Purchased my first bike!

Thread: Purchased my first bike!

Purchased my first bike!

I picked up a 2002 Suzuki Katana 600 from Kahuna Powersports on Monday. I was satisfied with the deal I got on it. I've been riding it around the underground parking and I actually took to the street yesterday when the road was still dry (before the snow started coming down).

I have read all the posts on buying a 250 as my first bike, but I decided I wanted to start with a 500. After looking around at GS500s I saw that I could get this Katana for almost the same insurance rate.

I am a little intimidated by the power of the machine, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. The rear brake seems more powerful than I would've expected (I've already locked it up when coming to a stop).

Can't wait till the weather warms! Also looking forward to the ride down to Dover in April. I went last year on a friends 87 Ninja 600r and I loved it. What a huge gathering!

I hope to cross paths with as many of you as I can on various rides/meets this year!

GTAM rules!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VP2365058_2_large.jpg  

Re: Purchased my first bike!

Congrats on the new ride. I had 2 kats myself so I can tell you first hand that you really don't need to worry that much about the power compared to smaller bikes. Like everything else, you need to respect the throttle. The power band doesn't really kick in until 7k rpm anyway.

Just a suggestion. If the bike still has the original Michelin Macadam's you might want to get rid of them. Many Katana owners really dislike them opting for a sport touring tire like the Michelin Pilot Road. Personally, I found the Macadams made the bike handle like the pig it is often described as by the Katana haters. The simple tire change improved handling immensely and made the bike way more enjoyable to ride.

A great resource and fantastic community for Katana owners. You will find everything you need to know there. I may still have a copy of the service manual and I can send you it. PM me if you want it.

Again, congrats and enjoy your new ride.

Welcome!!

Congrats on your new bike purchase. I can't wait for Spring and I don't have a new bike waiting to ride.
    Central America, South America & Africa on DR650's - BLOG
    2005 CBR 600RR - sold
    2007 F650GS - sold
    2008 DR650

congrats!! and welcome!
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

Sick bike! Welcome to the forum!
    Aleks Hara - Registered Insurance Broker
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

AHARA@CSIB.ORG
    T:416-798-8001 ext 311
    T:1-888-768-8001 ext 311
    F:905-264-5178

"Cornerstone - Your broker of choice - We make it simple!"

Welcome.
    Tearin it up at the gym -ENDORPHINES KICKIN..
    Cruzin on the GsxR - ADRENALINE PUMPIN......
    Stayin positive - THE ONLY WAY TO BE...
    Everything else is your destiny - ACCEPT IT ....

It's not how we write our stories - IT'S HOW OUR STORIES END....
    <Square One Central Rider>

Congrats on your new bike and welcome to the forum! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JZ67 View Post
    Congrats on the new ride. I had 2 kats myself so I can tell you first hand that you really don't need to worry that much about the power compared to smaller bikes. Like everything else, you need to respect the throttle. The power band doesn't really kick in until 7k rpm anyway.

Just a suggestion. If the bike still has the original Michelin Macadam's you might want to get rid of them. Many Katana owners really dislike them opting for a sport touring tire like the Michelin Pilot Road. Personally, I found the Macadams made the bike handle like the pig it is often described as by the Katana haters. The simple tire change improved handling immensely and made the bike way more enjoyable to ride.

A great resource and fantastic community for Katana owners. You will find everything you need to know there. I may still have a copy of the service manual and I can send you it. PM me if you want it.

Again, congrats and enjoy your new ride.
    Thanks for the advice! I've already found the service manual through that website actually. It's very helpful.

wicked! welcome to the forum! congratulations on the new purchase!