possible new bike

Thread: possible new bike

possible new bike

ok, let's try this again...

almost bought a 2007 ninja 250 with 8000 km in london for $1500 but it didn't turn out to be the bike the seller said it was

now looking at an '06 with 14000 km...apparently the bike has a new chain...this is bringing up red flags for me, thinking why would it need a new chain so early...am i right in thinking this?

kelly blue book says a retail of $2125...i'm assuming that's US funds and for a clean bike...which, based on the mileage and year for this bike, i'm assuming would be considered clean...

any thoughts as to why the chain needed replacing or am i worried for nothing? (i haven't gone to look at the bike yet, but i'm thinking of going this week)...

also, i read something about stickers not matching the original on another post, so i checked online and all seems to be good there...

Re: possible new bike

If it was a cosmetic situation, I would get more suspicious for accidents/drops etc., but for a chain replacement, I would consider that as an upgrade, since most of the after-market chains (lifetime warranty) are better quality than the stock chain (20,000km warranty) of the Ninja 250.

If the bike has been ridden in the rain, and not had the stock chain lubricated frequent enough and taken care of, then obviously the owner could go for the new chain and a new set of sprockets.

Keep in mind, this is the opinion of the noob tho

Re: possible new bike

14000 kms is a little early to be replacing a chain if it was taken care of, however its not a deal breaker by any means. You should check the sprockets for wear as they can be a good indicator of use. Of course they may have been changed as well but you should still take a look. I have about 27k kms on my bike and can just barely see some wear on my sprockets. So if the teeth are cupped/hooked in appearance it could have been caused by too much tension or other abuse.
    Ignorance is heading off without knowing the dangers involved.
    Stupidity is trying something without knowing what the chance of death is.
    Bravery is going into something knowing if you die its your own fault.
    Adventure is a self determined mix of all three of the above.