Mesh oil filters vs paper

Thread: Mesh oil filters vs paper

Mesh oil filters vs paper

Has anyone used those aftemarket kinda mesh looking oil filters instead of the paper ones? Any feedback?

Re: Mesh oil filters vs paper

I think there was a discussion on this already.

They're the Stainless steel reusable oil filter, I suppose.
    Not worth it. The money money to spend on that could buy u 10-15 regular oil filters
    Resident Loudmouth

Mesh filters are great for flow - not so good for filtering.

Go out to your kitchen. Find a sieve. Pour a bunch of marbles into it. 100% filtration efficiency. Now pour some sugar into it. 0% filtration efficiency.

Those mesh filters work like a sieve. The problem is that the particle size below which it has 0% filtration efficiency is comparable to typical oil clearances inside the engine.

You will hear testimonials "I've used these for XXX,000 km and never had an issue" - You can run an engine without an oil filter for a long time, and as long as it isn't producing wear particles, it will keep running, but that doesn't mean it is the optimum wear situation. If you are going to have an oil filter then you might as well use the best oil filter you can get, and those are depth-type filters (the conventional type). The best known oil filter for most bike engines with spin-on filters is the Purolator PureOne PL14610.

Okay then i better change back yo paper. I had just installed mesh filter when i winterized it