Garage insulation and heating please give me some advice - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garage insulation and heating please give me some advice

Re: Garage insulation and heating please give me some advice

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    And as far as what Cat is saying I still believe she is correct in a sense. Maybe not as much savings, but as a percentage of use it can be significant. Our friend up there is using a 1500W heater... the constructions heaters that I know of are 4800W so right off the bat they are suckin 3 times the juice. I think I am coing to borrow a construction heater from work and see if it will heat the place first.
    Thank you Important thing was you got what I was saying.

As for the Attic, I'm curious. If you dont want to keep it here then PM me the section of the code to look at. If I am wrong I will happily eat my words as we will have all learned from it and thats what matters. I keep asking though and you just keep drawing away from my requests.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Thank you Important thing was you got what I was saying.

As for the Attic, I'm curious. If you dont want to keep it here then PM me the section of the code to look at. If I am wrong I will happily eat my words as we will have all learned from it and thats what matters. I keep asking though and you just keep drawing away from my requests.
    Hey Cat, like your choice of bikes. It seems like your in the business of building etc... Coffee?
    Current bikes:

I put a 75,000 btu gas heater in my two car attached garage last year.The reason i went with a 75,000 was because i got a deal.For a 2 car it calls for only a 45,000 btu heater.The walls have no insulation, but they do have drywall.The ceiling i insulated and it cost me about $70 last winter to heat at 68 degrees.I leave it set at 68 and thats with a car in and out all the time.Not sure about the whole insulating, but spend the money and get a good heater, and be done with it.Princess auto has the Mr.heater's on sale all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by estcoaster View Post
    I put a 75,000 btu gas heater in my two car attached garage last year.The reason i went with a 75,000 was because i got a deal.For a 2 car it calls for only a 45,000 btu heater.The walls have no insulation, but they do have drywall.The ceiling i insulated and it cost me about $70 last winter to heat at 68 degrees.I leave it set at 68 and thats with a car in and out all the time.Not sure about the whole insulating, but spend the money and get a good heater, and be done with it.Princess auto has the Mr.heater's on sale all the time.
    estcoaster is right ...save the money on the construction part and get a good efficient heater. You lose so much heat from your garage door, and going in and out. Insulating is pointless. construction material is so expensive and time consuming. most comercial buildings have horrible insulating construction and just keep the heat/cool air cranked

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    Pshhh.... Look who's talkin. OK OK you are right.

Truth is I work far far away from home so I won't be in theire except for 33% of the time that anyone else could be in there.

Much appreciated dude I might get in touch with you about it.

My main concern with not insulating the place is sometimes it feels so cold in there that there that I feel it might be very difficult for a heater keep up. Thank god this winter has been very mild so far.

And as far as what Cat is saying I still believe she is correct in a sense. Maybe not as much savings, but as a percentage of use it can be significant. Our friend up there is using a 1500W heater... the constructions heaters that I know of are 4800W so right off the bat they are suckin 3 times the juice. I think I am coing to borrow a construction heater from work and see if it will heat the place first.
    A 1500w heater won't use any less energy than a 4800w heater due to the simple fact that it is going to stay on three times longer to maintain the same temperature than the 4800w heater would.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Z View Post
    Hey Cat, like your choice of bikes. It seems like your in the business of building etc... Coffee?
    Hey, thanks and yes I am. Work for a large architect. Was actually involved with Maple Leaf Gardens.
    As for coffee, flattered but unless its a strictly platonic scenerio then I will have to pass. Gilligan might be away but this Cat only comes out to play with other pussy cats when hes not around.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Hey, thanks and yes I am. Work for a large architect. Was actually involved with Maple Leaf Gardens.
    As for coffee, flattered but unless its a strictly platonic scenerio then I will have to pass. Gilligan might be away but this Cat only comes out to play with other pussy cats when hes not around.
    you are a good girl!!

And Dino Z is a good guy.Everyone is safe.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Dino Z was my industry rep years back I'll vouch for him.
    You'd be as safe with him as any other Italian cruise ship captain........oh wait a second.

kidding, he's a good guy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    A 1500w heater won't use any less energy than a 4800w heater due to the simple fact that it is going to stay on three times longer to maintain the same temperature than the 4800w heater would.
    I believe that's not true. It's like saying: driving at 200 km/h will consume as much as 100km/h since it will take twice longer to arrive (you can give it a shut but make sure the craps are not around). + The 4800W will suck lot of energy to start up!

Quote Originally Posted by zakarov View Post
    I believe that's not true. It's like saying: driving at 200 km/h will consume as much as 100km/h since it will take twice longer to arrive (you can give it a shut but make sure the craps are not around). + The 4800W will suck lot of energy to start up!
    It's not equivalent to driving as there are inefficiencies that build up when moving a car at different speeds. The thing about electric heating is that it is almost 100% efficient, meaning that 100% of the energy gets converted to heat. It shouldn't matter in this case. A 4800W or a 1500W should use very close to the same energy to heat the same size room. The 4800W would have a slight advantage since it gets to operating temp quicker. It would not be losing heat to the outside during the longer warm up time.
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

Quote Originally Posted by estcoaster View Post
    Men this is what I was thinking as well, to me seems the most reasonable and easy way, maybe i'm just lazy
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirty View Post
    It's not equivalent to driving as there are inefficiencies that build up when moving a car at different speeds. The thing about electric heating is that it is almost 100% efficient, meaning that 100% of the energy gets converted to heat. It shouldn't matter in this case. A 4800W or a 1500W should use very close to the same energy to heat the same size room. The 4800W would have a slight advantage since it gets to operating temp quicker. It would not be losing heat to the outside during the longer warm up time.
    Incorrect, some of it is given off as light and a little bit of sound when the element heats up.

Yes I know, I'm a nerd. Carry along
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Incorrect, some of it is given off as light and a little bit of sound when the element heats up.

Yes I know, I'm a nerd. Carry along
    You should probably read the 'almost' part of the sentence.
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

One consideration nobody has mentioned yet - noise insulation. When I filled the walls and ceiling with batts and drywalled the garage, our neighbours were really happy. Apparently they could hear me banging and grinding (and swearing) in the garage at all hours of the night UNTIL I finished the garage. And I already had the insulated door on.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirty View Post
    You’re right! I'm a mechanical Engineer ... I had to do some research about electrical efficiency. (I should have done that before my old post )
    Here’s a comparison between the engines efficiency:
    I found also that there’s a start up Energy cost. If you will be running the heater all the time, then a 4800W is the best. If it'll be going on/off, you should look at the priority (time to desire temperature VS cost of the heater).
    Last edited by zakarov; 02-23-2012 at 09:06 AM.