Want to get License - When should I write my M1?

Thread: Want to get License - When should I write my M1?

Want to get License - When should I write my M1?

Hi All,

With GTAM offering the M1 Exit courses to their members, through Learning Curves, at a discount, it's come to my attention that not everyone is sure when is the best time to write your M1 License.

You are required to have your M1 license when you arrive for the course. You are required by the Ministry to have your M1 for a minimum of 60 days to a maximum of 90 days.

So, if you write your M1 today (Jan 18, 2012) and pass, you then have to have it for a minimum of 60 day before you can upgrade to your M2. That means that you need to take AND PASS the M1 Exit course no later than April 17th.

If you get your M1 April 2nd, you can sign up and take the M1 Exit course April 7th. If you pass, you will be provided your paperwork to take to the ministry to upgrade your license, you just CAN'T do it before the specified date of June 2nd.

So, you can take your M1 Exit course anytime through the term of your M1 license. It's just a matter of timing as to when you can upgrade. The best option would be to write your M1 at least 30 days before your scheduled course date. This gives you time should you not pass the M1 for some reason, and also gives you time after you've taken the M1 Exit course, if for some reason you didn't pass and have to do a re-test.

Sponsor Me Today ................................ Sponsor the GTAM Ride Team

2011 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $29,335.50 
    2010 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $37,836.14 
    2009 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $39,347.14 
    2008 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $37,868.15 
    2007 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $18,540.28 
    2004 GTA Motorcycle RFS Online Ride Team: $13,408.69

Re: Want to get License - When should I write my M1?

So if you take the course M1 Exit course within 30 days of getting your M1 license, you would still have to wait another 30 days before you go to the ministry to upgrade to M2, since you need to have an M1 for no less than 60 days and no more than 90?

Thanks for 'splainin' it.

As a matter of fact, I got my M1 May 13th, and did my M1 exit on Aug 13th - the last day before the license expires! Passed thankfully! LOL so do it early people!
    1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Current)
    2010 Ninja 250R (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by mingo View Post
    So if you take the course M1 Exit course within 30 days of getting your M1 license, you would still have to wait another 30 days before you go to the ministry to upgrade to M2, since you need to have an M1 for no less than 60 days and no more than 90?

Thanks for 'splainin' it.
    Yep, if you go to a course and pass before the 60 day period they will give you a sealed envelope which you have to then take to the ministry between the 60-90 day period for them to give you your m2.

If CuteKill has to 'splain it to ya, it's time to get you some reading done, son.

Quote Originally Posted by elton_t View Post
    As a matter of fact, I got my M1 May 13th, and did my M1 exit on Aug 13th - the last day before the license expires! Passed thankfully! LOL so do it early people!
    If you did fail that day you could re-book another test that day for a later date and they would give you an extension on your M1 till the later date.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

I pretty much thought of the same thing -- Signed up with RTI for Easter weekend (April 7th/8th), and will likely go get my M1 the first week of February. Meaning, if I pass on my first go then I can walk in within a few days of passing the course and get my M2, but if I screw up somehow I still have close to a month to re-test again.The better question should be 'how does one wait for winter to end and spring to come without going insane (with course booked and gear purchased)' -- I'm still working on the answer to that one myself :P lol.
    Last edited by conundrum; 01-20-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    I am the Stig's father's brother's cousin's nephew's former roommate.

Bike: 2011 Honda CBR250R ABS - T-Rex Frame Sliders, Sato Spools, Tankslapper Film, TechSpec SS Tankpads, Fastpack Tail Bag
    Cage: 2006 Honda Accord V6 6spd Coupe - AEM V2, HFP Suspension, TL-S Sway, CT Shortshift, Partial Exhaust

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by ATTS View Post
    Yep, if you go to a course and pass before the 60 day period they will give you a sealed envelope which you have to then take to the ministry between the 60-90 day period for them to give you your m2.
    They always give you a sealed envelope, even if you are between 60 and 90 days.

If you are over 60 days, and the Ministry is open, you can go right away to get the upgrade.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.