volt meter - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: volt meter

Re: volt meter

Neat things! I think the one small indicator that changes colour will go into the Trumpet I'm working on. I run bicycle speedos on my bikes. Cheap and small. $20. But they aren't illuminated.....the price jumps up into the hundreds it seems when ya go looking for a cycle speedo....you folks know of any cheap such?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    Neat things! I think the one small indicator that changes colour will go into the Trumpet I'm working on. I run bicycle speedos on my bikes. Cheap and small. $20. But they aren't illuminated.....the price jumps up into the hundreds it seems when ya go looking for a cycle speedo....you folks know of any cheap such?

i have tested bicycle speedos up to 75 km/h so i'm sure they will work faster than i have tested em.

oh yah there was a tail wind and i was going under the bridge on finch near wild water kingdom. passed a transport truck too.

I have one on my cbr 929RR the one pictures is blue but I have since replaced it with an orange one to match my speedo.

i bought one on ebay for 5 bucks, its digital and small like a sim card. well worth it i just dunno yet how to house it waterproof
    1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Current)
    2010 Ninja 250R (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by WarpTiger View Post
    The sound of adding a XScorpion just adds an awesomeness factor to the bike. Thanks for the recommendation any how. I would have gone for it if it wasn't 3 times the price after shipping.
    Did you email them for a shipping quote? When I got the LED Lights it was $20 shipping for a much heavier and bigger item, I would think.
    Anyway the XScorpion looks good. Is it waterproof or are you putting it somewhere out of the elements?
    1997 Honda ST1100
    1982 Honda CB900Custom (sold 2007)
    1980 Honda CM400

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday Rider View Post
    Did you email them for a shipping quote? When I got the LED Lights it was $20 shipping for a much heavier and bigger item, I would think.
    Anyway the XScorpion looks good. Is it waterproof or are you putting it somewhere out of the elements?
    shipping was free to the states. $3 extra for Canada. i thinks its the best value out of all the options i looked at. i just wish i could retract my offer for a cheap Chinese one which seems to cost the same. hopefully he rejects my offer.
    Last edited by WarpTiger; 01-15-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Considering your application, would you not be better off with an ammeter?

These are nice...

http://www.vdo.com/generator/www/com...mmeter_en.html

I have a LED based volt meter, it has a little chip in it - depending on the voltage the light changes. Green means 13.1V to 14.5V, red is somehting like 11.5 Volts to 12V....red flashing menas under 12V....orange means 12V to 13.1V (something like that)

THis way you dont have to do a calcualtion in your braiin, GREEN IS GOOD and OK. Red is not ok, orange is caution.

When you see 12.7V - your brain has to think and compute if its GOOD / BAD / ACCEPTABLE.....but if its green its all good.

Thats' why I would reccomend the LED STYLE based indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    I have a LED based volt meter, it has a little chip in it - depending on the voltage the light changes. Green means 13.1V to 14.5V, red is somehting like 11.5 Volts to 12V....red flashing menas under 12V....orange means 12V to 13.1V (something like that)

THis way you dont have to do a calcualtion in your braiin, GREEN IS GOOD and OK. Red is not ok, orange is caution.

When you see 12.7V - your brain has to think and compute if its GOOD / BAD / ACCEPTABLE.....but if its green its all good.

Thats' why I would reccomend the LED STYLE based indicator.
    Where did u get this?
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Where did u get this?
    some guy in california, i will look it up.

there are two types, you can get it mounted in a little box or as a push in switch type....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    In other words, an IDIOT light that alerts you when things are broken. Having a proper gauge let's you see deterioration in a given system component before it actually reaches a "broken" state.

Think of your coolant temperature gauge - would you replace that with an idiot light as well for ease of use? Or would you prefer the early warning that a gauge reading provides when a cooling system is still working, but with decreasing effectiveness?

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    In other words, an IDIOT light that alerts you when things are broken. Having a proper gauge let's you see deterioration in a given system component before it actually reaches a "broken" state.

Think of your coolant temperature gauge - would you replace that with an idiot light as well for ease of use? Or would you prefer the early warning that a gauge reading provides when a cooling system is still working, but with decreasing effectiveness?
    I've seen another member on this forum have it.
    I like the fact that u can install it directly into the instrument cluster without having a box protruding
    Resident Loudmouth

I have bought the LED lights from this vendor, and have had great service. He has this model which looks interesting. I have the Datel installed on my m/c.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692098
    I've installed a Datel on my bike as well. The LCD version is water resistant from the front which really it's all you need. Protection from the rain. I took some electric tape and covered up the back end which should help any back splash. Waterproof is nice but if this is attached to my bike and it gets submerged with water, a fried volt meter is the least of my worries. =P
    Although waterproof isn't needed the price of this is nice. Half the cost of the Datel I bought. But if you look at the setup you'll notice that the waterproof meter draws power from the bike (the third cable) to run it. The Datel is self powered so only two wires.
    The real trick to this is to put a relay or switch so it's not running when you park. I installed both. I have the relay hooked up to the lights so when I turn on the bike, lights automatically go on, and it turns on the meter. The one oversight I failed to take into account is that if I throw the high beams the meter goes off. =P The reason for the switch is so that I can turn it off when riding at night when I dont need it.

Hope your setup goes well!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowlemon View Post
    I've installed a Datel on my bike as well. The LCD version is water resistant from the front which really it's all you need. Protection from the rain. I took some electric tape and covered up the back end which should help any back splash. Waterproof is nice but if this is attached to my bike and it gets submerged with water, a fried volt meter is the least of my worries. =P
    Although waterproof isn't needed the price of this is nice. Half the cost of the Datel I bought. But if you look at the setup you'll notice that the waterproof meter draws power from the bike (the third cable) to run it. The Datel is self powered so only two wires.
    The real trick to this is to put a relay or switch so it's not running when you park. I installed both. I have the relay hooked up to the lights so when I turn on the bike, lights automatically go on, and it turns on the meter. The one oversight I failed to take into account is that if I throw the high beams the meter goes off. =P The reason for the switch is so that I can turn it off when riding at night when I dont need it.

Hope your setup goes well!
    I have mine running of a fuseblock CentechII through a relay that is triggered by an accessory wire that comes on when the bike is turned on. That way it is always running. I was thinking about hooking it to an outlet on the Centech that is always hot, and with a switch to turn the Datel off when not in use. But I figured I would forget to turn it off. As sometimes I would like to know the voltage with everything off.

I have the Datel mounted under a metal dash shelf, so it is out of the elements. I've been through many rain storms with and it has been great. I have the one with the 4 digit readout, so the 1/100's volt keeps moving all the time. Pain at first but used to it now. I like having it, so that when I am running the extra electric liner and gloves, I can see the drop in voltage.

The Amp idea makes a lot of sense though.
    1997 Honda ST1100
    1980 Honda CM400

I would not call it an idiot light by any means. And I don't know why you would want a bazillion things going on in your dash. I would personally prefer to concentrate on riding and enjoying rather then analyzing about what is going on with my bike.

There is a RANGE in which your charging system is classfied to be "GOOD" ;

Here is a good video.....the LED lights do the SAME job that the gauges does, BUT your brain does not have to computer if 13.2V is as bad as 12.7V or if 12.1V is getting into the critial zone.

GREEN means GOOD - RIDE ON
    ORANGE MEANS - CAUTION - Look into it soon.
    RED MEANS - BAD - Might want to stop at the next exit....
    RED FLASHING - BAD BAD BAD - PULL OVER ASAP.

HERE IS A GREAT video, watch it and see how your brain reacts to the gauge vs the LED light.....your brain has to compute for a split second if you use the gauges.

When you use the LED light, it processes information much quicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Bpo2NNzWo

I

So according to your theory, we should not have any sort of LED indicators and everything should be gauges?

So there would be a million gauges, monitoring all parameters...my bike's dash would look like this!??! olol

Last edited by frekeyguy; 01-24-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Na, just install an heads up display on your helmet visor with a Virtual Reality glove on your clutch hand to manipulate the display modes.
    - Robert.
    1988 BMW K100RT
    2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

I guess if the idiot light suits the user he should use it. if you are above a idiot light you can get something better.

Quote Originally Posted by robmack View Post
    Na, just install an heads up display on your helmet visor with a Virtual Reality glove on your clutch hand to manipulate the display modes.
    Hey where is the link?
    1997 Honda ST1100
    1980 Honda CM400

Hey where is the link?
    I've actually made one a few years back that hooks up to my iPhone. it was sweet! I also put a pin hole cam on the back of my helmet and could see behind me.

i just got the volt meter in the mail. took it apart and doesn't look like its water proof but i poured a bunch of liquid electrical tape in there to cover up the board so it water proof now.