Just got two tickets today... - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got two tickets today...

Re: Just got two tickets today...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Yup. HTA 172 is 'strict liability', because of the possible term of imprisonment, giving you the option of putting forth a defence of due diligence (I had to speed because the banjo-playing rednecks were going to violate me if they caught me).
    It still has to be reasonable rob! lol...
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    It still has to be reasonable rob! lol...
    If I was actually being chased by banjo-playing rednecks then you don't think that would be reasonable? Well, whatever floats yer goat
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Enough with the redneck stereotypes! I play the banjo and I would never violate anyone! Unless they wanted me to... Subconsciously.

1. Hey, what do you call perfect pitch?

Someone throwing an accordian out the window and hitting a banjo player.

2. What will you never over the PA at a Rock Concert-

"Bill, the banjo player, could you move your Porsche, it is blocking the fire route...."

Okay enough now....

Quote Originally Posted by soto View Post
    Enough with the redneck stereotypes! I play the banjo and I would never violate anyone! Unless they wanted me to... Subconsciously.
    " I don't want a pickle, I'd rather just ride on my motorcycle."

Just be careful who you hire if you're going to hire professional help to represent you. When I went to fight a ticket, I watched all 3 or 4 of the hired help paralegals spend all of 10 seconds per case. They're first in line when the action starts and immediately accept a plea bargain for a lesser charge/fine, then they go on their way.

It's as if they have an unspoken agreement with the prosecutor to not waste each other's time. It's a win-win for them; they win in your eyes because they were able to reduce the charge/fine, and they win for themselves with less time wasted.

I'm not saying they all do this, but they all did when I witnessed it.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyflakes View Post
    Just be careful who you hire if you're going to hire professional help to represent you. When I went to fight a ticket, I watched all 3 or 4 of the hired help paralegals spend all of 10 seconds per case. They're first in line when the action starts and immediately accept a plea bargain for a lesser charge/fine, then they go on their way.

It's as if they have an unspoken agreement with the prosecutor to not waste each other's time. It's a win-win for them; they win in your eyes because they were able to reduce the charge/fine, and they win for themselves with less time wasted.

I'm not saying they all do this, but they all did when I witnessed it.
    Actually it's that they've already had first attendance and worked out how each case will be settled. As a result it takes a couple of minutes, per case, once they get to court.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Actually it's that they've already had first attendance and worked out how each case will be settled. As a result it takes a couple of minutes, per case, once they get to court.
    Huh, interesting. Good to know, I'm glad they're not just lazy bums then!

OP, you got bit at York U on Sentinel didn't you?
    2006 Suzuki GS500F

Here's the problem, that you face: You weren't charged for not having insurance, which is what the officer could have done, you were charged with failing to surrender proof of insurance (the 'slip'). This is pretty much a slam-dunk for the prosecution, as you did in fact fail to surrender the slip. The dropping of that ticket, once you show the slip to the prosecution, is purely at his discretion.
    Isn't a charge like that a strict liability offense? What if you were riding your bike with your insurance card in your seat and it fell out by the battery box or something? Would that be enough to get you off the hook?
    Bikes:
    2009 EX250 SE - sold
    2003 ZX7R P8
    1992 ZX7/ZXR750 J2 (rebuilding)
    1996 ZX7 N1

Follow the progress of the ZX7 J2 build on my blog

you think that putting your insurance slip in a place that can just fall out meets the definition of due diligence?

good luck with that.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

What would be a reasonable example of due diligence for an insurance card?
    Bikes:
    2009 EX250 SE - sold
    2003 ZX7R P8
    1992 ZX7/ZXR750 J2 (rebuilding)
    1996 ZX7 N1

Follow the progress of the ZX7 J2 build on my blog

doesn't really matter because its not strict liability.

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    Isn't a charge like that a strict liability offense? What if you were riding your bike with your insurance card in your seat and it fell out by the battery box or something? Would that be enough to get you off the hook?
    It's absolute liability. If you don't have it, you're guilty. The reason is immaterial.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    And how is it that you know that? You did not get charged with driving without insurance, you got a fine for failure to surrender proof of insurance. Providing proof of insurance to the court does nothing to change the fact that you were unable to provide proof (valid) insurance when you were pulled over.

I've received two tickets like that. Both times I was given a 48hr TTP and both tickets were thrown out. I have to wonder why the cop didn't give you that. Were you being a dick?
    They dont give that 48 hour to prove option no more. I got the sane ticket and the insurance premium went up.

I can tell you that insurance companies take failure to show prrif and driving no insurance and failure to pay you insurance premium VERY serious. Its worse then traffic infractions

I got 2 warnings for not paying premium cause i was out if town and then my insurance was suspended and no one would insure me after

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    OP, you got bit at York U on Sentinel didn't you?

The Pond Road, where that curve right after the street lights are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushii View Post
    Hehe ... I remember when I was going there, it was set up a little differently (more of a curve / didn't have to stop). I haven't been by in a while, so I can't remember what changed exactly. I just remember looking forward to riding on and off the campus.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

wow its been a long time I used to live right near there. didn't know they set up traps on pond ...

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    wow its been a long time I used to live right near there. didn't know they set up traps on pond ...
    Cops have been slapping people w/ speeding tickets all around York lately. It seems like they've "upped" patrolling around there

I had one of those failed to turn over ownership tickets and a speeding ticket. I just showed up and took the plea bargain: dropped the ownership ticket and got the speeding ticket fine reduced significantly and bumped down one level lower.
    2007 Solar Yellow EX500

Quote Originally Posted by Sushii View Post
    Should have been obvious imo.

There have been cops all over the place in York since those idiots dropped that crane.