Anyone here do this?

I'm considering a longish solo ride this summer and I'm thinking I will camp where I stop two or three nights and motel/hotel the next, then repeat... The idea is to both reduce cost and add some adventure and challenge. I'm not new to camping, I think the first time I was on a camping trip I was 5 months old and I've been doing it ever since!!! I've camped on Crown Land in Ontario but never in the US. The gear I have now isn't suitable for the motorcycle so I'll be picking up a small tent and a sleeping bag that will compress much more than my current one as well as a couple dry bags.. MEC will probably be my source for new gear. Everything else I need I pretty much already own. I won't be cooking where I sleep, other than some espresso in the morning and evening!!

I've never done this before but I have been reading a lot on a few different forums (it seems to be big with the bicycle crowd) and talking to some who have (but seem to prefer not to) so I think I have the ground rules under control as well as some strategies, my big question is how people find and select the places they setup for the night. My trip will be in the US possibly as far south as Northern Florida/Louisiana but no further east than The Mississippi River. I've heard that stealth camping is much easier on the west coast, but for those who have experience, is finding a suitable (aka legal) spot really that difficult on the east side?

Sorry for the vagueness of the destination but I'm trying to keep everything as loosely planned as I can!

I'm not looking for lectures on if this is a good idea or bad idea, nor do I want to be told of all the children I will harm... I understand the risks associated from being attacked or robbed to wildlife. I just want some tips on site selection from those who have some experience with this!