I know I'm not the only one here whose toured parts of the southwest. Last June I went out via I-80 and hit Denver about noon on day 3, then from Golden I ran the Peak-to-Peak Highway up to Estes Park, day 4 - from Estes Park I rode Trail Ridge Road, down to Granby, back up to Steamboat Springs, over to Dinosaur, then down to Grand Junction. Day 5 - Grand Junction to Utah, ran Scenic Route 128 to Arches, toured Arches then stayed in Ridgefield, Day 5 - to Bryce Canyon then down 89 to Flagstaff - then stayed put for 4 days in Arizona touring the region. Home through New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, then boring states I can't remember the order of - crossing back into Canada via Sarnia

With a little finagling I've managed to score 12 consecutive vacation days, working around a long weekend and tagging 2 extra days. I wanted to see the parts I missed out on round 1 - but damn, there's just too much and again I'm going to have to make some tough choices.

Originally my plan was simple and non-stressfull - San Juan Skyway in Co was my biggest regret in not seeing, so it was tops on my list to visit, spend a couple of days there - hit the "4 corners" - then into New Mexico and explore there for several days - then home.

But now I'm thinking I don't want to do the same route out there and back and have been seduced by the Black Hills and Badlands of South Dakota - and have taken a fancy to climbing Pikes Peak in Colorado. So if I add in Pikes Peak before San Juan Skyway - then run up through Utah to Wyoming and back through South Dakota - I just can't see anyway of adding in New Mexico.

I want my second trip to be to the Cabot Trail, so going back out is not really an option
All I saw of New Mexico coming back was the view from the Interstate - but it was beautiful - on the other hand running back through SD I could catch either the beginning or end of Sturgis bike week - which could be interesting?

So - either New Mexico or South Dakota are going to have to be eliminated - I can do a few 1,000 k days but I can't do 12 of them in a row. Anyone been to either or both?