Finger lakes. Waterloo New York.

Thread: Finger lakes. Waterloo New York.

Finger lakes. Waterloo New York.

Heading down to the finger lakes in NY and thinking of staying at the Holiday Inn in Waterloo NY. Any one ever been down here? Heading down with a few friends for a few days. Will be taking the 20 from Buffalo. This will be my first weekend trip. Any suggestions on sites to see, places to eat in or around the area.

Thanks everyone.

Re: Finger lakes. Waterloo New York.

Pass through letchworth state park either on your way down or on the way back.

Glen Curtis museum is good, Hammondsport?

Watkins Glen State Park

If you shopping for clothing try to get the local info. Some counties don't have tax on clothes under $100.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bluerider View Post
    Heading down to the finger lakes in NY and thinking of staying at the Holiday Inn in Waterloo NY. Any one ever been down here? Heading down with a few friends for a few days. Will be taking the 20 from Buffalo. This will be my first weekend trip. Any suggestions on sites to see, places to eat in or around the area.

Thanks everyone.
    Skip 20 and find your way down a few miles south to 20A for a much more scenic road. Take 20A through East Aurora and Warsaw until you hit 36, and then head south on 36 for a few minutes. The entrance to Letchworth will be on your right just past the motel and just before you enter Mt Morris.

At the bottom end of Letchworth you can take 436 from Portageville to Dansville, where you hook up 63 to Wayland, and then take 21 to just past Naples, and then catch 245 through Rushville and Stanley to hook up with 20 in Geneva, and then on to Waterloo. The roads are all fairly good pavement, plenty of bends and scenery to enjoy.

Alternately, for a shorter route that still takes you through Letchworth, take 20A from East Aurora only as far as Warsaw, then head south from the center of town on 19 until you hit 19A, and folloow 19A down to the bottom end of Letchworth State Park. Take the park roads back up northeast until you reach 63 just north of Mt Morris, head north on 63 to Leicester and follow 20A east from there until you connect with 20 just outside Canandaigua. From there you're just 30 minutes from Waterloo.
    Last edited by turbodish; 01-26-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Good route, did it last summer.

Turbo is right, take the 20A to for a nice piece of road.

Letchworth State park is definetly worth checking out. I would also stop in at Watkins Glen racetrack. Very nice trip on a bike... A friend and I have done it in one day, and I have done it with my father in law over 4 days twice.
    I wish my lawn was Emo- so it would cut itself!

Thanks guys.

The group I'm going with will be leaving on a Friday morning and coming back Sunday afternoon. That's the plan anyways. Get there Friday sometime. Saturday tour around the lakes, then leave Sunday and take our time coming home.

With the different route suggested we just take a little longer getting there and have a bit more fun while we are at it too.