What is the smallest displacement you can ride on the highway? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the smallest displacement you can ride on the highway?

Re: What is the smallest displacement you can ride on the highway?

hmmm i have learned something new... I still wouldn't find myself on a scooter like I saw on the highway, reminds me of a little jazz or vino. Like some have said high wind, the rain the dude was out in and the sketchy litle tires just wouldn't make me feel too comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    You have to adjust sag to ride on the highway?

Anyways the 50cc minimum mentioned in the article is ridiculous, how is there any relation between displacement and suitabiliy for the highway? What about if a bike has no engine, is that less than 50cc? Friggin bureaucrats.

I've seen signs in the USA with HP minimums. IIRC it's 5 HP minimum on some interstates.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    You have to adjust sag to ride on the highway?

Anyways the 50cc minimum mentioned in the article is ridiculous, how is there any relation between displacement and suitabiliy for the highway? What about if a bike has no engine, is that less than 50cc? Friggin bureaucrats.
    Crap. Stupid link copy is stupid.

http://www.wheels.ca/Auto Know/article/786278
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    I've seen signs in the USA with HP minimums. IIRC it's 5 HP minimum on some interstates.
    That's just as dumb since it's unenforceable and not strictly related to safety.

Now requiring that the bike (or any vehicle for that matter) be able to acheive a minimum speed of 100km/h on level ground would be a good requirement. Especially since law enforcement tend to carry around those radar gun thingies with them all the time for some reason, so they could enforce the restriction.

Last time I spoke with the MTO on the 416 number they said the vehicle has to be able to keep up with the flow of traffic no cc requirments. This was to see if a friend could use my Ruckus 50cc for a full road test. As long as he could merge on the QEW as required it was legal. lucky my Bandit6 was fixed in time for his test. I had the 1985 Elite 150. Very skidish at higher speeds. More so with a passenger or luggage on it. My Elite was rusty and well abused but survived the 2009 MBSR. My kymco Super 9Lc is rock solid with the wider taller tires. Even my Yamaha BW50 with 120/10 130/10 tires is very planted.

I have big bikes but nothing beats screaming around town on a 50cc stink wheel for the fun factor.

Quote Originally Posted by GVH View Post
    Last time I spoke with the MTO on the 416 number they said the vehicle has to be able to keep up with the flow of traffic no cc requirments. This was to see if a friend could use my Ruckus 50cc for a full road test. As long as he could merge on the QEW as required it was legal. lucky my Bandit6 was fixed in time for his test. I had the 1985 Elite 150. Very skidish at higher speeds. More so with a passenger or luggage on it. My Elite was rusty and well abused but survived the 2009 MBSR. My kymco Super 9Lc is rock solid with the wider taller tires. Even my Yamaha BW50 with 120/10 130/10 tires is very planted.

I have big bikes but nothing beats screaming around town on a 50cc stink wheel for the fun factor.

If he had taken the test on a 50cc scooter, then they would have given him a LSM license.

I started out on an Elite 250 and it could do 125 Kmh, but took about 5 Km to get up to that speed.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    If he had taken the test on a 50cc scooter, then they would have given him a LSM license.

I started out on an Elite 250 and it could do 125 Kmh, but took about 5 Km to get up to that speed.
    They said if he specified he wanted the full licence and did the highway merge as required it would be a full licence. The problem is it's up to the tester to decide if the merge meets the requirments. Even on the Bandit 6 they had him merge twice. I'm so glad I got my licence 27 years ago. 365 written on a Monday took the test Friday on my 1977 CJ360T.

They said if he specified he wanted the full licence and did the highway merge as required it would be a full licence. The problem is it's up to the tester to decide if the merge meets the requirments. Even on the Bandit 6 they had him merge twice. I'm so glad I got my licence 27 years ago. 365 written on a Monday took the test Friday on my 1977 CJ360T.
    Based on the regs if you do the test on a LSM, then you can only get a LSM license. There isn't supposed to be any choice.

Possibly because my ruckus was white plated and not Green LSM plated it was different.

Possibly because my ruckus was white plated and not Green LSM plated it was different.
    They screw that up all the time. My first two stroke 50cc was green plated. Second one was exact same make and model and was white plated.