Frame Repair

Thread: Frame Repair

Frame Repair

Hello All.....

Lookiing for a local place to get my frame fixed up, previous owner hit something and put a nice big ding in the tube, frame is still straight and no other bends or kinks.

Anyone local to the Mississauga area ? or something relatively close

here is a picture of the frame and the ding...

I will also need 2 holes filled by a welder, one is on the head, where the exhaust is bolted to, bolt broke, and had to drill it out, hole is now over sized and needs to be filled in, drilled and tapped (that I can do if need be) and one is where the oil cover is again one of the bolts broke, and was drilled out, leaving a bigger hole, engine is out of frame, and can be brought to who ever can do this.

I have pics of this as well, but can post or supply, I figure everyone knows what an over sized hole looks like

This is on a project bike I am working , a 1983 Suzuki GS750E, can be found here - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=184389

I hope a hot link is allowed, if not let me know I will kill the link

Any and all leads are greatly appreciated

Thanks

Re: Frame Repair

Aaron at weirtech in Burlington maybe? That bottom ding is ugly, I would think about welding plates over the top tor strengthen it instead of cutting out the section and replacing. Are you going for looks or function here?

Function first and foremost, looks are secondary....

Yes I would like a plate to be fabricated to go over the ding, and welded up, I would not want the frame cut, and then a piece added in to replace, that I think will weaken the frame.

I also thought of fabricating the same type of plate for the other side to make it look equal as well, I can then at least get the looks some what....
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    1983 Suzuki GS750E - Rebuild Project

is the rest of the chassie all straight? do you know?

Yes, had measurements taken from a good frame, and from all the points we measured, the same were on my frame. If it was not, I would look at getting a new frame, only reason I did not want to go that route is I have to register the bike again, safety it and so on.....a real pain...

I have made some progress, I found a place that is going to do the welding, it's my brothers machine shop, we don't get along right now, but my dad stepped in and said he would get it done for me....

Going to hope for the best
    Last edited by GateKeeper; 01-09-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Vangro Welding
    726 Dundas St E
    Mississauga
    At Cawthra, across from St Paul's church. Talk to Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    Vangro Welding
    726 Dundas St E
    Mississauga
    Thanks, I know exactly where this is......I thought they burned down a while back, I guess they have reopened
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    Vangro Welding
    726 Dundas St E
    Mississauga
    Got the frame welded, and the stripped holes in the head at the exhaust, and one on the side where the oil cover is at....

Thanks for the tip,,,,,I have driven by these guys for the past 20 years, why I never thought of them,,,,is beyond me....

Guys if you need welding done, this is a good place to go to......
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

That frame appears to be made of steel. Any welding shop should be able to do it, no?
    Resident Loudmouth

Thx for posting the review. Do you have pics of the repair?

Rocker, in theory I would agree with you, but I know more than 1 welder that was cocky well beyond their skill level. I would not want them ever touching my frame.

a few pics of the frame, not pretty, and not ground down yet, but the welds are good and strong, no damage to frame, it's still in spec, and I don't have to worry about it collapsing on me, once it's primed and painted, it will not be very noticeable, good thing it's all the way on the bottom.....

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Looks good
    Resident Loudmouth

You wouldn't be interested in a spare motor by any chance? I have one out of that exact bike decorating my shed. It's of no use to me, but I would like to see it go to someone who could use it.You can have it dirt cheep, ran A1 when I took it out. I also have various other left overs from that bike, shock, maybe some signals? I will only look if you are interested. PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by alcutter View Post
    You wouldn't be interested in a spare motor by any chance? I have one out of that exact bike decorating my shed. It's of no use to me, but I would like to see it go to someone who could use it.You can have it dirt cheep, ran A1 when I took it out. I also have various other left overs from that bike, shock, maybe some signals? I will only look if you are interested. PM if interested.
    PM sent....
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
    a few pics of the frame, not pretty, and not ground down yet, but the welds are good and strong, no damage to frame, it's still in spec, and I don't have to worry about it collapsing on me, once it's primed and painted, it will not be very noticeable, good thing it's all the way on the bottom.....

Looks great, but what do you mean by "it's still in spec"? what spec?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorsythe
    i hate to say this but i never said i was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by mike.from.canmore View Post
    Looks great, but what do you mean by "it's still in spec"? what spec?

Frame is not bent, the portion I had covered and fixed was because the PO had hit something, and hit it hard to make a divot in the frame, but the frame did not bend, did not shift, still straight, measurements taken from outer frame rail to outer frame rail are the same as on a frame that has had no damage, sometimes even welding will pull a frame one way or another, if enough heat is applied.

In other words the frame is still square, and as it was the day it was made.
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250