front fender and turn signals

Thread: front fender and turn signals

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: front fender and turn signals

Any modifications that you do from stock you do at significant risk of attracting police attention and perhaps being ticketed, whether rightly or wrongly.

As far as fender eliminators, I think most would not be legal.

Most of the time people that have done mods that aren't legal benefit from the generally poor enforcement of these requirements. It's like tinted windows on cars, there are a great many that do not meet the restrictions of the HTA but the drivers have not been hassled over, That doesn't make them legal though.

There are some things I'll modify on my bike without worrying about police interference but some things I won't. An example is the license plate location. If you screw with that there's a pretty good chance that at some point you'll be having a chat with a cop about it. I'd rather avoid that myself.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Agreed. I was looking some fender eliminators and lots of them have the plate wedged underneath the tail, too obviously not stock and definately visibility impaired.

Just asking for trouble.

There are/were definately a few things on my bike that would have gotten me in trouble if a cop actually wanted to. But I have been pretty lucky.

Not so lucky with cars hitting me but with cops yeah.
    Last edited by OpenGambit; 01-10-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

The topic of fender eliminators has come up here a few times before. I've explained the common issues with them, too:

- License plate placement, if not at the very rear of the bike
    - License plate lighting (frequently nonexistent, otherwise too dim or wrong colour - has to be white and only the light reflected off the plate to the rear is allowed, not direct view of the bulb itself)
    - Turn signal separation - required by CMVSS 108 to be 220mm / 9" apart - most are non-conforming
    - Turn signal brightness - most of them are totally inadequate
    - Mud flap issue described above
    - No red reflector to the rear and sides required by CMVSS 108

I prefer to leave this stuff all stock, or at least maintain as much of the original function as possible.

Thats helpful thanks.

Now I know what to look for
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Not only that, you can be charged with failure to signal.
    Are you going to raise your hand while making a right hand turn on a red?
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER
    Look for a glowing white bike

Quote Originally Posted by LannyNguyen View Post
    Not only that, you can be charged with failure to signal.
    Are you going to raise your hand while making a right hand turn on a red?
    You don't have to maintain the signal throughout the turn. You merely have to clearly signal your intent.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I know this is stupid but the main reason I want to get rid of my signals is to turn it off I have to slide the button the opposite direction, often causing me to signal that way with no intention...guess I just better get used to it
    BLAAAOOOW!