Interior of gas tank

Thread: Interior of gas tank

Interior of gas tank

Hi,
    I am looking into buying a bike and was checking the inside of the gas tank for rust. I saw this blue-ish paint coating on the inside/bottom of the gas tank. Is that normal for steel gas tank? Or is it a sign of prior rust removal.

Thanks a lot
    Last edited by 3h2b; 02-01-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Re: Interior of gas tank

What bike has a stainless steel gas tank? My guess is the tank is normal steel and coated from prior rust-treatment (or it's a plastic tank).

sorry steel gas tank. its not a plastic tank for sure.

I usually see metal in a metal tank (no blue at bottom) Who knows what available treatments there are? Try to find out from the manufacture if it is a norm for that bike, try asking the present owner, try scraping it with a wooden skewer to see if any thing gets loose. Who knows it may be OK.
    If it aint broke don't fix.

yea thats what i thought too. you should see metal in a metal tank. but this blue color mixed in with metal looks suspicious, seems like oxidized rust to me. and it wouldnt come off scrapping it. so hopefully its no big deal.

could it be a bit of harmless overspray?

i just got someone to show me their tank it seems like thats how the tank look like from the inside. thanks for all your help.