Nuvi or Zumo

Thread: Nuvi or Zumo

Nuvi or Zumo

I need a gps to replace my 2720 Streetpilot.Any comments on the Nuvi 550 vs the Zumo 220?
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Re: Nuvi or Zumo

Have the 550 now for 3 years and still going strong, no complaints whatsoever.
    Also use it on my sled over the winter.
    Ive even powerwashed the thing lol, definatly recommend the 550. Hands down the best waterproof GPS for the $$.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Have the nuvi550 based on Boooya's recommendation and quite happy with it. For the price it's very durable with just enough features. I've dropped it many times, taken it on some very bumpy dirt roads at speed, rode in heavy rains with it and no issues. Battery holds a good charge and the screen is quite readable in sunlight.

A few things I wish it had... bluetooth, mp3 player and fm transmitter. Otherwise an excellent unit considering how durable and waterproof the unit is.

GPSCity is selling it for $209 which is a great price. http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-nuvi-550.html
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Hmm I didn't know Nuvi's could hold up like that -- I have a 350 (for the car), and given all the holes in the thing, I doubt it could stand more than a light rain before taking some sort of damage.

I'd go with the Zumo possibly if you can stomach the price (the 220 is the oldest unit I think, so least features when comparing to a similar priced Nuvi). I know if you plan on putting bluetooth in your helmet, then a Zumo would be the way to go (the Nuvi bluetooth only works for cellphones I think).
    Last edited by conundrum; 01-29-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    I am the Stig's father's brother's cousin's nephew's former roommate.

Bike: 2011 Honda CBR250R ABS - T-Rex Frame Sliders, Sato Spools, Tankslapper Film, TechSpec SS Tankpads, Fastpack Tail Bag
    Cage: 2006 Honda Accord V6 6spd Coupe - AEM V2, HFP Suspension, TL-S Sway, CT Shortshift, Partial Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by conundrum View Post
    Hmm I didn't know Nuvi's could hold up like that -- I have a 350 (for the car), and given all the holes in the thing, I doubt it could stand more than a light rain before taking some sort of damage.

I'd go with the Zumo possibly if you can stomach the price (the 220 is the oldest unit I think, so least features when comparing to a similar priced Nuvi). I know if you plan on putting bluetooth in your helmet, then a Zumo would be the way to go (the Nuvi bluetooth only works for cellphones I think).
    The nuvi 500&550 are water proof and rugged. They are the only 2 nuvi models that are designed for marine and geocatching use. So they have to be 100% waterproof for marine use and very rugged for geocatching.
    Mine has been submerged, power washed, in -33 temps and coated in mud on the atv. And after 3 years still going.
    Only real complaint is its starting to run out I memory from all the routes I have in it.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

They are both similar devices, some of the differences from what I got from garmins website:
    Nuvi on the left, Zumo 220 in the right.

Routes: 10 10 (additional storage on microSD™ card)
    Lane assist (guides to proper lane for navigation): no yes

Bluetooth® wireless technology: no yes (helmet or headset use only)
    nüMaps Guarantee: yes no

The main difference is the bluetooth and extra mounts that come with the Zumo, plus a significant price increase.

Garmin just released their 2012 lineup, and they are a lot smaller than the existing Zumo220/Nuvi500 form factor while still maintaining the same screen size. They haven't announced a replacement for the Zumo yet, but something waterproof in the smaller form factor would be a lot more convenient. Plus, that would probably make the existing Zumo/Nuvi cheaper if you don't care about the size and can wait a bit on the purchase. I'm holding onto my old Quest for a while to see if they come out with something new this year.
    WeeStrom!

I vote another 2720. Bought a Zumo 660 when my 2720 died on a trip. Nothing wrong with the new stuff but there's far from enough of an improvement to justify the mega cost. Sold the 660 and bought a 2820. When the 2820 died, I bought another 2720 as I never used the Bluetooth. At $50 a pop off ebay, I should start stockpiling them
    2006 Yamaha FZ6 - 80k km and counting