Wrote M1, booked Safety Course...now wife freaking out? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrote M1, booked Safety Course...now wife freaking out?

Re: Wrote M1, booked Safety Course...now wife freaking out?

It's not just wives that are scared - there are tons of paranoid husbands out there too My husband didn't believe me and thought I was joking until I returned with my M1 in hand. He even went as far as calling my mother to tattle on me but was put in his place when she revealed that she had her license for over 30 years. He made his feeling known and told me it was my decision but still email bombs me when he hears of an accident.

If your wife loves you, she will understand that this is something you've always wanted to do. If not, she can do what my husband did - doubled my life insurance! As least I know how much I'm worth to him!
    Current Ride - 2000 Honda CBR F4

If quitters never win and winners never quit, then who is the fool who said, "Quit while you're ahead"?

Buy life insurance and make her the beneficiary.

You are both partners for life and if you crap out because you made a decision that is viewed by many to be the wrong one, then at least you are not leaving her holding the bag.
    2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Midnight Custom

Buy her a jacket and give her some BS about wanting to ride with her on the back, spending more time with her, touring to some gay place she always wanted to go to, and sharing some special time with her, you, and the open road. If she still says no ask her if she would be more open to a threesome with her best friend.
    Sleeping is my drug,
    My bed is my dealer,
    and my alarm clock
    is the police.

Since you had already discussed your intention to get your "M" with your wife and were under the impression you had her support I don't see how she could expect you to just drop everything now that she has had a change of heart. That is the reason you discuss choices that could affect you as a couple before taking the next steps like making a payment that may or may not be refundable.

I think you should continue through with the M2 training and assure her that the training, which is completed within a closed course, is completely safe. As others have suggested, take her along to speak to the instructors because it might calm her fears. It might also help when she sees just how passionate you, the other students and the instructors are when it comes to riding. Who knows, she might even want to become a rider herself.

Fortunately I did not have this problem because I had my bike licence for 5 years before I was married. My wife used to ride with me before we had kids, then once we had kids she suggested I take them for rides. My only issues were with parents, mine were not happy about a bike and hers were even less pleased. Over the years they eventually came around and accepted the fact that I ride a bike. I have been riding for over 35 years and it is a very important part of who I am.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

Already got the life insurance wormburner's post seemed to hit it right on the button. I too don't want to start doing these things at 50+.

I'm going to follow through with the course, I've got all the equipment, I've got my M1, riding gear and the mindset to follow through right now. I'm going to the early April RTI course at Mosport

Next up the final test, bringing a bike home.

I've been looking at a Kawasaki Ninja 250R, I was at GPBikes the other day and the guy there was trying to talk me into a 07 500R instead of a 250. I guess its because they only have a 500R there for sale. I think a 500R is a bit too much bike for me, those that have rode both is it really a good bike to start out on, or should I stick to my guns and aim for a 250?

Quote Originally Posted by bikermahn View Post
    I've been looking at a Kawasaki Ninja 250R, I was at GPBikes the other day and the guy there was trying to talk me into a 07 500R instead of a 250. I guess its because they only have a 500R there for sale. I think a 500R is a bit too much bike for me, those that have rode both is it really a good bike to start out on, or should I stick to my guns and aim for a 250?
    The Kawi 500R and the Suzuki GS500 are both great, widely used beginner bikes. Even though they are 500, they aren't overly powerful. They are also very forgiving. I believe they are more comfortable to use on the highway because of their added weight and power (I have no experience with a 250 on the highway). The insurance should still be relatively low, as well.

There should be a bunch of threads in here somewhere about great beginner bikes. They are well worth a read!

EDIT: If you are anywhere near the downtown, and want to check out my bike to see how it feels (it's a GS500) then give me a shout via PM
    Last edited by tricky; 02-03-2012 at 11:59 AM.

I had the same trouble when I came back with my M1, but we talked and she warmed up to the whole thing. Now that I bought the bike she wants to do the rider's course too...

First off the issue with the wife. Having your wife worried about you riding just shows she cares. Mine didnt want me to get another bike after I sold my last one but I sat her down and explained to her that riding is part of my life. It was something on my bucket list and after riding once, i have never looked back.

As to the bikes, id go with either the ninja 250 or the ninja 500 over the gs. Not saying that the gs is a bad bike but the ninja is liquid cooled where as the gs is air cooled. The newer ninja 250s are sharp looking bikes. The 500s not so much. I has a 1986 ninja 250 (the nice one with step up seat) and rode it for a few years. It was my third bike and I always had fun on it. They top out around 160 and can carry a passenger no problem. For learning the 250 really is a great bike. If you buy used you can usually sell after a year for the same price as you bought it for. Buy during winter and sell during spring and you can probably make money off of it.

I am sorry that your wife is having such a hard time. When my husband got his bike I was surprised and a bit skeptical. Then I saw how much fun he was having and he really loved it, he just seemed happier. Well last year I got my M2. It was not easy but I got it now I ride my own bike a Suzuki GSXF 650 and I love it. I cannot wait for spring to come as can he. We are really enjoying it, many of our neighbours are riding now to and it so much fun!
    Suzuki 650 GSXF

There are a few 250's and 500's around where I am that have been for sale since last year and still available. I'm going to try and check them out, I guess I won't shy to much away from a 500R as long as it feels comfortable when I sit on it. I know the 250R felt good when I sat on it, nice height and good positioning. I hate how in bike showrooms they put these things so darn close together.

Thanks for the input everyone

I have a very cool wife. We've been married almost 23 years. When I said I was going for my M1 she said "If you are taking the riding course then I'm going too!" We both wrote the M1 test, then took the course, and both passed our M1 exit. We bought a Virago 250 to share while we learned the basics then I just bought a Virago 1100 just this week. Why not get her onto a bike as well?

Unless she's a whore in the bedroom, a chef in the kitchen, and a best friend in the living room, I'd tell her to stuff it.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

Wait a minute... We're allowed to date people that don't ride?!
    Holy €ге%!!

my gf (now fiancee) was very upset when i bought a motorcycle, but she was all good after i took her out for several rides, and she actually likes it.

My wife's underlying feelings are simply we have two kids, i'm the only one working right now as she didn't make enough to justify going back to work. Joint decision, not just her wanting to be lazy :P I get it I totally do, but I just can't not do it. Assured her I would take all the precautions, safety course, a smaller bike and learn the ropes. I've said my part she has said her part, in the end she does support me to do what makes me happy, i'm sure as time goes on she will get more accustomed to it.

I am buying a 94 Ninja 250, in real good shape, and very cheap. Going to cost more for equipment/courses than the bike is costing.

I'd like to respond to this thread from the other side.....I'm 55 and started riding last June just before my birthday. When I was a young man (many years ago) living under my parents roof, the notion of riding and owning a bike was so far removed from reality that I didn't really pursue it, knowing the attitude I would be facing. I'd always been somewhat of a speed freak, owning a good number of sports/sporty cars, but a bike just seemed unreachable. Fast forward a few years.....education, moving out, getting established in my career.....the parental attitudes were still there, plus the money wasn't. I didn't marry until 42, had our son at 45. My good wife had always been aware of my vehicular interests, but I assumed (once again) that a bike was a no-go, especially with a young son at home. My parents are now both gone and there was some money in the pot.....out of the blue last May my wife suggested "why don't you get yourself a bike" while watching me read a bike magazine. I didn't need to be asked twice....in short order I had written the M1, booked the safety course at Humber and purchased a bike and gear. Looking back a year, I would have never guessed that I'd ever ride a bike....funny how things turn out.

To the OP: I had a very similar problem. What somehow helped was getting a 500k life insurance, which turned out to somewhat ease her worries a little bit
    Current: 2003 Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Previous ride: 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Give her time she might come around........Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ABCarr View Post
    I'd like to respond to this thread from the other side.....I'm 55 and started riding last June just before my birthday. When I was a young man (many years ago) living under my parents roof, the notion of riding and owning a bike was so far removed from reality that I didn't really pursue it, knowing the attitude I would be facing. I'd always been somewhat of a speed freak, owning a good number of sports/sporty cars, but a bike just seemed unreachable. Fast forward a few years.....education, moving out, getting established in my career.....the parental attitudes were still there, plus the money wasn't. I didn't marry until 42, had our son at 45. My good wife had always been aware of my vehicular interests, but I assumed (once again) that a bike was a no-go, especially with a young son at home. My parents are now both gone and there was some money in the pot.....out of the blue last May my wife suggested "why don't you get yourself a bike" while watching me read a bike magazine. I didn't need to be asked twice....in short order I had written the M1, booked the safety course at Humber and purchased a bike and gear. Looking back a year, I would have never guessed that I'd ever ride a bike....funny how things turn out.
    Nice one! Good that you finally have the taste of being as a biker!

Quote Originally Posted by bikermahn View Post
    My wife's underlying feelings are simply we have two kids, i'm the only one working right now as she didn't make enough to justify going back to work. Joint decision, not just her wanting to be lazy :P I get it I totally do, but I just can't not do it. Assured her I would take all the precautions, safety course, a smaller bike and learn the ropes. I've said my part she has said her part, in the end she does support me to do what makes me happy, i'm sure as time goes on she will get more accustomed to it.

I am buying a 94 Ninja 250, in real good shape, and very cheap. Going to cost more for equipment/courses than the bike is costing.
    I was talking to my friends (he's a rider) girlfriend of many years the other day, she said everytime he goes out on the bike she worries. That being said, she is now showing some interest in riding herself.

Riding is one of those things... I wouldn't feel comfortable about any of my family being on a bike, but if they tell me to stop, I'll punch them in the face.