First ticket need Help :(

Thread: First ticket need Help :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question First ticket need Help :(

So after 6 years of driving/riding i unfortunately have received a speeding ticket. Its for 112 in a 80 on HWY 7.

Im most certainly not paying outright so my other 2 options are pleading guilty for a reduced charge(is that right?) and plead innocence and go to court and represent myself or get an paralegal.

I dont mind paying a fine but I would really not want any points. If I plead innocent and go to court would they always offer a lesser charge if I dont "waste the courts time"?
    How detrimental is it to my driving record to have a 32 over? Any points? I know insurance will go up to which i am also worried about.
    Is it wise to represent myself( no previous experience; say im a student, im stressed with exams etc...) or should I just get a paralegal to make sure I get the smallest charge?

Sorry about the short rant, this came at the worst possible time and its really bugging me.
    Yamaha R6

Say what again. SAY WHAT AGAIN. I dare you, I double dare you, mother****er. Say what one more goddamn time.

Re: First ticket need Help :(

The first thing that you should do, is read the sticky post about fighting your ticket. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself then a paralegal could likely get reduced. Reduced how far is the question.

32 Kmh over is a 4 point infraction. Depending on your company your rates may not go up, until the second conviction for a minor infraction. A few ding you on the first.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

if you are not confident on getting it completely dropped, consider just paying it in order to start the clock running on ticket, as it counts from date of conviction.

The points are, in my view, fairly minor.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

for demerit points it's from the date of offence: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan.../demerit.shtml

Demerit points stay on your record for two years from the offence date.

I am talking about the clock for insurance companies when calculating your premiums. That is based on conviction date.

Otherwise you would see an insurance increase from the date you were charged.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iFly55 View Post
    @OpenGambit

it's from the date of offence: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan.../demerit.shtml

Demerit points stay on your record for two years from the offence date.
    And insurance counts that ticket for three years from date of conviction.

oh yes for insurance, it will be from date of conviction