ABCarr, my story is similar, except I didn't get a bike earlier not only because of parental influence, but also because I was a restless idiot and I realized I probably would have killed myself on two wheels. The things I did (do) driving four wheels scare most of my passengers, but I haven't had an at-fault accident in 35+ years. They don't seem to realize how much attention I'm paying to the road and traffic and they get surprised, when I am expecting the idiot moves (it helps that I learned to drive in Boston I guess). Anyway, at 54 I decided I was mature enough to not kill myself and I found a bike I had always wanted; a 1975 Honda CB200t that a coworker was selling and haven't looked back. Similar to the OP, I thought my wife was on target with this and would probably get her M1 etc. as well, but not yet. Maybe this year after we sell the house she'll realize she has the time. It also helps that I don't live in the GTA as that place is crazy to travel in; no offence to those that do, but I hate it.