Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got two tickets today...

Banned

Re: Just got two tickets today...

Quote Originally Posted by Sushii View Post
    So how do i find out where a cop lives?
    Follow one home from the station.

I'm debating whether i should hire professional help or not as this will be my FIRST minor conviction and will probably get me thrown out of the "Goodies" group from state farms...
    It's called pay for play.

Speaking strictly about the insurance slip charge, you don't even have to make it to court - request a first attendance. When you meet the prosecutor, show them the updated slip. They will most likely drop it then and there, though they are not obligated to.

Also - do NOT argue with them. I've watched people do this first hand, and the prosecutors do NOT take well to it. This part really should be common sense.

Regarding your insurance, you get one chance with State Farm - you can have their good rate with one and only one speeding ticket. Get two, and you're surcharged. Get three, and they drop you as soon as they notice.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Sushii, I would strongly recommend that you remove the first sentence from post# 20
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Speaking strictly about the insurance slip charge, you don't even have to make it to court - request a first attendance. When you meet the prosecutor, show them the updated slip. They will most likely drop it then and there, though they are not obligated to.

Also - do NOT argue with them. I've watched people do this first hand, and the prosecutors do NOT take well to it. This part really should be common sense.

Regarding your insurance, you get one chance with State Farm - you can have their good rate with one and only one speeding ticket. Get two, and you're surcharged. Get three, and they drop you as soon as they notice.
    I already filed to appear in court for the tickets. I have to go either way so it makes no difference to me. I just hope its on the same day and time.

From my research, State Farm was one of the companies that was very up tight about convictions. But the posts i read were a few years old, they might have changed their policy. I guess the only way for me to find out is to call an agent anonymously.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Sushii, I would strongly recommend that you remove the first sentence from post# 20
    Sorry, i meant it only as a joke.

Sorry, i meant it only as a joke.
    It's no skin off my nose. I made the recommendation for YOUR benefit.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

hire redline, they're the only professional help I would recommend.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    hire redline, they're the only professional help I would recommend.
    Yep, i'll be using them if i do decide to hire professional help. Need to confirm if it will increase my premiums first.

Yep, i'll be using them if i do decide to hire professional help. Need to confirm if it will increase my premiums first.

call a state farm agent and ask what if questions, do not admit you are currently a member...
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    call a state farm agent and ask what if questions, do not admit you are currently a member...

Yep doing that first thing tomorrow morning.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Redline charges a tidy sum.
    Worth it, but tidy nevertheless.
    I don't like to play that game anymore, after the first time.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

I think the tickets will affect ur premium on both car and bike as in which it did to mine. As long as u get convicted in court, it will go under your insurance record, no matter how much the fine or demerit points they reduce for you. if you get convicted for any tickets it will go on your record.

I got 2 tickets under my belt, 1 is turning contrary to sign, and the other one is some other minor traffic violation. I went to court for both, got the fines reduced by pleaing guilty to minor charge.
    3rd bike (current) - '06 kawasaki zx-636 blk/gld
    2nd bike - '08 kawasaki ninja 250 red
    1st bike - '92 kawasaki ex500 blue/white (dead)

Im with statefarm i have had 3 speeding tickets while with them, all off my record now. They never found out about any of them, my rates never increased. Maybe you will get lucky also lol
    2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Current
    2004 Suzuki GS500F - Sold

I had almost the exact same tickets, except I wasn't in a school zone (23 over in a 60). First tickets and I paid a professional to take care of it for me, no time off work and ended up with no ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by dricked View Post
    I had almost the exact same tickets, except I wasn't in a school zone (23 over in a 60). First tickets and I paid a professional to take care of it for me, no time off work and ended up with no ticket.
    Did you have a good reason for speeding or was there an error on the ticket? I had no excuse for speeding other then being late for class and no errors on the ticket.

Did you have a good reason for speeding or was there an error on the ticket? I had no excuse for speeding other then being late for class and no errors on the ticket.
    An 'excuse' is also known as 'guilty with an explanation.' The key word in that sentence is *guilty*.

Other than the idiot infront of me doing 10 under, no. There was no talking, she took my liscence, expired insurance, ownership and brought back my tickets with no errors.

There are NO excuses in HTA offences (Generally). They are what are known as "absolute liability" offences (HTA 172 is an exception), which means that the Crown has to prove ONLY the action of committing the crime (Actus reus).

The Crown does NOT have to prove any element of culpability (mens rea). Therefore, defences of due diligence /I didn't mean to / my mom died / marauders were chasing me / my gf is chasing me are all USELESS.

the ONLY defense against a absolute liability offence is one of voluntariness, because that actually attacks actus reus.
    Therefore, defenses such as ( a bee stung me and it make me swerve ), I had an allergic reaction, or i had a heart attack, or something like that.. That would work.

Hope that helps.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Just plain old regular speeding (i.e. less than 50km/h over the limit) is an absolute liability offense? Can anyone else confirm that?
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Just plain old regular speeding (i.e. less than 50km/h over the limit) is an absolute liability offense? Can anyone else confirm that?
    If it doesn't have the possibility of Jail time, absolute liability.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Yup. HTA 172 is 'strict liability', because of the possible term of imprisonment, giving you the option of putting forth a defence of due diligence (I had to speed because the banjo-playing rednecks were going to violate me if they caught me).