Thinking of Renting out my bike! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of Renting out my bike!

Re: Thinking of Renting out my bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Slono View Post
    I'm pretty sure it says right in the ministry book that the motor vehicle has to be at least 249cc before doing a test that involves the highway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Cycle View Post
    P.S. to a previous poster, how do you get your full M on a CBR 125. I thought they required a 250 for a full M?
    I did my M test on a 125 and so have many others.
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

I'm pretty sure it says right in the ministry book that the motor vehicle has to be at least 249cc before doing a test that involves the highway.
    What "ministry book"?

AFAICT the minimum displacement requirement is an urban myth. Any motorcycle registered as a full motorcycle and not a "moped" and not a "limited speed motorcycle", and which has two wheels as opposed to three, is legal to go on the highway and that's the only requirement.

haha so many people who just guess everything on here
    1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Current)
    2010 Ninja 250R (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    What "ministry book"?

AFAICT the minimum displacement requirement is an urban myth. Any motorcycle registered as a full motorcycle and not a "moped" and not a "limited speed motorcycle", and which has two wheels as opposed to three, is legal to go on the highway and that's the only requirement.

I thought I had read it in the official MTO motorcycle handbook, but I was wrong. Where I heard this information was from my instructor at my MSF course. It seems as though they're spreading wrong information. The MTO handbook states that as long as you can go 80km/h safely the vehicle you use for your M license test is valid.

Quote Originally Posted by elton_t View Post
    haha so many people who just guess everything on here
    I didn't guess, I took a MSF course with a misinformed instructor. My apologies if it screwed you up.

[QUOTE=mimico_polak;1716516]I rented a bike before I purchased mine, and paid a $20/day insurance to the owner of the bike, but not sure if it actually covered me or if this was legally done. Nothing happened thankfully but you never know.
    QUOTE]

When legitimately renting a car, the rental company will have a policy to protect their interests. The extra coverage the renter buys is to eliminate any deductable. I don't see a M/C being any different other than the rates being steeper.

If you rent a personal bike from a friend / back lane etc, a $20 per day insurance charge is just padding the bill and has no legal status. It doesn't get passed onto the insurance company. How long would the policy stay in effect if the insurance company got a $20 along with a note saying "I rented my bike to someone yesterday, Here's a little something for your troubles."?
    Take a look at any insurance policy. The policies are specific contracts between the insurance company and the specific owner for a specific use and subject to specific conditions. You can't re-write an insurance policy on the back of a cigarette package with a crayon whether you are renting or setting up a test ride.