is as useful as not commenting at all
    Last edited by devil999; 02-06-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by in-your-face View Post
    y dont u call an insurance company and get a quote?
    im sure you'll get a more solid answer than here.
    all u have to do is pick up the phone..
    I am not here for a quote (nowhere in my thread have i asked for one. I just have a classification problem.

The classification will depend on the insurance company.

I am not here for a quote (nowhere in my thread have i asked for one. I just have a classification problem.

I am not aware of any insurance company that considers a 400 Ninja to be a SuperSport.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

thank you captain obvious for pointing out that 400 is less than 600, i think i can handle numbers on my own. The Canadian public school system is not as bad as you may think.

If you knew your bikes , you would immediately guessed where the dilemma is, to put it in SIMPLE terms, im not referring to the displacement of the bike, rather the classification of the bikes, during my stay in hong kong and japan (latter where the bikes are from), the so called "sport touring" (in Canada) has 2 separate classification of its own, "sport touring" and "Standard", the difference between the two comes down to the mere chassis layout and whether they have fairings or the location of the fairings.
    In example, the Er6n and the 400r have the same engine (minor difference in bore and stroke+cc), same chassis and some fairings, they are considered "sport touring" for the 400r and "standard" for the er6n (insurance is cheaper for standard).
    So i think my question on whether canadian sport touring class consists of the "standard" class or does it fall into the category of "NON-SPORT? seems pretty legit no?

next time maybe research a bit before you go off pointing what seems to be "obvious", commenting without a intelligent response is as useful as not commenting at all

Well how am I supposed to know whether you're intelligent enough to figure that our yourself?

Maybe you should take your own advice and do a little research yourself by making a 5 min call to an insurance company with your bike classification question.
    Last edited by PLau; 02-06-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Actually I had a fair bit of difficulty finding insurance for my ER-6n because many insurance companies consider it to be a sportbike, including the company I had been with for 25 years.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

^^^ LOLZ!
    I call this Rage Knowledge.

Anyone got good ideas for a rage comic for this? XD
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    Current: '90 GSXR 750
    2nd: '08 Suzuki GS500F (SOLD)
    [Yoshimura TRS Slip-on; K&N Hi-Flo filter; Fenderectomy; Sprockets (F -1/15T-JT | R +2/46T-Driven) ; Renthal Gold Chain; AVON AV45/46 tyres (17K kms and counting) ]
    1st: '08 Honda CBR125R (SOLD)
    [Arrow Slip-on]

"Four wheels carries your body; two wheels carries your soul."
    "I don't ride to be seen, I ride to disappear."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Actually I had a fair bit of difficulty finding insurance for my ER-6n because many insurance companies consider it to be a sportbike, including the company I had been with for 25 years.
    Same deal with my VFR
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    Same deal with my VFR
    My old insurer wouldn't cover the ER, because it was a 'sportbike', but had been covering my VFR for 9 years and would have covered a new one

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

My insurer considered the GS500 f to be a "sport" bike as well. But they came up with a 500 dollar quote so I figured Potato PoTAto.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

My old insurer wouldn't cover the ER, because it was a 'sportbike', but had been covering my VFR for 9 years and would have covered a new one
    Sorry. My mixup.

They would insure my VFR...but with a surcharge.
    I had to argue quite hard with them.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    Sorry. My mixup.

They would insure my VFR...but with a surcharge.
    I had to argue quite hard with them.
    My insurer would either insure or not insure. They didn't have a surcharge list.

They would not insure the ER-6n or Ninja 650R, but would insure the Versys 650, despite the fact that these are all largely the same bike.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 02-08-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Just goes to show how stupid/ridiculous insurance companies can be.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36

Quote Originally Posted by Dayao12 View Post
    ^^^ LOLZ!
    I call this Rage Knowledge.

Anyone got good ideas for a rage comic for this? XD

hey, anything to make the dummies realize how stupid they are, thats my motto!

see thats my dilemma, the er6n is suppose to be a standard bike (non-sport), yet they charge sport

Jevco doesn't consider anything below 600cc to be a sport - and the ER-6n is more akin to a sport-touring, hence, also not considered sport by Jevco, and not surcharged.
    Aleks Hara - Registered Insurance Broker
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

AHARA@CSIB.ORG
    T:416-798-8001 ext 311
    T:1-888-768-8001 ext 311
    F:905-264-5178

"Cornerstone - Your broker of choice - We make it simple!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks Hara View Post
    Jevco doesn't consider anything below 600cc to be a sport - and the ER-6n is more akin to a sport-touring, hence, also not considered sport by Jevco, and not surcharged.
    Which is why I'm currently with Jevco, through you guys