Spartan Race - 5k Obstacle Course Race - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spartan Race - 5k Obstacle Course Race

Re: Spartan Race - 5k Obstacle Course Race

Okay, so I signed up for this race, and haven't really done any training yet (aside from my weekly MTB rides, but I wouldn't call that training... more like 'routine').

How suitable is training via mountain biking and road riding for this race? I was planning on doing that more often to build my cardio, and maybe doing p90x or something for strength training - if I start this week, I'll be half way though at race-time, which should be sufficient.

I think I need shoes too; I was planning on wearing just old cross-trainers (which will get heavy once they're soaked through), or perhaps investing in the five-fingers... thoughts?

Background info: I'm only 150lbs, with about 6% body fat... skinny. I'm strong enough to easily throw myself around, but I lack in cardio (only thing that kills me on our weekly MTB rides)

Quote Originally Posted by Kri$han View Post
    Background info: I'm only 150lbs, with about 6% body fat... skinny. I'm strong enough to easily throw myself around, but I lack in cardio (only thing that kills me on our weekly MTB rides)
    I don't believe you. When I'm 6% bf I get people staring at me everywhere I go. I doubt you're 6% bf....
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

I don't believe you. When I'm 6% bf I get people staring at me everywhere I go. I doubt you're 6% bf....
    6%BF maybe, what test result gave you that?

Just saying for body fat, I have never seen flat numbers for BF, it's always 8.6%, 7.4%, 22.8% etc, at least from BodPod testing, which is pretty accurate stuff. Funny thing is, I weighed in now this morning at 150lbs, 180cm, 6.2% body fat, and some other gas exchange/capacity numbers - apparently these numbers are seen in elite athletes relative to my size

I would do this obstacle course but I'm already racing that weekend. SCRC all the way

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Not every can!
    Since it seems like you have prior knowledge of long distance. I am willing to bet you've done a bit of training in the past
    Looks like fun! I've done competitve cross-country running that covers almost 10k through High Park, 3km and 1.5km tracks back oh 15 years ago in High School. I'm now old, never exercised since I graduated 10 years ago, got right knee problems that acts up if I sprint but man I'm seriously considering this. 3 months of training hmmm do I want to put myself through that pain again? yes!

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post

Having said that, I'm 30 lbs overweight and I can do 5k's, so just about anybody can I would say. Have fun!
    I'm 30 lbs overweight too. Back when I was running competitively I weighed 90 lbs now I'm close to 125 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    Okay.. sorry to hear that...?

Quote Originally Posted by S500K View Post
    6%BF maybe, what test result gave you that?
    That electrical test they do for you at some gyms when you sign up for a membership, as part of your "fitness assessment". The actual reading was 6.4%. Next time I'm at a meet, and you happen to see me, you'll understand.

So much for getting any training questions answered...

The actual reading was 6.4%. Next time I'm at a meet, and you happen to see me, you'll understand.
    No, I believe you, you could be in that range.
    *Personally, the bio electrical impedance tests (if its the one where you hold it infront of you with your two hands, that one only takes into account your upper body), the one you stand on is a bit more accurate but still dosent measure everything

-Whats nice about having a BodPod test is that it tells you your % and how many lbs of muscle you have, % fat and how much in lbs and other things...

Obstacle course will probably have things to hope/climb over, duck under, running etc so I'd do some circuit training (your typical stuff, squats, lunges, push-ups etc "P90X will do the trick" start running too. As much of an awesome bike rider you might be, running is totally different) A decent pair of running shoes will be helpful + if you plan on continuing to workout, then you have a nice pair - buy yourself something nice.

Hi
    I will be running a Spartan Race in June, I am in fairly good condition. I'm 6 foot tall, 148lbs On my 20m beep-test I got a 9.5, I can do about 55 consecutive push ups and in 1 min I can do about 50 sit ups (real ones not spasms), I am am a sprinter and can get about 11.5 sec/100m, can anybody give me an idea of what will be on the Spartan Race in terms of obstacles? I am doing the one in Ottawa. I plan on using an old pair of aasics that I have lying around, but for some reason I always get scared when I think of doing any race that involves a lot of people, ( I prefer to be alone when I run, or with my dog). I don't know why. Does anybody have a training plan they would be willing to share? Currently I am doing a 5k every 3 days through a clear cut zone near my house and a 10k on the days in between.
    Any help would be appreciated.

I put hot rocks under my foreskin and run half way round the world before breakfast......pussies.