Renovo Pa Facts

Thread: Renovo Pa Facts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Renovo Pa Facts

It's hard not to notice the poverty in Renovo, quite sad actually. The stretch of 144 between Renovo and Snow Shoe is one of my favorite roads in PA. It seems the only people going through the town are doing so on 2 wheels. I think they could really help out the local economy if they catered to the motorcycle community and had us stay around for a while and spend our money. The location is fantastic but all I've ever done there is buy gas and a bottle of water because there really isn't much else to do. A couple of pubs or restaurants and decent accommodation could be a huge help in such a depressed town.
    "You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime." (Burt Munro)

A family earning 25K a yr is gonna have a tough time getting capital to start pubs and accomodations like hotels or motels...

PA is high living compared to some of the places I have ridden thru in West Virginia
    Last edited by omnivore; 01-10-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    A family earning 25K a yr is gonna have a tough time getting capital to start pubs and accomodations like hotels or motels...

PA is high living compared to some of the places I have ridden thru in West Virginia
    Agreed, poverty is a vicious circle. I'm not a huge proponent of handouts but sometimes a little public money to get things jump started can help. A bit of a push from the Visit PA might help.
    "You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime." (Burt Munro)

Just did a quick check of a couple of West Virgina towns I went through last year (same size as Renovo), and both are better off economically. These towns are Parsons and Marlinton. I think Renovo ranks right up there with any poor town in WV.
    Last edited by Carmen; 01-10-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Aurora

Quote Originally Posted by Gary64 View Post
    It's hard not to notice the poverty in Renovo, quite sad actually. The stretch of 144 between Renovo and Snow Shoe is one of my favorite roads in PA. It seems the only people going through the town are doing so on 2 wheels. I think they could really help out the local economy if they catered to the motorcycle community and had us stay around for a while and spend our money. The location is fantastic but all I've ever done there is buy gas and a bottle of water because there really isn't much else to do. A couple of pubs or restaurants and decent accommodation could be a huge help in such a depressed town.
    The problem is that M/Cs are seasonal not unlike our ski slopes. You have to make a killing during the season to carry the capital costs of building the facilities.
    Motorcyclists aren't a good customer base IMO. They don't shop, buy much stuff, shouldn't drink too much. Tourism income depends on fat people in Cadillacs who pig out and shop and take home trunkfulls of stuff.
    Motorcycles scare some people as well. Read up on the biker weeks at Myrtle Beach and you can understand the concern.