Wrote M1, booked Safety Course...now wife freaking out?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrote M1, booked Safety Course...now wife freaking out?

Wrote M1, booked Safety Course...now wife freaking out?

I thought I had this all sorted out Wife was ok with it, then I wrote the M1, and booked my Safety Course yesterday. Suddenly she now cries and says bikes scare her she doesn't like them.Any of you guys have this situation? I was thinking to at least hold my ground and get my M2, then I've got 2-3 years to convince her and get a bike. Its not like I have never been on a bike, before i met her I had a dirtbike growing up. Any suggestions? Unfortunatly giving up the wife isn't an option

Re: Wrote M1, booked Safety Course...now wife freaking out?

Quote Originally Posted by bikermahn View Post
    I thought I had this all sorted out Wife was ok with it, then I wrote the M1, and booked my Safety Course yesterday. Suddenly she now cries and says bikes scare her she doesn't like them.Any of you guys have this situation? I was thinking to at least hold my ground and get my M2, then I've got 2-3 years to convince her and get a bike. Its not like I have never been on a bike, before i met her I had a dirtbike growing up. Any suggestions? Unfortunatly giving up the wife isn't an option
    Sounds like she uses tears to control you. I'd post a pic of your wife to see if she's hot enough to give up on your hopes and dreams.
    New to me for 2012.

Lol... Maybe she didn't think you were really going to go through with it?
    I had a similar problem with my parents when I told them I'm getting a bike.
    They were all fine and dandy and when I brought the bike home, all hell broke loose.
    Eventually, they learned to respect my decision...
    Can't blame them though, riding is dangerous by nature and you have to be very careful out there.

My girl wants to get her M1/M2 this season and maybe get a bike... I don't know how I feel about that either.
    As cool as it would be for her to have her own bike, I'd feel like crap if anything happened to her knowing that I got her into it.
    She'll be 2 upping for now... we'll see what happens.
    Mina

Maybe bring her to watch a part of the riding course and/or talk to one of the instructors? They really (obviously) teach very safe, very good riding techniques.. it might make her rethink her stance on bikes

Well - it's a darn good thing that you didn't sign HER up for the course eh?

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    Lol... Maybe she didn't think you were really going to go through with it?
    I had a similar problem with my parents when I told them I'm getting a bike.
    They were all fine and dandy and when I brought the bike home, all hell broke loose.
    Eventually, they learned to respect my decision...
    Can't blame them though, riding is dangerous by nature and you have to be very careful out there.
    I think the same might have happened to me as well -- Told them about wanting to try this all out, bought the gear during boxing week, booked with RTI, and even informed them of the bike I am getting (CBR250R with ABS, so it has both lower power and a slightly more forgiving breaking system since I am a learner). It wasn't until I put the actual down payment on the bike that I started hearing a different story...I guess because now it is more or less 'real'. They know I've always been the type to look multiple times before leaping, therefore I'm hoping they also become more 'ok' with it over time (unless I go out and buy a litre supersport lol).
    I am the Stig's father's brother's cousin's nephew's former roommate.

Bike: 2011 Honda CBR250R ABS - T-Rex Frame Sliders, Sato Spools, Tankslapper Film, TechSpec SS Tankpads, Fastpack Tail Bag
    Cage: 2006 Honda Accord V6 6spd Coupe - AEM V2, HFP Suspension, TL-S Sway, CT Shortshift, Partial Exhaust

Let's not cloud the issue...OP is talking about his wife, not his mommy.
    New to me for 2012.

Unfortunatly giving up the wife isn't an option
    Part of being a good husband is to have selective hearing.

Ignore her and if she doesn't like it, show her the door.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

So what's the problem? She isn't going to be on it. Now you have someting to go do and get away from her when she starts crying.

I understand exactly what the OP is going through. My wife was outright ****** when I told her that I wanted to finally follow through on the dream of riding a motorcycle. She talked about how I had to consider not only my safety, but the consequences for our kids if anything ever happened to me. And you know what?.... She was right.

That said, she ultimately understood that I'm a grown man and had to make the decision myself. I gave her some assurances about when and where I would ride while I was in the learning stage. And when I did go to buy my CBR250R, she was upset. She calmed a little when i told her I didn't want to be 55 one day and resent HER for stopping me from following my heart.

When it comes down to it, you're only on this planet for a fixed amount of time. Be understanding of your wife's feelings, hear her out, but you don't want to one day say, "I wish I had."

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
    Sounds like she uses tears to control you. I'd post a pic of your wife to see if she's hot enough to give up on your hopes and dreams.

Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by wormburner View Post
    When it comes down to it, you're only on this planet for a fixed amount of time. Be understanding of your wife's feelings, hear her out, but you don't want to one day say, "I wish I had."Good luck
    That's the truth right there.

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    with a Two Bros Exhaust, X-TRE
    2010 GSXR-1000 (SOLD)
    2007 GSXR-600 (SOLD)

"I hate when people fight over the internet... OOO whatcha going to do, caps lock me to death..."

She calmed a little when i told her I didn't want to be 55 one day and resent HER for stopping me from following my heart.
    POW! Right in the kisser!
    2007 sv1000s- yeah baby
    2001 sv650s- sold

Ask her would she rather you cheat on her with a bike, or a girl with a bike.
    New to me for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by mastahjay69 View Post
    POW! Right in the kisser!
    ....Exactly.

if you are always upfront and honest with your wife, so that she knows when you talk about something, you really mean it, then it would come as no surprise when it happens.

if however, you tend to talk a lot, but not follow through, then yeah, i'd say you kinda set yourself up for failure.

that being said, i will echo two things: life's too bloody short, and if they really love you they will want you to be happy.

. . .falling short of that, just remind her that your life insurance is fully paid up. . .

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    Maybe bring her to watch a part of the riding course and/or talk to one of the instructors? They really (obviously) teach very safe, very good riding techniques.. it might make her rethink her stance on bikes
    I agree with this. My wife was a little concerned when I first mentioned it but after talking with her and explaining its something I always wanted to do and explaining I was going to do the riding course she became ok with it. Just talk with her, she will come to her senses!

I don't agree. If they don't like it they don't like it. It is hard to change the opinions of adults - esp if it scares them. I've had many guy friends have bikes, get girl/wife, fight over it for a few years and then just give up and sell it.

She may never get over her issue. Just remember that and whether it is worth the fight. If it is - go for it.

I understand exactly what the OP is going through. My wife was outright ****** when I told her that I wanted to finally follow through on the dream of riding a motorcycle. She talked about how I had to consider not only my safety, but the consequences for our kids if anything ever happened to me. And you know what?.... She was right.

That said, she ultimately understood that I'm a grown man and had to make the decision myself. I gave her some assurances about when and where I would ride while I was in the learning stage. And when I did go to buy my CBR250R, she was upset. She calmed a little when i told her I didn't want to be 55 one day and resent HER for stopping me from following my heart.

When it comes down to it, you're only on this planet for a fixed amount of time. Be understanding of your wife's feelings, hear her out, but you don't want to one day say, "I wish I had."

Good luck
    OP. IMHO, this is probably the best response. Very wise words. There's no need to disrespect your wife, as some others have suggested.
    2007 Honda CBR125r
    Prov. 15:1
    John 8:7