Got Touring Plans for 2012? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got Touring Plans for 2012?

Re: Got Touring Plans for 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by schrader2 View Post
    I am in for the gap in May, would like to explore PA and WV some more this summer. Looking forward to another great riding season.
    Excellent!
    New to me for 2012.

I plan on doing the east coast in July/august(right around lobster season).
    plan on going through Npva scotia(cabot trail)/new brunswick. Going through ontario/quebec. Coming back might decide to go through maine and New york to come back across the border at niagara falls.

Deals Gap area the last week of May.

PA - a couple of weekends, we stay in Galeton, cheap lodging, food, and fuel.
    06-z750s

We'll be doing a vacation ride to Paradise Island (aka: PEI) this summer. We've done the Cabot Trail twice and pretty much all of Nova Scotia already but just can't get enough of the East Coast, so we're spending two weeks on the island to round out the experience.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Deals Gap for a week in May (the week following Victoria Day). Seems half GTAM will be there at the same time. . Going to go through WV for the first time then hit the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way from Buena Vista VA to Asheville NC. A few weekend rides to Pennsylvania are in store for the 2012 season as well.
    "You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime." (Burt Munro)

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieGirl View Post
    Actually the prices sound surprisingly reasonable - compared to some U.S. motorcycle tours I've seen - although of course you still need to get there and I'm not sure what gas prices are running in Europe. Single supplement is not way way outrageous. Nice selection of bikes as well. What are you thinking - about $6,000 all in?
    Yeah I figured on $6,000 including the flight, which is about $1,100 out of Pearson - but I will probably squirrel away an extra 500 Euros for "whatever". Doubt there will be much souveniering though - luggage space at a premium of course. Usually when I go stateside I have enough room to bring back some sort of goodies. I'm concerned about packing my helmet and having airport handlers tossing the suitcase around.

I see a lot of Gappers! That was part of my riding last year, with the BRP, Dragon and Cherry Cola. I will be returning there some day for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Pete5000 View Post
    ...Yeah I figured on $6,000 including the flight, which is about $1,100 out of Pearson - but I will probably I'm concerned about packing my helmet and having airport handlers tossing the suitcase around.
    When I have flown with my helmet I carried it on the cabin.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post

When I have flown with my helmet I carried it on the cabin.

..Tom
    The looks from the other passengers were priceless, I'll bet.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Looking into east coast (not sure about nfld, time permitting) solo or with gf
    pennsylvania for a long day trip or an over night trip with gf (she cant take long days)
    lots of trips to muskoka / alongquin area
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

This is a year of some good driving for me.

I have resigned my position in California, after a brief stop in Toronto we are heading to Poland and Turkey for close to a month. Couldn't find bikes in Turkey so we have rented a car to tour for a week. Should be good none the less.

When we get back at the end of March, I am having my stuff shipped back to Canada while I do a 2 - 3 week journey to get back, probably through Utah, Grand Canyon, my F-I-L's in Colorado and then South Carolina to visit friends. Once I obtain a position for me back in Canada, I will take off again until the beginning of July, when I start. Depending on length of time, probably east coast.

After I start, I then immediately get 1 month off (with pay), which I hope to use to go to Alaska, or park a bike and go visit North Korea instead (no riding there). Only then will I settle into my new church. Relaxed and ready for the next journey in my life.

Nothing big on the bike this year unfortunately, though I do have a fairly long rod trip via car driving my sister back from B.C. Wish I could do it by bike, but as much luggage room as I have, there is just not enough for all her junk.

Will probably take a longer weekend and do Gaspe, and the regular day trips and weekends.

Last edited by Scob; 01-16-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gummiente View Post
    We'll be doing a vacation ride to Paradise Island (aka: PEI) this summer. We've done the Cabot Trail twice and pretty much all of Nova Scotia already but just can't get enough of the East Coast, so we're spending two weeks on the island to round out the experience.
    I am jealous! Love riding PEI. Of course, when I was living in Nova Scotia the Confederation Bridge was just a dream and the only way over to the "Island" was by ferry. What time of year are you considering? We usually head down in late July or August as the weather tends to be better. May and June can be very soggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scob View Post
    I am jealous! Love riding PEI. Of course, when I was living in Nova Scotia the Confederation Bridge was just a dream and the only way over to the "Island" was by ferry. What time of year are you considering? We usually head down in late July or August as the weather tends to be better. May and June can be very soggy.
    My sister lives on the Island, and now both her and her husband own dual sport motorcycles, and my brother got licensed last year on a KLR, so I've worked out an ambitious ride to get to the island. If I visit again this year, it'll be my fifth? time out that way on a bike, but my brothers first, so I factored in the Gaspe, Cabot trail and some other side trips that may have to be tossed out to shorten the riding time and give us more time for a visit.

Google map link to the tentative plan...
    http://tinyurl.com/7hn3den

We're heading out 26 August from the Mosport CSBK Dbl header for a couple of weeks, returning the first week in September, camping and hotel combo.

If you do go out that way, have a look at riding the Kancamagus Highway and Hurricane Moutain Road, they're just a wee detour south from US Route 2, and I added in my favourite stop for BBQ, fantastic food that is smoked on the premises, look for the "Good Food Store" opposite the Exxon? with the Orange trailer in the parking lot.

I highly recommend these two roads...
    http://g.co/maps/5yr65

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Scob View Post
    It'll be either the last two weeks of July or the first two weeks of August. The wife has already bookmarked a few good B&B and motel sites, plus I have a few very good friends from my Ural days that live there and have offered us accommodation as well. This will actually be our second time on the island, we camped there for a few days in '03 on our way back from our first Cabot Trail run. We've always wanted to spend more time there and this summer we'll finally get the chance.

I'm not sure if this can still be done, but when we were there you only had to pay to leave the island, not to get on it. So to save money, we took the ferry over and paid the bridge toll to come back... $12 per bike for the bridge vs $35 per bike for the ferry.
    Last edited by Gummiente; 01-16-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Likely Eastern Canada and a chunk of Eastern USA, as far southwest as Tennessee. I am going to give myself 3 weeks.

Last edited by lucky2; 02-23-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Deals gap in April for the first time Going to be riding the CBR125R, should be fun!
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

that is almost identical to my tenative route down east this summer. minus the detour to NB. looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieboy View Post
    Deals gap in April for the first time Going to be riding the CBR125R, should be fun!
    Are you riding down?
    New to me for 2012.