Just got two tickets today...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got two tickets today...

Just got two tickets today...

So as you know, today is the first day of school for the second semester.

I got a 62 in a 40 zone speeding ticket along with a no insurance slip ticket.

I have insurance on the car. I just didnt know the slip expired in December 2011.

So whats the best case scenario for me? Will the 22 over affect my insurance for my motorcycle or just car or both?

Will the no insurance slip affect my premiums? Is it treated as a minor conviction or is it just a fine?

Thanks.

Re: Just got two tickets today...

Ofcourse it effects both

After some research, i found that "Failure to surrender insurance slip" will affect premiums depending on your insurer. I guess i will just go down to the court house and fight both of these. I know the insurance one will easily get thrown out when i show them my insurance slip but i dont know what to do with the speeding ticket.

Now i've never ever fought a ticket before as these are my first and second (****** day eh?...)

Do i just setup a date, go to it and just ask the crown to lower the ticket? and if the cop doesn't show up, is it automatically thrown out?

Thanks...

You should probably try to prepare some sort of defense if you're going to take it to court. You may be disappointed if you just show up expecting your ticket to be lowered for free. However, in my limited experience, the prosecutor did give an opportunity for anyone in the courthouse to settle for a lower fine/charge before any proceeding actually started.

I don't have a lot of experience in fighting tickets but I do work in insurance and what I can tell you is that having a ticket lowered to say 10 over for a lower fine and no points doesn't make a damn bit of difference on your premiums. It has to be 100% thrown out for it not to affect you. You can have a ticket for 3km/h over or 49km/h over and it will affect you premiums by exactly the same amount (50+km/h over is 172 and a different ball game all together).
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Sushii View Post
    After some research, i found that "Failure to surrender insurance slip" will affect premiums depending on your insurer. I guess i will just go down to the court house and fight both of these. I know the insurance one will easily get thrown out when i show them my insurance slip but i dont know what to do with the speeding ticket.

Now i've never ever fought a ticket before as these are my first and second (****** day eh?...)

Do i just setup a date, go to it and just ask the crown to lower the ticket? and if the cop doesn't show up, is it automatically thrown out?

Thanks...
    And how is it that you know that? You did not get charged with driving without insurance, you got a fine for failure to surrender proof of insurance. Providing proof of insurance to the court does nothing to change the fact that you were unable to provide proof (valid) insurance when you were pulled over.

I've received two tickets like that. Both times I was given a 48hr TTP and both tickets were thrown out. I have to wonder why the cop didn't give you that. Were you being a dick?

There is no point reinventing the wheel every time. read the HTA forum then ask further questions.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

I think they stopped giving you that option. I had the same ticket a year or so ago and wasn't givin a time frame to show up with a valid slip, I wasn't being a dick either.

Thanks...
    Here's the problem, that you face: You weren't charged for not having insurance, which is what the officer could have done, you were charged with failing to surrender proof of insurance (the 'slip'). This is pretty much a slam-dunk for the prosecution, as you did in fact fail to surrender the slip. The dropping of that ticket, once you show the slip to the prosecution, is purely at his discretion.

You need to review the sticky post, on fighting your ticket. You need to set up a first attendance, in order to try and have them withdraw the insurance slip ticket. You also need to obtain disclosure and formulate a strategy, to fight the ticket. Don't go there just hoping that the officer doesn't show up. If you're willing to take the hit you might be able to have the insurance ticket dropped, then plead guilty to the speed. Ultimately, though, you want to try and beat them both. That takes a plan.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    And how is it that you know that? You did not get charged with driving without insurance, you got a fine for failure to surrender proof of insurance. Providing proof of insurance to the court does nothing to change the fact that you were unable to provide proof (valid) insurance when you were pulled over.

I've received two tickets like that. Both times I was given a 48hr TTP and both tickets were thrown out. I have to wonder why the cop didn't give you that. Were you being a dick?
    I got pulled over a while back and received the same ticket. The insurance slip was actually valid but the guy didn't bother taking out of the little plastic wallet that you get from insurance companies.
    He told me straight up, show up at court with a valid slip and it will get thrown out. He seemed sincere.
    Mina

Always fight a ticket. first thing is make an appointment to speak to the prosecution ( I think it's called a first attendance meeting) and see what deal they can offer, if it's a good one take it, if not ask for a continuance as many times as you can get one, once you have to go to court and if enough time has lapsed and officer does not show up, case is dismissed, worse case scenario you pay the tickets as you got them.

Typically if there are points attached to a ticket, those don't go away, prosecutors can't do anything about them, but they can lower the fines, so it will cost you less, if no points to begin with, then fines will be dropped and you will save money again. Only time a case is dismissed is if the copper don't show up.

If it's a young cop, prolong the time for trial, typically they get transferred to another division, or another town/city etc and won't bother going to court on a 1 or 2 year old ticket, but if it's an older cop and a rural area, he will show up, as he is going no where, and or if it was a Traffic copper, as this is all they do.

Just remember always fight a ticket, it can't get worse
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    1983 Suzuki GS750E - Rebuild Project

OP - It mite be to your benefit to delay the process as much as possible as you may turn 25 (?) in the near future.

Something to consider..

Good luck.

Take your slip into the police station the cop is from they sometimes will drop the insurance ticket if you do this. You are SOL on the speeding one pay it if its your first or call redline and get your parents to pay for them.

If they tell you to go to the station and show proof then sometimes they will drop it (if the ticket hasn't been filed). Otherwise you are just being a bother.

Your big issue is the speeding ticket as it IS a moving violation. Don't assume the insurance ticket will be dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
    you are sol on the speeding one pay it if its your first or call redline and get your parents to pay for them.
    :d:d:d
    New to me for 2012.

The cop told me that "i can just show up in court with the updated insurance slip and it will be dropped". Word for word.

So even if the cop doesn't show up, it will still be on my record because it has dermit points attached?

The cop told me that "i can just show up in court with the updated insurance slip and it will be dropped". Word for word.

So even if the cop doesn't show up, it will still be on my record because it has dermit points attached?
    That's what they generally do. Show up at court, find the cop and/or prosecutor, show your slip and they'll drop it. These things are just routine bureaucratic displays to keep people employed. Don't be afraid and don't try to be all bad-***.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

If the cop doesn't show up, you win both without a trial. Best possible situation for you. In the past, showing your slip was good enough to get failure to produce dropped, not sure if this has changed (my wife is fighting that one tomorrow). With two tickets, in cases I have seen they normally try to get you to take a plea on one ticket while dropping the other. Good luck.

This is what i did exactly and that is exactly what happened. I showed my slip and the ticket was cancelled er rather they "will not be proceeding with this matter"

It helped that no ahead of me during the pretrial meet and greet with the prosecution show up with any paperwork....most of them were cabbies that just said "I didn't speed" or "It wasn't me" blah

I'm debating whether i should hire professional help or not as this will be my FIRST minor conviction and will probably get me thrown out of the "Goodies" group from state farms...
    Last edited by Sushii; 01-09-2012 at 06:40 PM.