Any Super Ténéré owners in the crowd?

Thread: Any Super Ténéré owners in the crowd?

Any Super Ténéré owners in the crowd?

After writing off my 2010 BMW F800GS at the end of the summer, I'm looking for a replacement. Currently I'm leaning toward the Yamaha Super Ténéré instead of the BMW R1200GS for some relatively serious 2-up adventure touring.

Who's got one in the GTA? Where did you get it and how much can I expect to pay off list?

I've not seen one on the road and only saw it for the first time at the motorcycle show a couple of weeks ago.

Re: Any Super Ténéré owners in the crowd?

Last time is was in Oakville Yamaha they had a black one in stock. As I recall it was listed at about $16,500. Nice bike.
    "You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime." (Burt Munro)

If I were to get a touring/DS bike that is exactly what I would be after!

Quote Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
    After writing off my 2010 BMW F800GS at the end of the summer, I'm looking for a replacement. Currently I'm leaning toward the Yamaha Super Ténéré instead of the BMW R1200GS for some relatively serious 2-up adventure touring.

Who's got one in the GTA? Where did you get it and how much can I expect to pay off list?

I've not seen one on the road and only saw it for the first time at the motorcycle show a couple of weeks ago.
    How did you write your GS off?

The Triumph Explorer is another one to consider as well.
    Central America, South America & Africa on DR650's - BLOG
    2005 CBR 600RR - sold
    2007 F650GS - sold
    2008 DR650

You might find this interesting then: http://cmgonline.com/2011/12/super-t...long-termer-3/
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

There's a UK based magazine that I pick up once in a while when I find it at a local magazine store called "Adventure Bike" and it did a multi-page article on Nick Sanders (if you don't know him, google him - he's gone around the world several times on a Yamaha R1 - yes, an R1 off road until Yamaha gave him the then new Super Tenere). ANyhow, 57,000 MILES later of hard off-raod, crappy gas and pure punishment, he thought that he should tear it down and inspect/repair/replace anything required. I was shocked to read and learn how just about anything inside the engine was in near-new condition. I know this world loves their BMW GSs (thans mainly to Ewan and Charlie for their Long Way Down and Long Way Round) but I absolutely love the Super Tenere. Having said that, why isn't the KTM 990 Adventure an option for you?
    ------------------------------
    Alon
    KTM RC8R

Previously enjoyed:
    Yamaha R1
    KTM 640ADV
    Ducati 996S
    Toronto, On.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
    The Triumph Explorer is another one to consider as well.
    Admittedly, I don't know the first thing about Triumphs and if I'm not mistaken, the Explorer is an even newer bike than the entirely-yet-to-be-proven Ténéré. I should really have a serious look at it too, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    You might find this interesting then: http://cmgonline.com/2011/12/super-t...long-termer-3/
    Thanks for that! I had not seen that article. They don't love the bike and give good reasons why.

Quote Originally Posted by alon View Post
    There's a UK based magazine that I pick up once in a while when I find it at a local magazine store called "Adventure Bike" and it did a multi-page article on Nick Sanders (if you don't know him, google him - he's gone around the world several times on a Yamaha R1 - yes, an R1 off road until Yamaha gave him the then new Super Tenere). ANyhow, 57,000 MILES later of hard off-raod, crappy gas and pure punishment, he thought that he should tear it down and inspect/repair/replace anything required. I was shocked to read and learn how just about anything inside the engine was in near-new condition. I know this world loves their BMW GSs (thans mainly to Ewan and Charlie for their Long Way Down and Long Way Round) but I absolutely love the Super Tenere. Having said that, why isn't the KTM 990 Adventure an option for you?
    I did see this article and the accompanying video. Very interesting, but honestly not terribly surprising. Yamaha overengineers everything, which may partially explain the weight 60+ lbs difference between the GS and the Ténéré.

I had considered the KTM 990, but I think it is too dirt oriented and not as well-suited to 2-up riding as the Yamaha or BMW. In fact, before buying my 8GS, my short list was the KTM and it.

FWIW, out of the 12GS, Ténéré, and the KTM, admittedly, the KTM is probably the most "fun".

As of right now, I'm still undecided which bike to get, but my bias towards the Yamaha has returned back to center between it and the BMW.

Thanks for that! I had not seen that article. They don't love the bike and give good reasons why.
    Keep in mind, when you read reports about things like wind buffeting, that Rob is a bit of a freak of nature. If you aren't six and a half feet tall, you likely won't experience it. Costa isn't exactly a midget either. Larry is fairly 1:1 scale, so his comments about ergos are generally spot-on.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Keep in mind, when you read reports about things like wind buffeting, that Rob is a bit of a freak of nature. If you aren't six and a half feet tall, you likely won't experience it. Costa isn't exactly a midget either. Larry is fairly 1:1 scale, so his comments about ergos are generally spot-on.
    I'm 6'2" and am very familiar with buffeting, especially with the shorty stock windshield on the F800GS. I ended up replacing it with a V-stream that was much improved, but not perfect. I know many guys have done similar windshield experimentation on the Ténéré.

Thanks for the heads-up on these fellows. I am not at all familiar with their review style, ergo requirements, and general writing. I'm still a relative newbie to the sport.