front fender and turn signals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: front fender and turn signals

front fender and turn signals

So, I've read on a few kijiji ads that turn signals aren't required by law on bikes in ontario...is this true? I've also read the same thing about front fenders, just some info I'd like to know just because I've damaged my signals and front fender and I'd rather just get rid of'm instead of replace'm, thanks!

Re: front fender and turn signals

Regardless of the legality, I would not suggest riding without signals on either the front or back. Making your intentions known to other motorists around you may make the difference between going home or going to the hospital. Signals are cheap, have a look at aftermarket signals on ebay.
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpack View Post
    So, I've read on a few kijiji ads that turn signals aren't required by law on bikes in ontario...is this true? I've also read the same thing about front fenders, just some info I'd like to know just because I've damaged my signals and front fender and I'd rather just get rid of'm instead of replace'm, thanks!

Front fender? If you have none you're just damaging your bike... plus it looks stupid.

Signal lights? I'm not sure if you LEGALLY need them but but it's a good idea... The HTA says you don't need them in one section and says you need them in another section.

Signalling devices required on trucks, buses, etc.
    (29) Every motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicle and trailer having a width at any part in excess of 2.05 metres or having a length in excess of 6.1 metres shall be equipped with mechanical or electrical signalling devices that comply with subsections 142 (6) and (. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (29).

Mode of signalling turn
    (3) The signal required in subsections (1) and (2)shall be given either by means of the hand and arm in the manner herein specified or by a mechanical or electrical signal device as described in subsection (6). R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (3).

Requirements for signalling device

(6) A mechanical or electrical signal device shall clearly indicate the intention to turn, shall be visible and understandable during day-time and night-time from the front and from the rear of the vehicle for a distance of 30 metres, and shall be self-illuminated when used at any time from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142 (6).
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

I guess I better just replace'm

You are not required to have signals. If you do then they must be in good repair and meet visibility requirements. It's not a good idea to go without them, though, as they provide better visibility and you would be required to hand signal all moves, without them, to people who probably no longer have any idea what the hand signals mean.

As to fenders....

Mudguards
    (3) Every motor vehicle and every trailer shall be equipped with mudguards or fenders or other device adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear thereof, unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the motor vehicle or trailer or by a trailer drawn by the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (3).

Translation: You require fenders.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

only 10 posts...so your new, right? i guess you haven't riden in the rain at 60mph with out a front fender? you can't see a darn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    You are not required to have signals. If you do then they must be in good repair and meet visibility requirements. It's not a good idea to go without them, though, as they provide better visibility and you would be required to hand signal all moves, without them, to people who probably no longer have any idea what the hand signals mean.

As to fenders....

Mudguards
    (3) Every motor vehicle and every trailer shall be equipped with mudguards or fenders or other device adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear thereof, unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the motor vehicle or trailer or by a trailer drawn by the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (3).

Translation: You require fenders.

I'm pretty sure you can argue that the engine (the whole bike) will " reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear " We are talking about the front fender here... not the rear!

For signal lights, 62(29) says you don't while 142(6) says you do....

All the cop will do is charge you under 142(6) and say "fight it in court"
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can argue that the engine (the whole bike) will " reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear " We are talking about the front fender here... not the rear!

For signal lights, 62(29) says you don't while 142(6) says you do....

All the cop will do is charge you under 142(6) and say "fight it in court"
    Based on what I've seen from people messing around on bikes without front fenders, you're wrong.

And your arm is a "mechanical signalling device." Read further in 142, or look up at section (4).
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 01-09-2012 at 10:19 PM.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Thanx for the info guys! Really appreciate it, I'm just gonna go ahead and replace'm to avoid the "controversy", been achin to put a chrome fender on anyways
    BLAAAOOOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Based on what I've seen from people messing around on bikes without front fenders, you're wrong.

And your arm is a "mechanical signalling device." Read further in 142, or look up at section (4).
    I don't care if you think I'm wrong or not I'm saying from the letter of the law you don't need a fender in the front because the body of the bike prevents wheel spray to the rear. It's like 90% of cars out there. They don't have "mud flaps"... they have the body of the car preventing wheel spray.

As for your arm being a "mechanical signaling devise", unless your a T-800 then your arm is not mechanical.

"shall be given either by means of the hand and arm in the manner herein specified or by a mechanical or electrical signal device"

So I guess you don't need signal lights (technically) but your arm is not a mechanical device.

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    I don't care if you think I'm wrong or not I'm saying from the letter of the law you don't need a fender in the front because the body of the bike prevents wheel spray to the rear. It's like 90% of cars out there. They don't have "mud flaps"... they have the body of the car preventing wheel spray.

As for your arm being a "mechanical signaling devise", unless your a T-800 then your arm is not mechanical.

"shall be given either by means of the hand and arm in the manner herein specified or by a mechanical or electrical signal device"

So I guess you don't need signal lights (technically) but your arm is not a mechanical device.
    In the case of a car, the body is designed to provide protection from spray. This is not the case, where a motorcycle is concerned. Ever know anyone who has built a custom motorcycle or chopper? They won't certify, without a front fender.

You may well be right there, but the fact remains that an arm is a valid signalling device, as stated.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 01-10-2012 at 07:22 AM.

I think the spray from the front wheels would easily go over the bike and rider... and behind, without a front fender..
    I guess that makes the fender eliminator kits illegal? interesting. Thats something I never looked into.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Any modifications that you do from stock you do at significant risk of attracting police attention and perhaps being ticketed, whether rightly or wrongly.

As far as fender eliminators, I think most would not be legal.

Most of the time people that have done mods that aren't legal benefit from the generally poor enforcement of these requirements. It's like tinted windows on cars, there are a great many that do not meet the restrictions of the HTA but the drivers have not been hassled over, That doesn't make them legal though.

There are some things I'll modify on my bike without worrying about police interference but some things I won't. An example is the license plate location. If you screw with that there's a pretty good chance that at some point you'll be having a chat with a cop about it. I'd rather avoid that myself.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I think the spray from the front wheels would easily go over the bike and rider... and behind, without a front fender..
    I guess that makes the fender eliminator kits illegal? interesting. Thats something I never looked into.
    As you require a 'mudguard' on a motorcycle, 'eliminating' the 'fender' is indeed illegal. It's generally in the, "Do you want fries with that" range of laws for how it's applied though

Agreed. I was looking some fender eliminators and lots of them have the plate wedged underneath the tail, too obviously not stock and definately visibility impaired.

Just asking for trouble.

There are/were definately a few things on my bike that would have gotten me in trouble if a cop actually wanted to. But I have been pretty lucky.

Not so lucky with cars hitting me but with cops yeah.
    Last edited by OpenGambit; 01-10-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

The topic of fender eliminators has come up here a few times before. I've explained the common issues with them, too:

- License plate placement, if not at the very rear of the bike
    - License plate lighting (frequently nonexistent, otherwise too dim or wrong colour - has to be white and only the light reflected off the plate to the rear is allowed, not direct view of the bulb itself)
    - Turn signal separation - required by CMVSS 108 to be 220mm / 9" apart - most are non-conforming
    - Turn signal brightness - most of them are totally inadequate
    - Mud flap issue described above
    - No red reflector to the rear and sides required by CMVSS 108

I prefer to leave this stuff all stock, or at least maintain as much of the original function as possible.

Thats helpful thanks.

Now I know what to look for

Not only that, you can be charged with failure to signal.
    Are you going to raise your hand while making a right hand turn on a red?
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER
    Look for a glowing white bike

Quote Originally Posted by LannyNguyen View Post
    Not only that, you can be charged with failure to signal.
    Are you going to raise your hand while making a right hand turn on a red?
    You don't have to maintain the signal throughout the turn. You merely have to clearly signal your intent.

I know this is stupid but the main reason I want to get rid of my signals is to turn it off I have to slide the button the opposite direction, often causing me to signal that way with no intention...guess I just better get used to it
    BLAAAOOOW!