Lost control of a vehicle in difficult weather conditions, got a ticket... - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost control of a vehicle in difficult weather conditions, got a ticket...

Re: Lost control of a vehicle in difficult weather conditions, got a ticket...

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    "Driving according to conditions" also means knowing when to leave the car in the driveway because of conditions.
    maybe that just applies to you!

Move over to the slow lane and let us pass by.....

"driving according to conditions" also means knowing when to leave the car in the driveway because of conditions.
    qft.
    I plan on leaving this world the same way i came in...... Bloody and screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    maybe that just applies to you!

Move over to the slow lane and let us pass by.....
    Pull over to the slow lane in of his driveway?

"Driving according to conditions" also means knowing when to leave the car in the driveway because of conditions.
    lol. What if you leave your house and your street is pretty good, get on the main road and it is still pretty good, then you hit a street like that one and slide, does that mean that you should have left the car at home?
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Those people lined up at the top of the hill like it's a waterpark fun slide seeing the cars in front go all over the place are certainly not using their noggins.
    well, yea I agree with that, but there is always that one first car that couldn't realise what was under the snow, that no matter how slow or "according to conditions" he was driving, didn't have a chance, that's my point.

The fact that the rest of the idiots tried going for it when they saw how bad the other cars were sliding is just pure stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Oh my goodness, bunch of Mario Andretti’s in here.

If there is ice under the snow, you can be going at 20 (which seems according to conditions) and veer off the road.

I have gone across a red light (very slowly) due to the slippery conditions while a cop is waiting on the other side and they just asked me if I was ok, no ticket. I was driving according to conditions, i wasn't doing anything unsafe.

Obviously you were not.
    Well, I was in a police cruiser being delivered to my ex's place (was just involved in an accident about 1km away from her place - guy rear ended my car in freezing rain) - cop was nice enough to drive me to her place, which is on a hill. He went to turn into the driveway - the rear end spun around, and the car proceeded to slowly slide all the way down the hill (about 150 metres) slowly spinning in circles.

He was driving according to conditions, attempted to turn into a driveway at about 5 km/h, in a fully prepped cruiser with winter tires..
    Kohlarbonez... 'Cause Running Wide, Front Brakes and Grass Just Don't Mix....

Down the hill, right? ...... hill being the key word.

If I counted how many times I thought I am going 20km/h or less but I didn't, I'd be a rich man. Humans get fooled easily and the fact is that most people don't look at their speedo in the first place, so what you get all the time is a reported speed a lot lower than what it actually was ....
    Last edited by mxs; 01-25-2012 at 09:38 AM.

I have yet to see conditions in GTA not suitable for driving. It just doesn't happen .... I might re-consider, but only because of a traffic jam or serious backlog/construction, but never due to weather. Not in this part of Canada (to all my relatives surprise).

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    I have yet to see conditions in GTA not suitable for driving. It just doesn't happen .... I might re-consider, but only because of a traffic jam or serious backlog/construction, but never due to weather. Not in this part of Canada (to all my relatives surprise).
    It happens. Just not frequently. I recall driving into work one morning when I worked in Mississauga, driving around to the back of the building and turning the wheel, only to slide about 100 feet and right over a low concrete wall. Brakes did nothing. Steering did nothing. Given the water and ice on the asphalt I might as well have been driving right behind a Zamboni. The only thing that would have helped is studs, which aren't legal in southern Ontario.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    The highway last year that was closed and the cars were stuck in how many feet of snow, that qualifies no?

The 402 corridor isn't really the GTA.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    The 402 corridor isn't really the GTA.
    My bad, didn't see he mentioned the GTA specifically at the beginning of his post.

Quote Originally Posted by ATTS View Post
    My bad, didn't see he mentioned the GTA specifically at the beginning of his post.
    No bigguns. That area and London do get some pretty serious lake effect snow of Lake Huron from time to time. Last year was the storm that closed down the 402, we also got a storm that dropped about 75cm of snow on London and 100cm+ of snow on Lucan (little town 15 mins North of London) in two days. We had a similar storm when i was in 4th year at Western (so 2006).

The GTA is far enough away that it doesn't get any of that lake effect snow.

December 30 (about 22:00) in Newmarket/Aurora area was brutal. I walked out onto the road and slid down a slight hill. I have never seen ice like that in the GTA before (at my parents place east of the GTA, we got crap like that a few times a year). It was a lot like the video, with snow tires and speeds of literally <2 km/h you could move a car mostly under control down the hill, up was a non-starter. I don't know if it was just a small patch or if a wider area had that crap but leaving your driveway at that time would more than likely result in a crash.