Trailering to Florida in March .... need advice

Thread: Trailering to Florida in March .... need advice

Trailering to Florida in March .... need advice

We are trailering our bikes south in March, with a must stop in Savannah GA., maybe a quick stop at bike week in Daytona and on down to Key West. We could use some advice on a couple of things.

1..Does anyone know of a secure place to leave the truck and trailer for the week, far enough South that we are reasonably guaranteed good riding weather?

2..I know Key West can be expensive so does anyone know of a biker friendly motel that won't bust our piggybank?

3..Any must see/stay/eat/drink places along the way?

Thanks in advance

Re: Trailering to Florida in March .... need advice

Not sure where it is posted, however I remember reading just recently about a guys ride blog that went down through Florida and into the keys then back up, across florida and up the gulf coast then returning to his original spot around daytona. Try the search button and it will probably come up. I believe he did the ride last year towing his single cruiser down there and then left his car in Daytona. Sorry not much help to answer your questions but you might find some helpful info in the other thread.

I did that ride 2 years ago, there was a small storage place we used in the back of a guys house. Very secure and fenced in. Will see if I can find it when I get home.
    Key west is just expensive no matter where you stay, but great party town . Stay away from the west side of the island lol.
    Something like this
    http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=13...,4,6,9&t=m&z=7
    In Perry we dropped off truck and trailer at Mini Storage lock and Key.
    Followed coast down and stayed in Naples (take the detor and check out the wildlife researve in Hammosa).
    Then took the lower back road thru the Everglades (90/41) LOTS OF ALLIGATORS. If its cold out they will be tanning on the roads so be carefull, But road conditions are great and lots of straight long roads if you want to strech her out .
    Then down to the Keys. Be sure to stop in at Ismoralda Key and feed the Tarpine lol You wont regret it. Also stop at Big Pine Key and check out the Key deer (the size of an average dog and only place in the world they live).
    Then we stayed in Key West a few days and partied it up (major Party town) Dont forget to Visit Mile 1 and Farthest Southern Point in North America Beacon.
    Oh and try for Lemon Key Pie with Ice cream mmmmmm
    Then up to West Palm Beach, great city but $$$$.
    Then stop in at Daytona for a night, also great place to let loose.
    Then Back to Perry.
    AVOID JACKSONVILLE!!!!!!!!!!!
    Also at the bottom of the everglades there is a small town called Flamingo i belive, I hear they have the best shrimp restaraunt in Florida but we were unable to go there because they had been hit hard by Hurricane Katrina and roads were still unpassable. (this cuts thru the heart of the everglades with no gas stations between so fuel up before you head in).
    Last edited by boooya; 01-31-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

call terry berger at a motorhome park in ft lauderdale. his sister runs the place but they salt of the earth people. i used to park my truck and trailer there
    call 559 229 6080

We've trailered a few times, get a day or two out and bike the rest of the way. Most hotels will let you keep your truck & trailer at the back of the lot for free for the week. Haven't had a problem yet. Of course there's always a first, but we've been taking good equipement with the trailer locked to the truck.

As an aside, i'm doing the same thing. Presently running solo but meeting friends & family en-route. Like you, Savannah is a must. Depending on distance accomplished in one day and predicted whether, i may just stay in Virginia and bike from there. Post your plans and i may try to coordinate my plans with you. Travelling in numbers has it's advantages should problems on the road take place.
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

Very good trip guide, thank you very mach. Previous season I used #1a instead of #1, highly recommend.

I will be in this area end of March, couple questions is scratching my head:

...Stay away from the west side of the island lol.... Why ?

...AVOID JACKSONVILLE!!!!!!!!!!!... Why ?