Jacox Harley Davidson -- A Tale of Woe

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacox Harley Davidson -- A Tale of Woe

Jacox Harley Davidson -- A Tale of Woe

*WARNING - WALL OF TEXT BELOW!!!!*

Well, after picking up my bike from Jacox HD on Argentia Rd. in Mississauga, I've decided that I'm never going back due to their questionable practices.
    All 3 of these incidents happened from spring 2011 until now, January 2012.

Incident Number One:
    Had a trip to the Dragon all planned out, and the hydraulic clutch on my Buell 1125r blew it's seals a week before departure date (I just had the entire hydraulic assembly replaced under warranty less than 2 months before this incident, so either the part was defective or the install was done poorly). They checked with Deely's (HD parts supplier in Canada), and were told they (Jacox) would have the parts in on the day after I was supposed to leave. I figured that wasn't a problem - I'd postpone for a week.
    Was told my bike would be ready on Monday around noon for a pickup, and that they would call me in the morning. I called on the Friday (3 days earlier) to confirm all the parts were in house and the bike was indeed being worked on, which they claimed it was. Had friends coming to meet me at the Dragon from Atlanta (they also rescheduled after hearing I wouldn't make the original dates). Called on the Thursday to ensure the parts were in at Jacox HD - they were, and yes, the bike would be ready on Monday.
    No call back on Monday morning. I call them at noon. Sorry, bike won't be ready till Tuesday.
    Call my friends in Atlanta and tell them I'll be a day late due to repair delays.

No call back on Tuesday morning. I call them at noon. Sorry, bike won't be ready till Wednesday.
    Call my friends from Atlanta (now at the Dragon) and say I'll be there 2 days late (will end up being drive down, ride 1 day, drive back at this point).

No call back on Wednesday morning. I call them at noon. Sorry, bike won't be ready till Thursday.
    Call my friends from Atlanta (having a blast at the Dragon) and cancel my appearance completely.
    Drive to Jacox to see if a visit in person can get their butts into gear - arrive at about 2:30pm. Head tech sees I'm upset, and comes over to talk to me. Says he can arrange for me to get a loaner bike until Friday. He seems to be a good guy, and his gesture was much appreciated, but I was there in my truck and would have been pointless to take a bike at that point.

No call back on Thursday morning. I call them at noon. Sorry, bike won't be ready till Friday.

Finally got a call back on Thursday at about 4:45pm saying my bike is ready for pick up. At this point, I'm livid - firmly let them know that I was not happy (no yelling or screaming). Asked to speak to the owner. He refused, stating he was on a conference call, but promised they would "take care of me."
    Main problem: Jacox Harley Davidson lied to me repeatedly about delivery date and completely screwed over my vacation. Only good moment was the head tech (Gary I believe his name is).

-------------------

Incident Number Two:
    Take my bike in for a new fuel pump/sending unit and possible dash cluster (warranty work).
    To access the area where the fuel pump/sending unit is located, you have to drop the swing arm. To get to the axle nut, you have to remove my swing arm sliders (they sit in the recess of the swing arm, over the nut, and have a long threaded rod going completely through the axle to the other side).
    Got the bike back in a decent amount of time, so I was very pleased. Unfortunately, it was a day that was windy (east to west winds), and was grey and threatening rain badly. I was dropped off by a friend heading into Toronto (I'm from Waterloo). By the time the bike was wheeled out, it had started to rain lightly. Not a problem I thought - leading edge of the storm, so if I hit the 401 west I could leave the rain behind (which, luckily, is exactly what happened). Should have given the bike a good once over before leaving, but erroneously didn't.
    Next few days were rainy and crap.
    First nice day after picking the bike up, a good cleaning was in order.
    Lo and behold, my swing arm sliders were missing. Either the tech forgot to reinstall them or installed them incorrectly and they fell off on the 401.
    Called Jacox Harley Davidson up, and told them. Service advisor said she would ask the tech if he remembers putting them on, and if he could look for them.
    Give them a week. Call back. Apparently they can't find the sliders, leading me to believe they fell off on the way home.
    Advisor told me she couldn't find them in her HD parts book - they're after market, and HD doesn't make them. Fine, she says. Order new ones, pay up front, and fax in the bill to them. Bill will be credited to my account ($100.15 after shipping).
    Main problem: Missing sliders. Inconveniences me, and I'm out $100.15 up until the point I need to get something done outside of warranty work.

----------

Incident Number Three:
    This one culminated today.
    Took the bike in 2 weeks ago to get a major service done (check valves etc, which requires a rotation of the engine - 6 hours of labour and usual parts involved - beyond my skill set by a bunch, don't have the correct tools or space to do it either).
    Asked to get a complete quote beforehand. Comes up at $700 all said and done after taxes. I asked them to apply my credit. Apparently, my credit has mysteriously vanished. I asked them to have a look through my file and records, to see if they can find my faxes. No luck. Told them I'd look for copies at home. Found copies, as well as the confirmation report showing the date, time, snapshot of first page and phone number sent to. Re-Faxed them in. Called later in the day. Since they had no record (i.e. they "lost" my original faxes, it wasn't noted in the file and the service advisor who was taking care of me longer works there) available, the best they were willing to do was give me a $50 credit, despite me resending in the original faxes and confirmation report. I didn't send the faxes from my PC or some corner store, but from my work, also using their cover pages, so it's obvious I'm not trying to screw them over.
    Go over the bike before leaving. The deutsch plug (auxilliary power connector) is hanging out from under the side pod cowl (look up a pic of a Buell 1125r in case you're curious) by a good 4 inches - should be tucked away neatly. The right side engine casing wasn't cleaned worth crap. There are streaks of fluid running down the side of the case (by the hydraulic clutch), guessing from a bleeding procedure.
    Had a fellow GTAM'er with me as a witness, so somebody else could see the state of the bike upon pick up etc.

Main problems: Due to a "clerical" error, I'm out $50 due to them screwing up twice (sliders missing, improper filing). Tried my best to prove my side, but without the ex-employee being there, they wouldn't listen. The tech's attention to detail is complete crap. Sure, they made a note that my header wrap is loose, but don't take the time to wipe the casing after a bleed, and put on the pod cover without putting everything back where it should be.

Final Resolution: Never EVER going back there again.

Recommendation for Anyone Else: Never EVER go there. Will relate my story to anyone who asks what I think of their service department. That's about all I can do.

Sorry again about the wall of text...
    Last edited by Bigevildoer; 01-20-2012 at 08:23 PM.
    Kohlarbonez... 'Cause Running Wide, Front Brakes and Grass Just Don't Mix....

Re: Jacox Harley Davidson -- A Tale of Woe

A typical business in Canada, zero customer service, no honesty, no respect, they just don't give a **** about you. No wonder so many bike stores go out of business after a few years.

Retards.

I had a the same thing happen to me at a harley dealer in peterborough in 2007. I was so peed off that i sold the dyna i had and bought a suzuki. No troubles since.

You should have searched this site before going to any HD dealer, they all suck ***.
    And yes, i ride one, except it will never see the dealership again.
    Doesn't matter if you have it signed in gold and blood, they always find a way to deny their mistakes.
    Even if you manage to prove your point at the dealership, they would just refer you to Dealey canada, the biggest bunch of pirates, and their "expert" would find fault with the customer, end of story.
    Bottom line >> We got your money, now screw off!

And if you are silly enough to go back 3 times, they take advantage and start charging you extra for that too.

Good thing Jeffe will be in Virginia now, i'll be ordering any parts i need from him directly,
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 01-22-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Dealey are thieves...I buy everything from the States. I've had pretty good experience with Barrie HD.
    I try to do everything myself...so I can only blame myself...worked so far so good.
    07 Buell XB12Ss
    Black, jardine exhaust, race ecm, k&n filter,
    CRG Hindsight bar end mirrors, crossroads handle bars, dieselmoto fender eliminator, gel grips, 010 Buell firebolt tire hugger and belt guard, S-10 British avon gas mask, right side air scoop, Buell pegasus decal and pazzo levers and then 5-0dro sliders & Rizoma track 77 led signals

Can someone explain to me why Buell division of H-D got shut down?

"Dealey are thieves...I buy everything from the States. I've had pretty good experience with Barrie HD.
    I try to do everything myself...so I can only blame myself...worked so far so good."

Re:Above

Not sure how this is Deeley's fault. Jacox is the dealer.

it seems to me that your problem shouldnt be with the dealership, it should be that you bought a crappy bike.

you needed :
    hydraulic clutch seals,
    new fuel pump/sending unit and possible dash cluster,
    major service done (check valves etc, which requires a rotation of the engine - 6 hours of labour and usual parts involved,

all in one season, at three different times.

crap product, and crap service

My fault for going back there as often as I did. Never again, plain and simple.
    If you don't have a big a*s HD product that requires a ton of bolt on pieces to look and work half decently (via the HD Chromatorium) they don't really care about you. Common complaint I've heard about HD Dealerships.

only reason I went there is because the engine needs to be rotated, and should really be done by somebody who's worked on that kind of bike before, or else they'll spend just as long reading the tech manual as much as they're wrenching.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Can someone explain to me why Buell division of H-D got shut down.
    Buell was the only profitable division of HD when it was shut down. All the other departments were seriously in the red. HD received a bail out from the U.S. government to the tune of $1 Billion. They were on the brink of going under (seriously - their stock price bottomed out to just about zero beforehand). As part of the restructuring, they closed Buell, and refused to sell it to Bombardier - who had expressed a generous offer for the 1125 platform only - approximately $100 million. HD refused, citing that Buell was too tightly integrated into the HD business model to be sold out. Ended up costing over $125 million to shutter Buell, including a huge contract buyout to Rotax (who had been signed to build the 1125 engines for 10 years, and the contract cancelled after just barely over 2). Incidentally, Bombardier owns Rotax, and was willing to waive the fee if HD accepted their offer.
    So, Buell got closed. Erik Buell started his own company, Erik Buell Racing. Just put out a new bike based off the 1125 engine, bored, blueprinted etc to 1190cc's. Other than that totally redone and improved. Initial product run is very small, and the price crazy high ($40K) - but this is anticipated to drop to someting along the lines of something directly in competition with Ducati pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Not sure how this is Deeley's fault. Jacox is the dealer.
    Deeley's doesn't carry any stock of Buell parts - further promoting the "Buell is the red headed step child of HD" mentality. I've talked to lots of guys in the states who's wait times for parts are about a quarter of what they are here.

Clutch seals are a known issue on this bike, and the fuel pump/sending units are known to be flakey on the 2008 models (which mine is) -- teething issues on a new platform. Aprilia had to replace the engines on each and every of it's RSV4's that were built in around the first 6 months of their production.

As for the major service - it's the 20,000 km service. First valve check is necessary in my opinion. If I hadn't ridden that far in 2 seasons I wouldn't have needed the work done. Can't blame the platform on that.

Am I frustrated by the way I was treated - absolutely. Do I love my bike, absolutely. Try riding an 1125 that's dialed in for your weight and riding style, you'd love it too. But loving my bike doesn't mean I am at all impressed by the way we're treated.

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    it seems to me that your problem shouldnt be with the dealership, it should be that you bought a crappy bike.

you needed :
    hydraulic clutch seals,
    major service done (check valves etc, which requires a rotation of the engine - 6 hours of labour and usual parts involved,

i would not have gone back after the first incident

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

you needed :
    hydraulic clutch seals,

You should not give advice, obviously you've been drinking or doing recreational drugs of some sort...lol.
    Last edited by Kool; 01-21-2012 at 08:04 AM.

From the Jan bike show, HD said they'd have a sale of 15% off all parts at Mackie, Davies and Jacox. I called Jacox who came right out and said its only instock parts that get the deal (the flyer said nothing about this). The girl who answered noted it was a misprint so they won't order anything and give discount.

I called Davies. I didn't mention the Jacox info, just that I needed a very costly part (over $1000) so the discount was a huge deal to me. Anyhow, she said she found the part, it'd be in by x date, and that I'm also very lucky cuz they have a 15% off sale, so I saved quite a bit.

part is with me now and I did get the discount. I confirmed the same information at jacox on two different calls. THey insisted it was a misprint and they won't honour it.

Not overly impressed but whatever, I have many options.
    james
    07 Harley Sportster

GEAR - some people ride with it, some people don't. It's time to accept this fact and move onto more pressing preaching.

HID's - your crappy install is blinding and annoying everyone else - not to mention putting yourself in some degree of danger.

Can we make a category called, "My skills suck, lemme tell you why.." forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    You should not give advice, obviously you've been drinking or doing recreational drugs of some sort...lol.
    i didnt give advice, it was an opinion.

his bike is an 08 and has needed more repairs than everyone i know , and their bikes are 10 years older.
    i see your avatar is a buell logo, do you ride one as well ? have you had as much repair work done ?

There are over 700,000 people in Mississauga...I can't understand why there aren't more bike shops in Mississauga. When I was young and growing up in Guelph there were 50,000 people (before the building boom) and there were three bike shops...small, but they were always busy. A few days ago my local car mechanic (in Mississauga) even mentioned this to me, and was tinkering with idea of hiring a motorcycle mechanic to work out of his shop. These big bike shops need some competition, and it seems that most of us who are not mechanically inclined are willing to pay a fair price for great service. We also talk it up a lot, and as a motorcycle community stick together...in terms of recommending places to take our bikes. I hope there are some people out there who read these type of threads, and are inspired to start up their own small shops in Mississauga.
    '04 BMW F650GS
    '86 Honda z50r

No wonder Jacox doesn't give a rat's *** about your bike, it's an 1125R, the only Buell without a Sportster based motor. All the wrenchers are used to working on either big twins or sporties so your bike is the odd one out. Does any Harley even have a hydraulic clutch? They probably had to pull out the service manual from the back of the shelf and blow off the half inch of dust and draw straws to see who would work on your bike each time you visited. I'll bet if you had any other Buell, you would've been treated better.

I'm not condoning their lack of customer service but just trying to see it from their side.
    Last edited by RetroGrouch; 01-21-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

"We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

i didnt give advice, it was an opinion.

his bike is an 08 and has needed more repairs than everyone i know , and their bikes are 10 years older.
    i see your avatar is a buell logo, do you ride one as well ? have you had as much repair work done ?
    Opinion or advice whatever.... It's a Buell it's gotta be crappy mentality...lol. Mine has had zero issues other than normal wear and tear items for 4 1/2 years. Freakin awesome bike...can't say enough about it. The guy had a few new model issues big deal...the bigger problem is a "crappy dealer" is all. When I've had a question and once I had to get my tps reset at Barrie HD I talked to people who owned Buell's and or were Buell techs...so no problems.

In 2007 i put a Yyna strret boob on the road brand new in April 1 on April 28 he fuel pump quite it is in the tank.The deal came picked it up at my house,wanted to charge 35.00 for the pick up. It took 2 weeks to fix and the reason they used was it was new and there there arn't many parts available yet.

I get a call saying i can pick up my bike 2 weeks later at 3.30 on a wednesday in May. I tell them that i will be in the next day to get it.I get a phone call about 45 min. later saying i can't pick up my bike because there was a problem on the test ride.
    I go in the next day i find out that primary drive has come apart , the flywheel is missing 15 teeth and the starter pinion gear looks like someone beat it eith a hatchet the clutch basket is destroyed and all the primary seals are gone.

The dealer says that it is my fault and i did the damage when i tried to start it and the feul pump failed. They then tell me it will take 10 weeks to fix because there are noparts available , at this point this bike has 800km on it. I go back and forth with Dealy to no resolution so i sold it and bought a new Suzuki and have been smilin ever since.

@Bigevildoer -that sucks!
    Give Kitchener HD a shout next time, I've had good experiences with them and importantly to your situation the General Manager, the Sales Manager and the Service Manager all have 1125r's. As the Buell becomes more obscure I think you have a better chance with shops that love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Motoshire747 View Post
    @Bigevildoer -that sucks!
    Give Kitchener HD a shout next time, I've had good experiences with them and importantly to your situation the General Manager, the Sales Manager and the Service Manager all have 1125r's. As the Buell becomes more obscure I think you have a better chance with shops that love them.
    I've heard many good things about KW HD, but unfortunately, they were never a Buell authorized facility, and none of their techs have had the factory training. Due to this, they could not do any of the warranty work for me.

After going over my service manual, the next "big" thing would be servicing the forks in 10,000 km, then another valve check at 40K - which I will pass on. Everything else either I can do myself or have the guys at Apex Cycle in Waterloo do (very happy with the way they've treated me in the past -- tech there was uncomfortable doing the engine rotation, as he's never done one on the 1125 platform etc.)