First oil change disaster! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First oil change disaster!

Re: First oil change disaster!

thanks for the input, im sure i'll get it off with one of these methods

Is it ok to put my new synthetic oil in so I can travel around ? Or will that just be a waste of good oil ?

you can put the synth oil in but when you finally take the filter off it all empties, if you drain it to reuse you'll have been running it through the dirty filter. It would probably be ok to strain it back in but for $30bucks I'd never bother. Your engine is worth a lot more than a couple quarts of oil, help it live longer. IMHO

"Now that its stripped you'll need a new bolt anyway and its a dealer item.
    You can put the old oil back in and ride it to the dealer and get it fixed, if you do this be sure you have no leaks around the filter from your attempts to get it off."

The above is the best advice I've seen posted.

Here's a couple of hints for the next time:

1. Make sure your bike and oil is fully warmed up before starting work. All drain/filter bolts will loosen more easily and you'll drain more crap out of your bike due to it being in suspension in the warm/hot oil.

2. Make sure you use 6-point sockets only. If you don't have a set, go and buy some...now. Good ones will last a lifetime.

3. Use a torque wrench to re-install both your drain bolt and filter bolt. If you don't know how to use a torque wrench, have a competent mechanic show you how.

Best 'o luck!

Funny thing now that you mention...was warm, and did use 6 point socket.

It is in good and not going anywhere, used vice grips and gater grip bit today.

Im gonna bring it in see how much this will cost me to get it off!! Any estimates guys ??

Quote Originally Posted by nanobots View Post
    Funny thing now that you mention...was warm, and did use 6 point socket.

Im gonna bring it in see how much this will cost me to get it off!! Any estimates guys ??

Well, I guess its just one of those things that happen from time-to-time.

My guesstimate to remove is perhaps 1/2 an hour of time muliplied by whatever the going shop rate is where you take it.