Need swing arm bushings reamed...../

Thread: Need swing arm bushings reamed...../

Question Need swing arm bushings reamed...../

neither big local shops have an expanding bar long enough. Shaft dia is .874- its an old Triumph.
    thx, Mutt

Re: Need swing arm bushings reamed...../

It shouldn't be that hard to find a 7/8" reamer. It you get stuck I can dig around and see if I can come up with one.
    "If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law." Winston Churchill

the reamer needs to be at least 7 in long, to cut both bush's at the same time, so they are aligned w/ each other. Thats the tricky aspect. If I ream one side, then the other, they may not be aligned, so the shaft will bind.....

google mcmaster-carr, HS steel hand reamer 7/8 is 9" long. You an get a threaded end reamer and tap an extention.

You're trying too hard. Just ream both sides seperately, you'll be fine.
    Did you know that frame was assembled in a wooden jig?
    So was the crankshaft.

No....you can easily get the bushings out of alignment with each other, causing binding that soon translates to sloppy bushings.
    I found a shop thats been around long enough to have reamed a lot of auto kingpins. $20, next day service, dead true, optimal .....
    Berco Machine, 163 Milvan M9L 1Z8

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    You're trying too hard. Just ream both sides seperately, you'll be fine.
    Did you know that frame was assembled in a wooden jig?
    So was the crankshaft.
    i used to own a triumph t100r,( daytona) i had the crank balanced at garland &sons through leitner & bush back in the day. they had to ADD 8 0z's, half a pound, to the crank to get it to balance, after that the bike wouldn't dance backwards on the centre stand, well worth doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    i used to own a triumph t100r,( daytona) i had the crank balanced at garland &sons through leitner & bush back in the day. they had to ADD 8 0z's, half a pound, to the crank to get it to balance, after that the bike wouldn't dance backwards on the centre stand, well worth doing it right.
    http://www.offsetcrank.com/