Stealth Camping

Thread: Stealth Camping

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Stealth Camping

One thing that has worked from me (I read it over at ADV rider) is to ask a local "do you know somewhere that I can setup my tent for the night?" DON'T say "Camp" as that has all kinds of negative connotations.

I did that a couple of times when I headed to Grand Canyon last Spetember and was told it was okay to setup my tent behind a gas station and another time on the edge of a farmer's field.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
    One thing that has worked from me (I read it over at ADV rider) is to ask a local "do you know somewhere that I can setup my tent for the night?" DON'T say "Camp" as that has all kinds of negative connotations.

..Tom
    I think this will be a common practice for me... I've read to ask local police as well, seems like a smarter plan than asking the creepy looking fellow at the gas station!

Worst case I guess for me if I don't find a suitable spot to sleep I can write the night off and grab a room.

For the price to camp a night in the states why not pay it
    Two reasons... A) It looses the feel of "adventure" I'm seeking. I know I know, it sounds really silly and corny but what can I say??? And B) prices aren't that friendly for the 8hour use of a patch of grass... for example I just tried a reservation at a KOA for the fun of it and motorcycle/tent/no hookup was $29.00!! I would be ok paying up to $10 for a campsite but it seems to be that 2x to 3x what I'm comfortable paying is the norm... just too much for 80sq.ft of grass for the night!!!
    -1979 Honda CB650 (SOLD)
    -2006 Suzuki GS500F (SOLD)
    -2007 25th Anniversary Honda VFR800 (+50k km)

My experience is that KOA is some of the most expensive camping in the states... there are much better and cheaper alternatives in the smaller campground outfits... I regularly camped for 10-15$ in the states with many parks having free camping altogether...

There are entire websites devoted to free camping in the states...
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Don't forget the option for couch surfing, http://www.couchsurfing.org/. A friend of mine took advantage of this when he crossed Canada and the US by motorcycle a few years ago. At worst he had to set up a tent in someones backyard and was able to use their bathroom, at best he got a full meal and a couch.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta