SouthWest Part II - where to go?

Thread: SouthWest Part II - where to go?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: SouthWest Part II - where to go?

Actually April is NOT the time to travel in the U.S., it is tornado season. Better to wait until May if you can - less storms.

As for your trip. Personally I would go to South Dakota and area. I have been through there, as well as Colorado, New Mexico etc. and the SD is vastly underrated. Montana is also stunning. Why not a trip to the pacific north west - hit Oregon, Washington State and maybe come back through the Canadian Rockies?

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    Actually April is NOT the time to travel in the U.S., it is tornado season. Better to wait until May if you can - less storms.
    Apparently its already tornado season in the U.S., or at least in Alabama. Not a good portent - hopefully they won't get slammed like last April

Anyway, its not my plan to head out in the spring. I don't mind riding in the heat, I just keep hydrated. I don't even take the liners out of leathers until about 25 centigrade because I get chilled faster than I get overheated.

But yeah - I'm thinking SD over New Mexico - with limited time available I may just go to Sturgis and then see where (if anywhere) the spirit takes me. If I bump the trip a few weeks into September - maybe I will do a Yellowstone run. With the shorter distances, 12 hours of daylight will work and I'm an expert at pitching my tent in the dark.

I agree with the above posts about April not being a good time to travel through US as I've learned.

There was a snowstorm I had to go through Mid May in Colorado/Wyoming as well as Tornadoes in Nebraska.
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Bad idea to go to Wyoming (Yellowstone), South Dakota (Custer National PK, Sturgis) in April it is COLD!!! Elevation is high and you can run into sleet/snow storms. I know I have been there in early June.
    Would keep nice and toasty in Southern Colorado (4 Corners, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde) A lot of the great rides like the Million Dollar Highway (AZ 191) are again at a high elevation and will be cold (was last September when I was there). The older section of Santa Fe is my favourite U.S. City. Texas is worth a shot with the ride through Big Bend National Park. Most of the State Tourist Agencies will send you free of charge their tour guide and that can be valuable. Another warmer suggestion would be Shenandoah Parkway, Blue Ridge Parkway, Deals Gap area (Tail of the Dragon), Natchez/Trace Parkway, Smoky Mtns, Mississippi, Louisiana.

So many places to go so little time!

Ummm do keep up with the thread

BG wrote
    I'm planning on leaving on Friday, July 27th and home for Tuesday, August 7th - back to work on the 8th.
    The suggestion was for the South Western US in April/May just before the May long weekend- not many tornadoes in New Mexico
    and cooler than later in year when the OP is actually riding.

BG I think your South Dakota et al makes more sense both for the time you have and that time of year.

Then go where the wind blows you.....boogie it home with the westerlies behind you on the slab once you run out of time. Sounds like fun.

Nice getting another riding season here in Australia - putting on 150-300 km a day and lots of interesting roads. KLR is hard on the butt tho.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 01-31-2012 at 03:21 AM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    Ummm do keep up with the thread

Nice getting another riding season here in Australia - putting on 150-300 km a day and lots of interesting roads. KLR is hard on the butt tho.
    Hey MacDoc - my heart bleeds for you

Well my boss is putting the pressure on the executive here to get a fill-in for my vacation times, so I might be able to get a two week jaunt in after all - will have to wait and see. I do get 4 weeks in total - its just the timing of two consecutive weeks without me that's freaking them out.
    Last edited by BeastieGirl; 01-31-2012 at 08:24 AM.

What the hell good is single week vacations.....
    You really need 3 straight to get some decent R&R.

Had fun splashing through some streams on the KLR today - hit one a little fast and got drenched - felt good in +30 weather.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here