Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
I ran the Iron Man a year and a half ago, and you better believe I trained pretty hard for it. I was already in decent running shape, as I have always ran cross country and hit the gym since high school. Plantar Fasciatis is a real pain ( no pun intended ), I've never had it, however I did get tendonitis in my achilles tendon from doing too many hill runs, and wearing crap shoes. I really got sold on the barefoot running after reading a lot of stories on it, and how shoes really just baby our feet making them somewhat more prone to injury. Nike then came out with there Nike Free shoe line, which mimics running barefoot, and I swear by the shoes. They have strengthened my achilles, my ankles, and I have never had any injuries since using them.

I ran with a lot of hardcore people during my Iron Man competition, including an SAS operative from England and a Navy Seal. We swapped workout stories and I must say one of the best running regimes has been FARTLEK training. You can read about it, and studies have shown that doing that type of running can be far more beneficial then simple long term endurance running. I had always been an endurance running doing my cross country, however after doing a month of Fartlek training, doing my usual endurance long distance running felt much easier, and more comfortable.
I have the shoe as well. Love it. I have plantar fasciitis and it is terrible. I have been wearing orthotics since I was 13. Hip dysplasia at birth doesn't help but I really enjoy the shoe. I don't wear my footbeds in them and I can't complain.