suspension question

Thread: suspension question

Question suspension question

I have a 2010 YZ450 in stock form
    i know that the bike is set-up for a person that is like 5 something and 160lbs
    i think it is just going to be easier for me to change the springs for my weight instead of changing me for bike

question is
    does anyone have knowledge of what i should be looking for springs?

I do 90% trail riding, not to big into jumping not saying that if there is one in front of me i wont give her a go but i what i am saying is i dont go to mx tracks

i am 5.11 230-240lbs
    i have a spring cranked right up right now to max so the bike doesn't sink so i am just able to touch the ground with the tip of my feet
    i feel more comfortable being flat foot and not have the bike's rear end sink down to where it is close to touching

and info or input would be great

thanks

Re: suspension question

Disregard how you feel about being able to flat foot a bike with the proper suspension set up.
    I race against kids that need blocks to stand on at the start gate... Even I can just barely tip toe with my sag set properly. It doesn't matter. Once I'm up and moving it's not a factor.
    I do ride 95% MX tracks and a bit of trail for fun, but it used to be the other way around for me. When I moved up to a "big bike" I literally had to lean the bike against a tree to start it, pop it in gear and then hop on.

You most definitely do need heavier springs. Along with the proper valving to go along with it.
    With your rear spring being so far compressed, you lose a big factor in the way the spring/shock is supposed to react.
    I'm about 200 on a 2010 YZ250F and this spring I'm getting proper springs put in front and rear along with proper valving... That's the easy part of the job. After that comes all the time "tuning".

First thing to set up is the rear sag. There is static and race sag. What most people worry about is the race sag, that is with you on the bike and is generally around 100mm to 110mm. Mine was 106mm the last time I checked it.
    Your static sag, which is the weight of the bike itself on the suspension is most likely way off with your spring being so compressed.

That stuff is big picture adjustments. After that, you get to learn what rebound and compression are on the front, and the rear will throw in a third clicker.
    It takes a while to learn how to feel what it's doing. And sometimes you will do something like adjust a setting on the rear end to affect the front end.
    That's something that I've been working on lately, and now can usually go out, feel the bike and if I feel something I'm not happy with, I'll go do an adjustment and then head back on the track right away to see if I got the result I want... Helps to have a screwdriver girl track side so you can just pull over, turn a couple clicks and then get back out.
    Different tracks take different settings. My rear shock set up at Gopher Dunes isn't the same for a track like Eagle's Nest. I write down my set ups in a little note book that I keep in my tool box so I have a base line when I go from track to track.

Suspension is the first thing I mess with on my bike before I go for motor mods.
    You can't screw it up, just remember how many clicks you did and if it isn't what you want you can always go back.

Lots of reading material, youtube links to learn from, and most moto people at a riding area are willing to help. That's how I've learned most of what I know.

I picked up a sweet trick this year on how to attempt to fix a leaky fork seal with a sticker this summer from a complete stranger at the track that was parked next to me.

racetech.com ..... it's all there.

You have only cranked up a preload on your spring, you have done nothing to the overall stiffness of the spring. You will have to change the spring as medic has already said. Take the time going through the racetech site. it's one of the best free resources around.

Awesome
    thanks for taking the time to write all that info
    i am going to start shopping for new springs soon