Your favorite weekend/long weekend trips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite weekend/long weekend trips

Your favorite weekend/long weekend trips

My gf finally decided to come for a ride and loved it, so now I'm hoping that we can get away for a weekend ride or two and hopfully she'll like it enough to get off my bike and get her own. What is your favorite route/destination that can easily be done in a weekend?
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

Re: Your favorite weekend/long weekend trips

Catskills NY
    Lake Placid NY
    Renovo PA
    West Virginia

Four day weekends get even better.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

East Ohio, West PA border area

Quote Originally Posted by Wasted View Post
    What is your favorite route/destination that can easily be done in a weekend?
    As a former "pillion", the first thing I would note is that it is actually a lot more uncomfortable to ride for long distances - on the back of a sport or sport/touring bike than in the driver's seat. Now add luggage or camping equipment on the back, and your passenger can end up pretty cramped without the option of squirming and stretching that you have as the rider. Just saying this to recommend that maybe you make your first trip not so long with lots of breaks - and hopefully she will love it.

For weekend, as opposed to long weekend destinations, you might consider Peterborough/Kawartha area - no cross border hassles, Warren, PA is a nice, close destination with some interesting riding (take a ride up to Kinzua dam)and one of the nicest Super 8's I've ever been in, also the Finger Lake area - again nice scenery with some nice riding close enough to ride down for a weekend or long weekend, wine country with lots to do off the bike - or of course you can always run up north, if you feel up to fighting the long weekend traffic.

Thanks for the responses. The roads out to Renovo look amazing but I agree that it'll have to be a bit shorter with lots of breaks to start out with. The last thing that I want to do is put her off riding by over-doing it on the first trip because, like I mentioned, I'd like her to eventually get her own bike. That being said, PA is definitely a goal now!
    Now, a followup question. I use an icon Squad II backpack. It fits all the things that I need for up to a week and I really don't mind the feel, but that's just not going to fly when we both go out. What are my best luggage options? are there any truly passenger friendly saddle bags or am I forced to lighten the backpack load substantially and throw on one of those awful giant tank bags?
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

SW-Motech quick release racks from www.aviciouscycle.ca

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3776/660/

The racks pop off when you get home so you can pose at Timmies. People will walk up and ask "What are those little metal tabs for?" and you can tell him that you can mount up to 82 litres of luggage (waterproof, lockable) luggage for your touring trips.

Ordinarily I'd say that she wears the backpack now, you load up your tankbag and possibly a fender bag. There's no room back there for a canoe bag imho.

Oops, forgot soft luggage saddle bags. I've used Gears, Joe Rocket and Oxford. The Oxford were the best. See if you can borrow a set and have her sit the bike for comfort before you buy them.

You will want to look at standoffs so they won't ruin your paint or melt on the exhaust.
    Last edited by Rotten_Ronnie; 01-12-2012 at 10:31 AM.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

This was my bike for the trip to james bay....

" I don't want a pickle, I'd rather just ride on my motorcycle."

Quote Originally Posted by gwelfmike View Post
    This was my bike for the trip to james bay....

So where does your girlfriend/wife sit when you're all loaded up like that?

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

On the top case??
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

I've always gone with a hard givi top case on every bike that I have owned for the last few years.
    It gives you a removable dry suitcase that can easily be removed and taken into the room at night or left locked to the bike, if you prefer.
    But the best reason for getting one, is that is also acts as a back rest for your pillion. They can relax and you can relax when you both know that they can lean back without needing to hold onto the rider all the time. Makes it much more comfortable, especially if combined with a non-stock seat.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieGirl View Post
    Warren, PA is a nice, close destination with some interesting riding (take a ride up to Kinzua dam)and one of the nicest Super 8's I've ever been in...
    I went that way for my Turkey Ride, then south through to Kane. It was entertaining and fun as well as beautiful.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Wife, she looked at me and said , "Why the H*** would I want to go to James Bay......, "
    , I relplied, "Good idea love..."

ANyway, it was a great trip, but a bit long for a weekend....

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    So where does your girlfriend/wife sit when you're all loaded up like that?

Killarney is a good long trip for a weekend. Hit the great roads in Muskoka.
    Have some of the best fish & chips in Ontario.
    Lots of good places to stay or camp.
    One day up and one day back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Catskills NY
    Lake Placid NY
    Renovo PA
    West Virginia

Four day weekends get even better.
    I say this with great humility as I realize you have much more travel experience than me Rotten Ronnie, but I feel that the only trip listed that qualifies as a comfortable weekend trip is the one to Renovo. The others require 3 or 4 days to take in for maximum enjoyment.
    Last edited by Carmen; 01-12-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    Aurora

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
    I say this with great humility as I realize you have much more travel experience than me Rotten Ronnie, but I feel that the only trip listed that qualifies as a comfortable weekend trip is the one to Renovo. The others require 4 days to take in for maximum enjoyment.

My adventure tends to be riding the roads to and from, the people, the culture and the meals along the way. So Lake Placid is a haul and the Catskills are a three day ride plus if you were taking it easy and exploring the area.

Riding solo I have no issues with 1000km days, but prefer 800km, and 500km if the route is twisty such as the Blue Ridge Parkway or if I'm riding on gavel such as the Trans Labrador Highway. These figures include hotel/motel as opposed to camping. I'm not as fast as some here at packing up my gear as I'm not a morning person. I have posted some rather long rides here, haven't I? :P

I tend to get far too many shots like this... :P

You've got a great point. For my first trip with pillion I'd try for 500km days and really nice stops enroute that give you that "Ah, beautiful!" moment. Shared vistas, good food and a comfortable room at the end of it.

Maybe St. Catharines and the Niagara Pkwy into Niagara-on-the-Lake and then the falls all the way down to the Fort Erie border crossing, Lunch Stateside, then down to Springville NY where you can launch off into the Park or get a room for the night.

Google routed this via the fastest roads, I'd hop off and take secondary roads. There's some lovely Amish country through the middle New York section.

http://g.co/maps/p33pc

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

You could try heading north to Tobermorry, ( Cragies, best fish anywhere) , stay overnight there and take the ferry to south bay mouth, Saturday on the Island then head to Sudbury, then south to home on Sunday, nice little loop trip.

I say go for a shorter ride and smell the roses a bit. I doubt the passenger seat on the FZ6R is the most comfortable place to spend back-to-back 10 hr days.

I'd ride to Algonquin and back. Take some fun roads up (Appleby, Hockley, Terra Nova, Big Chute Road), stay a night around Huntsville or Dwight, ride through the park on Day 2, and either take freeways home or stay a second night and explore fun roads around Bancroft.

So many amazing options. I think I'll have to ease her in with some of the shorter Ontario trips and then maybe take a few days off and do a PA trip as well. With any luck I can convince her to get her own bike by the 2013 season and the longer routes will be more realistic for a 'weekend' trip. SO pumped for spring now....thanks to everyone for the posts and keep 'em coming!!
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

I have dogs so my fav place now is in rockland county harriman state park where me and my wife can trailer the bike friday after work leave the dogs with my cousin and go riding.
    Trailer is one option to skip the boring highway and enjoy the twisties. You can explore further and you dont really need to invest in bags. Your girl will also have the option to drive while you still ride.
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Letchworth state park is a nice day ride that you can do as a weekend ride.
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400