Mid winter start up.

Thread: Mid winter start up.

Mid winter start up.

Hey everyone how's it going?

I'm a little new to the fuel injected bike scene, I used to have a carb'd bike. So my question is, is it alright to start up my bike at this time of the year?

When I originally stored the bike at the end of November, I added Sta-bil, I've had my battery on a tender since the first day of storage, and she's sitting under a Bike cover in my garage. My garage doesn't get too cold, but its definately not spring like or fall like temps in there during the winter.

Since today and tomorrow will be quite mild, should I be starting up my bike to get oil flowing again and run some more fuel through the bike, etc.?
    Keeping in mine I won't be riding, I'll just let it run for about 5-10 mins. Then shut her off. Or should I just wait until we get spring like temps on a daily basis, then start it and ride it then?

Whatever info anyone has would be greatly appreciated !

Drew

Re: Mid winter start up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rkt14 View Post
    Hey everyone how's it going?

I'm a little new to the fuel injected bike scene, I used to have a carb'd bike. So my question is, is it alright to start up my bike at this time of the year?

When I originally stored the bike at the end of November, I added Sta-bil, I've had my battery on a tender since the first day of storage, and she's sitting under a Bike cover in my garage. My garage doesn't get too cold, but its definately not spring like or fall like temps in there during the winter.

Since today and tomorrow will be quite mild, should I be starting up my bike to get oil flowing again and run some more fuel through the bike, etc.?
    Keeping in mine I won't be riding, I'll just let it run for about 5-10 mins. Then shut her off. Or should I just wait until we get spring like temps on a daily basis, then start it and ride it then?

Whatever info anyone has would be greatly appreciated !

Drew
    If your not riding, i'd leave the bike as is.

Wait for spring all you are doing is damaging you bike by starting it. Start it when you are ready to ride it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said....

THere's no benefit from starting your bike if you're not going to ride it
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

^^^^^^^^
    Agreed , it would be boring to see it running and not riding it haha.

But hey thanks for the opinions! I'll just leave it be and wait until the spring time.

the condensation build up in the mufflers and the engine won't burn off within 1/2 hour of running the engine in this tempature, dont waste your time or gas. next thing you'll be riding it down the salty roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    the condensation build up in the mufflers and the engine won't burn off within 1/2 hour of running the engine in this tempature, dont waste your time or gas. next thing you'll be riding it down the salty roads.
    thanks

Yeah i wouldn't want to ride my bike down salty roads, for safety and i dont want to ruin the bike.