2012 Pro 6 Dunlop Challenge now on NTEC Slicks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Pro 6 Dunlop Challenge now on NTEC Slicks!

2012 Pro 6 Dunlop Challenge now on NTEC Slicks!

Pro 6 Dunlop Challenge now on NTEC Slicks!

The Pro 6 Dunlop Challenge returns for its third season of competition in the SOAR series with a big change, using the new U.S. made KR 448 and KR 449 dunlop slicks as our spec tire. With an increasing amount of riders riding slicks to take advantage of SOAR's open tire rule, and Dunlop's introduction of the new U.S. made NTEC slicks, this change could not have come at a better time.

These tires have generated a huge amount of buzz in the US:

"Testing of these new slick tires encompassed exhaustive efforts including multiple tests with many riders at AMA test sessions and private tests. Some of the more notable riders included Josh Hayes, Ben Bostrom, Josh Herrin, Roger Hayden, Larry Pegram and Martin Cardenas, and test tracks included Miller Motorsports Park, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Barber Motorsports Park, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Jennings GP, Roebling Road Raceway and Summit Point Raceway." Dunlop USA

" The 2011 WERA National Endurance Series served as a demanding real-world test for the brand-new USA-built Dunlop KR448F and KR449 racing slicks, and the final result was more—much more—than a passing grade. Using these new tires all season long, the BEI Racing Team earned this year’s WERA National Endurance Series championship in spectacular fashion aboard their Suzuki GSX-R1000. Out of seven races that spanned from four to six hours long, BEI Racing Team members Tim Bemisderfer, Billy Etheridge, Mark Junge and Brian Stokes won five races and finished second once, truly dominating results." Dunlop USA

On the side of the border, the new slicks were tested top CSBK pros at Calabogie Motorsports Park. The riders rode 100 laps of Calabogie on a set of the new slicks. The tires produced 65 laps at national race pace or better before falling off only slightly for the remainder of the day. That's over 2 hours at a pro pace, proving the KR449/448's durability grip and speed.

Pro 6 Dunlop Challenge riders will have a choice of running 200/55-17 or a 190/55-17 series KR449 rear tire, with the 125/80-17 KR 448, and the choice of several compounds. Dunlop recommends both the 190 and 200 for 5.5 and 6.00 rim sizes, depending on track and rider preference. The KR 449/448 tires are priced at an unbeleivable $345 per set with the 190/55 rear, and $380 per set with the 200/55!!!

Apart from the new slick tires the dunlop challenge rules remain unchanged. The challenge is a novice class with bikes confirming to novice 600 extreme, lost era heavyweight, or BOTT heavyweight specifications. At each round tire prizes are distributed to the top finishers. 1st place receives 2 sets of KR448/449 slicks, 2nd receives 1 set, 3rd 1 rear, 4th 1 front, 5th will get a 50$ coupon for their next challenge tire purchase . Total tire prize payouts for this class, top $3000 per round, unheard of at the club level.
    For more information about rules, prizes and contingency, please contact me through PM, email tirewhisperer@gmail.com, call me at the shop, Competition Cycle (905)728-1714

DUNLOP GP-A Trackday Special !! 219.99$ a set!

Re: 2012 Pro 6 Dunlop Challenge now on NTEC Slicks!

hey does an open tire rule mean I can use these in any class at SOAR......sorry if it's a obvious ? I will be starting my first season thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Recidivist View Post
    Apart from the new slick tires the dunlop challenge rules remain unchanged. The challenge is a novice class with bikes confirming to novice 600 extreme, lost era heavyweight, or BOTT heavyweight specifications. At each round tire prizes are distributed to the top finishers. 1st place receives 2 sets of KR448/449 slicks, 2nd receives 1 set, 3rd 1 rear, 4th 1 front, 5th will get a 50$ coupon for their next challenge tire purchase . Total tire prize payouts for this class, top $3000 per round, unheard of at the club level.
    Dave!!! You're killing me. They're slicks, make it Open Sprint!

Quote Originally Posted by area51junkie View Post
    hey does an open tire rule mean I can use these in any class at SOAR......sorry if it's a obvious ? I will be starting my first season thanks
    Pretty much yes.

However.. I checked the SOAR website but I don't see the rulebook up there. I know some 600cc classes require a DOT tire but I don't know if that's the case for Novice 600 Extreme.

Rulebook is on the front page of the site. We dont have a DOT rule on any class you can run whatever tire you like. The rulebook will be getting its yearly facelift very shortly but there wont be anything to spooky happening.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Dave!!! You're killing me. They're slicks, make it Open Sprint!
    Sorry Tim, you'll have to buy a 600! did i mention I had one for sale?

Horsepoop!

Come on Dave, I'd love to run in the Challange again....... Like Tim said, they are slicks, you may have an even larger turn out if you allowed Open Sprint bikes! See what you can do.......
    The Thistle #391

is it necessary to have tire warmers for these tires ?...because this sounds sweeeeeet

Quote Originally Posted by bent391 View Post
    Come on Dave, I'd love to run in the Challange again....... Like Tim said, they are slicks, you may have an even larger turn out if you allowed Open Sprint bikes! See what you can do.......
    2 at least.

It seems like somtimes there are too few bikes spread across too many classes. The 600cc kids already have 4 classes they can enter, 5 if they're older kids, 6 if they're older n00b kids, but I only have two!

Come on!
    Last edited by caboose483; 01-26-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by area51junkie View Post
    is it necessary to have tire warmers for these tires ?...because this sounds sweeeeeet
    as with any other race tire, warmers are highly recommended, but not absolutely nessessary. You're right, the Challenge is sweet! Just think, with all the money you're saving on tires, you will be able to get a set Bick's famous hot wraps, maybe two!

P.S. I don't want this thread to turn into a tire warmer debate, if you want to read (or argue...lol) about warmers, go here ---> http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ht=tire+warmer

2 at least.

It seems like somtimes there are too few bikes spread across too many classes. The 600cc kids already have 4 classes they can enter, 5 if they're older kids, 6 if they're older n00b kids, but I only have two!

Come on!
    You're right....about Old Boys. It should be an Open class

Dunlop (Sandy@Pro6) Decides who and what runs in the challenge I couldnt care less. I decide the rest and litre bikes will not be included anytime soon in old boy or rookie. Only reason is there is not enough of them to stand alone and if I was to include them more people would drop out because of it than enter on their litre bikes. Perceived or reality there are many who believe that they cant compete against a litre bike on their 600. Sorry but just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    Dunlop (Sandy@Pro6) Decides who and what runs in the challenge I couldnt care less. I decide the rest and litre bikes will not be included anytime soon in old boy or rookie. Only reason is there is not enough of them to stand alone and if I was to include them more people would drop out because of it than enter on their litre bikes. Perceived or reality there are many who believe that they cant compete against a litre bike on their 600. Sorry but just the way it is.
    You don't care about collecting more entrance fees and filling grids?

The agreement is they sponsor the class and do the payouts. In exchange they decide how they want to promote their product. So on that class no I dont care. What I can tell you that as it stands and if it doesnt change it will end this year. My agreement is three years with this being the third year. Ive had a conversation with Sandy last year about this. As far as I am concerned they are squandering a promotional opportunity, when I say they I am referring to Dunlop we (SOAR) can always run whatever shows with another class if there isnt enough people interested. Soooooooo if you think you have a case to be made to allow litre bikes in you need to convince Dunlop if they say yes then its yes if they say you all have to ride dual sports then its dual sports.
    I have to ask though rather than try to change the world to conform with your choice of ride why not just choose a ride that fits with available classes? We all have to do that. I own a Ducati that was built for a defunct class, we bought it for another now defunct class it can still be used in twins but thats the way the ball bounces. The only way I could see Dunlop allowing litre bikes in would be to create a separate race within a race which they would have to deem worth the added expense (not my call), just like Rookie and Old Boys if the litre bikes enter on even ground more bike will leave the class than will come. There just isnt enough litre bikes to make it worthwhile, thats my opinion as stated above for OBC and Rookie but I dont make that call for Dunlop.

What about weather issues??? Is there a rule that allows the use of rain tires or do you make us ride slicks in the wet??

the Dunlop Challenge does have some alternative tires that are allowed to be used in the rain. Dunlop Rains.... See you guys out there.
    The Thistle #391

Another thing...Does it have to be this years new ntec's or can we use takeoff from other years??

Quote Originally Posted by Snipes20 View Post
    Another thing...Does it have to be this years new ntec's or can we use takeoff from other years??
    The US slick only became available in late 2011.

The US slick only became available in late 2011.

smugonsmugoff
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

I can't believe more people don't take advantage of this class, the old Ntecs slicks were beyond amazing. Looking forward to trying the new ones at this price. Contingency starting at $700-760! Can we get that in the Vintage Class?