Milton - Vancouver on R6 - July 2012 - Page 5

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Milton - Vancouver on R6 - July 2012

Re: Milton - Vancouver on R6 - July 2012

OP since you are on a bike with limited storage I would buy a knapsack with a section specifically for a lappie.

I use a SwissGear down here in Aus - there are lots of different ones and you can see all the pockets and there are many more inside and out.

- that way all your valuable stuff does not need to be unpacked when you go into eat etc. The lappie fits tight against my back so the weight is kept close to your body and I find the straps easy to get on and off with good adjustments...
    I would not however trust it in full rain so pack a few lappie sized ziplocks ( take ziplocks of various sizes - they are superbly useful.
    There are so many good pockets all over it's one of the best bits of travelling gear I own and use it as a carryon for international travel.

I find having all the stuff easy at hand makes it easy to just hop off the bike instead of sorting to find bits and pieces.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 03-19-2012 at 02:53 AM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

double post
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

I am trying to avoid using a backpack because of the extra drag and weight on myself while riding. I think it will fategue me alot quicker and will not be as enjoyable riding. I use a backpack around town going to school and work and when it is empty or with very little in it it is fine but there are alot of straps on it and some tap my helmet. and i also notice the drag diffrence when i take it off.
    2002 Yamaha R6
    Americana Soft Seats Costom Gelled Seat
    Hindle Slip-on, K&N Air FilterProton Flush Mount Signals
    Red Rim Stripe
    8k HIDs

Won't add to drag - it's in your wind shadow. Will be some weight but I suspect you're gonna need the space and the vibration on the bike is gonna be hard on any electronics for that kind of distance.
    Make sure you get some long test rides in. See what works.

No decent backback should have flapping straps....never have anything banging around with mine. Up to you.

Won't add to drag - it's in your wind shadow. Will be some weight but I suspect you're gonna need the space and the vibration on the bike is gonna be hard on any electronics for that kind of distance.
    Make sure you get some long test rides in. See what works.

No decent backback should have flapping straps....never have anything banging around with mine. Up to you.

I know if I was riding that far, and I was going to wear a back pack, the back pack would be full.

I also know that when I ride with a full back pack, my back gets sore fast. What a catch 22.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post
    I also know that when I ride with a full back pack, my back gets sore fast. What a catch 22.
    ..That's what I was thinking lol

Maybe ill research some no drag motorcycle backpacks for my laptop.. Any one have recommendations?
    2002 Yamaha R6
    Red Rim Stripe
    8k HIDs

Quote Originally Posted by gjones4487 View Post
    I will be picking up a Bungee Net (any suggestions on sizes?) to secure eveything on (tent duffel, sleeping bag, jerry can, etc.)
    You're better off with straps (with delrin buckles, MEC has a wide variety of lengths, very affordable) to secure your stuff. With straps, you can tie down your stuff very snugly, whereas bungie nets always leave some wobble in the load that may shift with time. You might want to tie down the larger/heavier items with straps and top it off with a bungie net under which you slip smaller/lighter items to complete the load.

Just make sure you protect the paint where the straps (or the nets) touch it to prevent paint damages. I use a piece of blue masking tape over the painted area, plus a piece of duct tape on top of the masking tape (they make duct tape in various colors, to try and harmonize with your bike's color).

Have a great trip!
    Robert
    '02 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    '91 BMW K1 (sold)

The first point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

I know if I was riding that far, and I was going to wear a back pack, the back pack would be full.
    That's called discipline - people pack way too much stuff.
    I've found the SwissGear stuff good quality and a wide variety - the KLR has minimum protection up front but never even noticed the back pack - that said speeds were 80-100k.

Carrying water is another aspect too - some use a camel back/backpack combo. Dehydration is a real risk and it creeps up on you. I suppose the tank bag can carry some for on the fly rehydrate and munchies.

Might have been mentioned but RideOn is highly recommended http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html
    Last edited by MacDoc; 03-21-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Came across these straps - they look good

http://www.rokstraps.com/

I'm a big fan of the RokStraps. I've used them with great success - I'd never use bungees again.

And it is possible to tour carrying very little, some serious thought needs to be put into it, though. I'd recommend going to a Tilley store, and picking up a couple of pairs of their travel underwear and travel socks. They're silly expensive, but worth it simply because you can carry so much less.

The underwear is very easily washable, and it dries quickly. This means that you can take 2 or 3 pairs, and simply wash one pair in a sink at the end of the day. It will be dry in the morning.

Their socks don't get stinky, even in the heat, for a couple of days. They don't wash as well as the underwear, but unless your feet sweat a lot, it means you can wear the same socks over and over again. One pair for the bike (who cares how they smell when you're riding) and another pair for off the bike.

Columbia or the like travel shirts are a good idea too. They're not cotton, which means they don't get rank, and they're good in the heat and the cold. Check out Mark's Work Wearhouse, or Bass Pro Shops. Tilley has these too, but they're way too expensive.

At the end of the day, you should be able to pack light and small - minimalist style. And look at it this way, if it turns out you really really needed something that you chose not to pack, there's a WalMart everywhere.

I've done laundry on the road before as well - perhaps packing for half the trip and doing laundry en route is soemthing to think about.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

+1 - the technical fabrics are great - dry quick - pack small and designed to keep water away from your skin as hypothermia can hit you surprisingly hard even at moderate temps if you are wearing cotton and get sweaty then ride.
    I love Columbia gear - wears like crazy and the sizes are accurate.

Take a hat as well - you'll be doing some sight seeing and nothing worse than getting beat on by the sun with no hat available. I prefer something with a neck shield but depends on how much sightseeing you will do.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 03-29-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Another option for base layer is Merino wool. It's light , will keep you warm or cool and won't stink like the synthetic base layers.
    They sell a good selection at MEC.

It itches tho so you need a slik underlayer and it takes it's own sweet time to dry. Great warmth tho not so sure about cool.

I was thinking of getting a Merino wool shirt for warmth and VnM shirt and pants for cool ..
    2002 Yamaha R6
    Red Rim Stripe
    8k HIDs

That''s what I use - I wear a loose fitting Nike Dri-fit long sleeve under the merino and sometimes just the drifit under a shirt - the dri-fit shirt is nice to sleep in as well

Just try the merino against you skin - some people like me find it very itchy - others it does not bother.

OP, thanks for doing the hard work for me. (I'm planning a Toronto to Vancouver trip for the month of August)

One question: are you sure you need the laptop? Would you be better suited with an iPad or a netbook? Or do you need it to edit your GoPro videos while on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
    OP, thanks for doing the hard work for me. (I'm planning a Toronto to Vancouver trip for the month of August)

One question: are you sure you need the laptop? Would you be better suited with an iPad or a netbook? Or do you need it to edit your GoPro videos while on the road?
    Any time had a lot of help from the helpful people on this form
    I actually picked up a Acer Android Tablet this week for my trip, I'm going to use it for a posible follow along thread and for file transfers from my camera and GoPro to my Portable Hard Drive.
    2002 Yamaha R6
    Red Rim Stripe
    8k HIDs

Plowing Beartooth...Just started ....for U.S. Memorial Day weekend opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CRkOKyirNNo

Wow! That's a decent amount of snow! Can't wait untill July!
    2002 Yamaha R6
    Red Rim Stripe
    8k HIDs