Looking for advice on going to INDIANAPOLIS GP Sunday, August 19, 2012

Thread: Looking for advice on going to INDIANAPOLIS GP Sunday, August 19, 2012

Looking for advice on going to INDIANAPOLIS GP Sunday, August 19, 2012

I'm thinking of going to the race this year and I was looking for some advise from others that have done it before.

What is a good seating choice?
    Where is a good place to stay?

Plus any other "must do" suggestions for such a trip.

Thanks

Re: Looking for advice on going to INDIANAPOLIS GP Sunday, August 19, 2012

There are too many good seating choices to name however you might want to get one which affords you some shade. Turn One Penthouse is about the best place, IMHO. I've had a suite on Pit Row but my feeling is that its really not a great palce to watch the race. Keep in mind that you can go pretty much anywhre you want on Friday and Saturday.

On where to stay: There are hundreds of places to stay in Indy. They are all about 20 minutes from the track. What's your budget?

Thanks I had not thought about shade but that makes sense. As far as budget goes I'd pay $130 plus parking for the race and I'd prefer a typical hotel in Indy if there is nothing obvious. I'd like to go to the track both Saturday and Sunday and spend a day on each end traveling from TO. Budget would be $1000-$1500 I suppose.

I went last year. Drove down in the car.

I sat @ turn 4 (S Vista)(could see turns 1, 2 ,3 4, 5), no shade but I wore a hat. Great seats. I also considered NW Vista, J or H. Gen admin for 6, 7, 8, 9 were fun to be at too.

I had the 3 day pass so seeing all the practice & qualifying from different areas was fun, I went up in the stands of section E and @ the start finish as well. Lots of room , stands were far from packed. I paid for my specific seats, but I swear I saw gen admin ticket holders near buy. Security got lazy I guess but they checked my tickets every time.

Parking for bikes is free @ the track, but lineups looked long to get in. We just taxied from our hotel (3miles away) each day ($40day return). While my hotel (Clarion Suites) was OK it was far from a nice place I would stay somewhere else.
    The track is in a mediocre part of town, decent hotels are further away or downtown.

Tips.

- You can bring your own booze in (must be cans and fit in a small cooler, can carry some outside the cooler. See the Indy track site for more info). Beer store across the street from South side. If you buy @ track, the large fosters cans were the best buy.
    - You cannot buy beer in Indiana on a Sunday (you can at the track).
    - Small backpack or camelback would be good.
    - Free WiFi @ the track, though it is slow slow slow and dropped connection alot.
    - Wear comfortable shoes, hat, sunscreen.
    - If using a DSLR a zoom lens is a must.
    - Grab a schedule of events @ the track so you don;t miss what you want to.

Have fun.
    Last edited by tat2; 01-28-2012 at 09:41 AM.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

There are tons of hotels around. Just search within your budget. MotoGP doesn't have anywhere close to the amount of spectators as the indy 500 so don't worry about not finding a place to stay. As others have mentioned bring sunscreen or a hat, I haven't sat above the pits so not sure how that is but the front straight has shade and not at either end (where you can see the most turns).

Buy the weekend tickets which will allow you to go anywhere on fri,sat or sun and check out all the practice and qualifying sessions.

Here's a good hotel to stay at http://www.cambriasuites.com/hotel-n...-indiana-IN278 it's around 30Km away from the track. Close to Noblesville right by the Interstate. The area is very safe all new stores and restaurants within walking distance of the Hotel. When parking at the track park at the South End. Parking is in the South east corner of Polco Street and W 16th Street. Head south on Polco st. to the highway. This route will save you alot of time. because after the race W 16th st is turned into a 1 way street with no exits for a few Km's

We stayed at the Wyngate by Windham. It was fairly close, but no walk that's for sure. About 6-7 minute drive.

G Penthouse is the best for Saturday, as you can sit in a metal chair, not on a bench. It's covered, it's up high, it's at Turn 1, and there is a can and a place to get beer/food right there. Sunday we drove home right afterwards.

We had seats on Sunday in Row 1 of the SW Vista Deck last year, and will be going back. We sat near the end of the track on Saturday afternoon. The sun comes off of the bleachers like you would not believe.

To clarify, Tickets for Friday & Saturday are like $35 total I think but check the site.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Thanks for all the great advice. I appreciate the info.