2012 Pro 6 Dunlop Challenge now on NTEC Slicks! - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Pro 6 Dunlop Challenge now on NTEC Slicks!

Re: 2012 Pro 6 Dunlop Challenge now on NTEC Slicks!

Quote Originally Posted by Snipes20 View Post
    What about weather issues??? Is there a rule that allows the use of rain tires or do you make us ride slicks in the wet??
    Dunlop KR390/389(r) KR222(f) rains with date codes 2007 and newer are eligible for the Challenge.
    DUNLOP GP-A Trackday Special !! 219.99$ a set!

[QUOTE=Snipes20;1723140]Another thing...Does it have to be this years new ntec's or can we use takeoff from other years??[/QUOTE

The UK made Ntec's are not eligible for the challenge. When KR449/448 take-offs become available, they are eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Motoshire747 View Post
    I can't believe more people don't take advantage of this class, the old Ntecs slicks were beyond amazing. Looking forward to trying the new ones at this price. Contingency starting at $700-760! Can we get that in the Vintage Class?
    +100

3000$ bucks worth up for grabs at every round! the new retail pricing was a surprize to us too. All reports to date indicate that these tires are on par with UK version for 120-150$ less per set!

Are there going to be choices of compounds to choose from? What about the rear sizes? Or is there just a standard tire that is awarded?
    The Thistle #391

Since I can't ride Rookie anymore, I need a 3rd class to run.
    Lost Era junk qualifies...however, Lost Era lightweight junk will be underdogging it by 30hp to new bikes...But that's the same defecit I was used to in Rookie anyways.

Lost Era sounds like it will have larger grids this yr....are you considering paying an cont. $ in Lost Era like bridgestone was last couple yrs? (if 8 bikes minimum grid up)
    Hmm...is it time to put different tire stickers on my junk!
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Since I can't ride Rookie anymore, I need a 3rd class to run.
    Lost Era junk qualifies...however, Lost Era lightweight junk will be underdogging it by 30hp to new bikes...But that's the same defecit I was used to in Rookie anyways.

Lost Era sounds like it will have larger grids this yr....are you considering paying an cont. $ in Lost Era like bridgestone was last couple yrs? (if 8 bikes minimum grid up)
    Hmm...is it time to put different tire stickers on my junk!
    Nothing is confirmed yet, but the proposed contingency includes Lost Era. Both light and heavy will have a seperate contingency. Same goes for BOTT-there will be seperate contingencies for Light and Heavy. Again this has not been confirmed yet.
    Contingency will released very soon, and will be posted on this board.
    Dave
    Last edited by Recidivist; 02-29-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bent391 View Post
    Are there going to be choices of compounds to choose from? What about the rear sizes? Or is there just a standard tire that is awarded?
    Prize tires will be whatever Dunlop tells us. Prizes will likely be Softs, but they are slicks...., which are much more durable than DOT's.

I have to agree with the rest regarding 1000s, this challenge should be open to those riding 1000cc bikes for reasons already stated. If I'm on a 1K this year I would also be interested in this challenge so that's 3?

Me too...

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?bfa5da
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

i'm in. How many is that?
    The Thistle #391

Well, 4 of us.

Depends on the numbers I guess. If the class is competitive and has a decent grid with just 600s then there likely isn't much merit in bringing in the big bikes even though the class is using slicks. If the numbers are like last year then I think there really think letting the 1000s run is a good idea.

Most riders are well aware that TMP and most configs at Grand Bend offer no real advantage to the big bikes. The outright TMP lap record is held by a 600cc bike. I'm also pretty sure Novice Open Sprint and Novice Superbike lap records are also held by 600cc bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Well, 4 of us.

Depends on the numbers I guess. If the class is competitive and has a decent grid with just 600s then there likely isn't much merit in bringing in the big bikes even though the class is using slicks. If the numbers are like last year then I think there really think letting the 1000s run is a good idea.

Most riders are well aware that TMP and most configs at Grand Bend offer no real advantage to the big bikes. The outright TMP lap record is held by a 600cc bike. I'm also pretty sure Novice Open Sprint and Novice Superbike lap records are also held by 600cc bikes.
    Agree 100%. Big bikes don't offer advantage at basically all tracks especially at club level. If anything TMP/GBM hinder big bike riders. AM SBK at Mosport (the track most advantageous to litre bikes) pole and 2nd on the grid was held by two 600s last year. I don't buy the whole riders dropping out cause of big bikes...you have to be highly skilled or Pro to make the most of a litre bike on a big track let alone TMP/GBM.

Well, 4 of us.

I disagree...If you take two riders with the same abbilities and one is on a litter bike than the person with more power will have faster times. I also dont think that Aubrey has raced on a 1000 at tmp

I disagree...If you take two riders with the same abbilities and one is on a litter bike than the person with more power will have faster times. I also dont think that Aubrey has raced on a 1000 at tmp
    You are entitled to your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jia View Post
    Agree 100%. Big bikes don't offer advantage at basically all tracks especially at club level. If anything TMP/GBM hinder big bike riders. AM SBK at Mosport (the track most advantageous to litre bikes) pole and 2nd on the grid was held by two 600s last year. I don't buy the whole riders dropping out cause of big bikes...you have to be highly skilled or Pro to make the most of a litre bike on a big track let alone TMP/GBM.
    It's true............................................ but they ARE fun.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

You are entitled to your opinion.
    Does that mean Aubrey has raced a 1000??? I thought I should speak up because guys on litter bikes keep say 600 rider should be just as fast. if there is no advantage in having a 1000 than why would people have them??? 600s are cheaper to buy and are easier on tires. if both go the same speed why spend the extra money?

Does that mean Aubrey has raced a 1000??? I thought I should speak up because guys on litter bikes keep say 600 rider should be just as fast. if there is no advantage in having a 1000 than why would people have them??? 600s are cheaper to buy and are easier on tires. if both go the same speed why spend the extra money?
    Aubrey has raced a 1000 but I'm not sure if he has at TMP.

The 1000s are fun but harder to ride. In some ways they are more forgiving but in other ways they can me much less forgiving. They are heavier than 600s and the increased angular momentum of a larger displacement motor spinning over makes them harder to turn. In tight technical sections the extra horsepower of the 1000 is less than useless. I don't get to WOT anywhere between turn 2 and turn 12 at TMP so I can't take advantage of the power but I am still handicapped with a bike that is harder to turn.

I was talking to Scott Rupert last year and I mentioned that I felt that riding a 1000cc bike on the Nelson track was like going deer hunting with a rocket propelled grenade. He replied saying that riding a 1000cc bike at TMP is like having a sword fight in a closet.

Why do I ride a 1000? Because they're awesome. I have no better explanation than that.

Aubrey rode his R1 at GBM and did much worse times than his 600.
    People ride 1000s for many reasons, it could have been the bike they bought for the street then converted to track, people want more of a challenge, people just enjoy them more etc. At SOAR they offer basically no advantage. Fact is it's not logical to run them hence the number of riders using them is minuscule. It's not logical to do many things though in this life but that doesn't stop us from doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jia View Post
    Aubrey rode his R1 at GBM and did much worse times than his 600.
    People ride 1000s for many reasons, it could have been the bike they bought for the street then converted to track, people want more of a challenge, people just enjoy them more etc. At SOAR they offer basically no advantage. Fact is it's not logical to run them hence the number of riders using them is minuscule. It's not logical to do many things though in this life but that doesn't stop us from doing it!
    Lots of people can ride a 600 quickly. Lots of riders are in fact faster on a 600 than they are on a 1000. Not many people can ride a 1000 quickly.

That is something I'm proud of.

Lots of people can ride a 600 quickly. Lots of riders are in fact faster on a 600 than they are on a 1000. Not many people can ride a 1000 quickly.

That is something I'm proud of.
    There ya go. I dropped 2 seconds from my fastest 600 time within the first few days I had with my R1 at TMP. I also feel I can handle a 1000 pretty well therefore I'm on one again this year and they are cooler ;P. I hope I can continue improving this year albeit on a different bike
    Last edited by Jia; 03-09-2012 at 12:42 PM.