Route planning for dummies...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Route planning for dummies...

Route planning for dummies...

Hi folks! Happy new year

I have a wedding in early October in Minnesota, the bride (my friend) has requested the presence of baby b (my bike), oh an me :P

I'm just wondering if anyone has hints and tips for trekking across the USA. It'll be myself on my 250 ninja and Tek on his wee strom (he'll be hauling most of the gear [wether he likes it or not]).

Is there any way you fine folks figure out rest stops? I've done a google maps route, and it's at least a 1.5k ride (with no diversions onto twisties... yet). Roughly how many days should I be giving myself to ride it? I was thinking 3 would be the shortest?? (thoughts?)

Also if anyone had experience in that neck of the woods are there any known fun roads to hit?

Re: Route planning for dummies...

My Wee-Strom carried me from North Dakota (just west of Minnesota) to Toronto in two days, each about 1000 kilometers. This ride used mostly US-2, which is a fine highway across Minnesota and Wisconsin and Michigan to St. Ignace MI at the north end of the Mackinac bridge. I used mostly I-75 in Michigan and 402 and 401 in Ontario, because I was more interested in reaching Toronto than in seeing Michigan or Ontario, which I see plenty of in any event.

US-2 I recommend. 401 and 402 and I-75 I do not. I agree you should plan to take 3 days to cover that distance. On the way back home, consider going north of Superior, and/or going through Manitoulin Island and taking the ferry to Tobermory, then 6 down the Bruce peninsula and 10 back to the vicinity of Toronto.

Enjoy your ride. Both the bikes will be ideal for that run, but the rider on the 250 will feel more tired than the rider on the 650, because size generally matters, and in this circumstance, it pretty much does.

P.S. One thing about the border with Michigan. Detroit is much more trouble than Port Huron. Bikes cannot use the tunnel, and the bridge is poorly run, so every possible hassle is more likely and more of a nuisance. Cross at Sarnia instead.
    Last edited by Salos Dafee; 01-07-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: thumbs down on Ambassador Bridge!
    "Stay at least one standard deviation away from everybody else."

I just did Toronto to Minneapolis in the car TWICE recently. One by myself with a car and bike on the trailer and one with the wife and kids and dog.... anyway.

1 - Ride during daylight hours. The number of dead deer was out of control all the way from MI to MN and beyond... ya I had to keep going.... way further west.

2 - When I was doing it by myself in a car (but trailering), I was stopping every 300-400 kilometers and it took me about 14 hours to get to Minneapolis. Also remember you gain 1 hour on the way there (time zone). I did it in one shot and stayed in Minneapolis for the night.

3 - Second time I went we had to stay in Eau Claire, WI. We stayed at an Econo Lodge near the interstate. I forget how long it took us with the kids, but obviously it took longer. That Econo Lodge was excellent and very cheap... and there is a great Festival (I think that's what it is called) grocery store that is a 3 minute drive from the Econo Lodge.

4 - I find the biggest time waster is stopping for anything.... especially food. If you can cut down your food stop times, then things move a lot quicker.

5 - Chicago - Avoid rush hour, it is almost like Toronto. Also see the difference between taking the toll road through Chicago vs no toll, there may not be much difference in travel time. You have to stop A LOT for the toll booths. FYI, you're about 7-8 hours of riding (not including stops) from Chicago. You can use that as a benchmark... but I wouldn't stop overnight in Chicago and leave my bikes outside the hotel.... btw Garry Indiana is worse... so if you want to stop around Chicago, keep going PAST IT!

6 - Moon Cycle or Moon something or other looks like a nice dealership on the side of the highway in the Minneapolis area, but I never got the chance to check it out.

Edit -> come to think of it, my friend's daughter is getting married in Minneapolis and the whole family rides (they live in Minneapolis too). The bride wouldn't have had a Bandit 600 that she got into a bit of an oopsy with does she? That would be a crazy coincidence.
    Last edited by Metastable; 01-07-2012 at 11:08 PM.

I don't have any advice on route planning but I wanted to mention that there is also a ferry across the St Clair river between Sombra, ON and Marine City, MI. $3 for motorcycles. It's a little out of the way but you will avoid boring sections of the 401 or 402 (although in that part of the province almost all roads are flat and straight).
    Last edited by dmartins; 01-08-2012 at 08:56 AM.

No, my friend doesn't have a bike... She has a plane instead =P
    Thanks for the info! I'll have to take a better look into everything!

800km days are a good target, and around 500km if it's tight mountain twisties all the way.

Your rest stops will be the bike with the shortest fuel tank range.

One trick I use for route planning is to toggle google maps into "terrain" mode and look for mountains, hills and rivers to traverse and follow.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

1000km days are doable but you'll be pretty useless at the end of the day... went out west for a wedding last summer, 3 days to do 3200km and i was so tired at the end of the day i would pitch a tent and crawl into bed
    x

Rest stops will probably be your gas stops. Start looking for gas when the tank of the thirstiest bike is just over 1/2 empty (running out of gas is not good!). If you stop for food or lodging fill-up!

Without knowing what time you start each day and how long you can physically go, start with a modest plan of 500K each day. Go back to Google plan your complete route (i.e. With Highways / Avoid Highways) then see where 500K will take you and see where the nearest Town / City is. Google it to see if it has Motels, Hotels, Campgrounds to your liking, the place may not have any so you'll have to go to next town. Once you have settled on your first overnight then see where the next 500K will take you and look for lodging etc. Based on your distance calculation you should plan 3 days riding.

I regularly do 4-6 week trips and this is the way I have found works best for me. I also travel with a GPS which is good for finding gas and lodging and also a Netbook computer with WIFI so I can make adjustments to my plans.

p.s. Agree with previous comments about going through Sarnia / Port Huron and also trying to avoid the Toll Highways in Chicago they are a real pain!

Here is my Toronto-to-Chicago route in June 2006:
    Cross Yonge Street on Steeles Avenue at noon Sunday.
    Steeles to 400 to 401, then exit onto Hwy 2 east of Woodstock.
    My kickstand was up for just over 90 miles. That became my standard.
    Secondary roads to London and half way to Sarnia, then 402.
    Supper in Port Huron. I-69, I-89, I-94 across Michigan.
    I managed 150 miles without a break. I do not recommend such a stretch.
    I-94 to Gary Indiana, then I-80 westward. Set watch back 1 hour,
    and pass Chicago between 12:20 AM and 1:00 AM Monday.
    I was pooped, but I managed 564 miles (910 Km.) then tented at a rest area.
    I do not know if tenting is allowed in Illinois rest areas, but some places it isn't.

I was 64 years old then, and rode a DL-650, which is still my main ride.
    I managed 564 miles for each of the first four days, then 495, then 490.
    I suggest you take a practice ride or two or three to estimate your endurance
    and to evaluate and hone your loading skills and your camping gear (if you camp).
    "Stay at least one standard deviation away from everybody else."

Thanks for all the hints, tips and route ideas!
    I'm def looking into US2 now and on the homeward stretch going though Salut St Marie.

Gonna have to do a few Ottawa runs and other longer distances to get myself used to a long day's ride.

I personally like to leave really early, 5:30 ish. You can avoid some traffic and make some good distance before people start crowding the roads. I find riding a full 1000km day is much easier and enjoyable when I know I can stop at 3 pm or so for the day and have covered great ground. Gives lots of time to just relax, re-coop and be ready for the next day.

If you haven't done long days before, 1000km in a day will really hurt. I do 12-1300 km days regularly, but it takes time to work up to it. I'm sore after the first 600km day of the season.

Depending on when in October, the weather can be unpredictable. If there's an arctic blow, crossing the south of superior can be cold - real cold. The wind will pick up the very cold water of superior and bring a windchill that will hit your bones. Bring layers - lots of layers and make sure you have a rain suit - they can help block the wind even if it's not raining to keep you warmer. Also don't be surprised to see snow - Duluth gets 6 or more cm on average in October.

I recommend going up 69 to 17 and cross in the sault. The ride across the bottom of superior is boring till Ironwood, WI. Stop by Aerostich in Duluth to pick up fun motorcycle gack.

BE a DUMMY! And don't plan the trip. Go with the flow and find your own route / adventures

+1 for limiting stops, If I am trying to cover distance that makes the biggest difference. Typically I wake up in the morning, ride until I need fuel, eat brunch/use the facilities/get fuel (all in one stop if possible), then two tanks of fuel, then supper/facities/fuel, then ride until I get tired and stop for the night. Doing this 1500km days roll by and 2000 km days are possible but long.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    +1 for limiting stops, If I am trying to cover distance that makes the biggest difference. Typically I wake up in the morning, ride until I need fuel, eat brunch/use the facilities/get fuel (all in one stop if possible), then two tanks of fuel, then supper/facities/fuel, then ride until I get tired and stop for the night. Doing this 1500km days roll by and 2000 km days are possible but long.

2000km days tend to be 20 hour days, ok for a single shot trips but when you're traveling cross country you need time to sleep and you want restful sleep. It also doesn't give you time to enjoy the ride.

Parttimer, plan on arriving at least 1 or 2 days early that way you have time to recuperate from the ride and should something go sideways on the way there you have that extra padding in time.
    Last edited by CruisnGrrl; 01-13-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    x

When considering the distance you want to travel in a day consider: If I'm travelling interstates/400 highways I estimate 100 kph. Secondary roads 80 kph. I wouldn't plan on being in the saddle for more than 8 hours. With food and gas stops that equals a 10 hour day. That gives me 800 kms on interstates and 600+ on secondary roads. More is certainly doable but the fun goes down as it becomes more of an endurance exercise than an enjoyable ride.

I like Moggs planning suggestions too. That's basically what I do.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by parttimer View Post

Is there any way you fine folks figure out rest stops?
    Get a GPS, it'll have restaurants, rest stops, etc.

Shame to blast straight there on boring roads when there are lots of good ones if you can take the road less traveled. Post in the Regional Forums of ADVRider and ask for interesting East>West roads.

Quote Originally Posted by jonl View Post
    Get a GPS, it'll have restaurants, rest stops, etc.

Shame to blast straight there on boring roads when there are lots of good ones if you can take the road less traveled. Post in the Regional Forums of ADVRider and ask for interesting East>West roads.
    I agree, you can get a waterproof auto routing gps for under $200. And with a bit of preplanning, you can waypoint a beautiful, highly entertaining route.

I don't really plan my rest stops, they plan me. My tank gets low I stop to refuel, I get tired, I stop to stretch and shake it off.

The gps with recent software will have fuel and lodging programmed in, so pull over sometime after dinner and search for lodging and call ahead. I'd do this close to a population centre. They've got campgrounds listed as well if that's your thing.

Have a look at a base model Garmin 60Cx or similar, they've been a benchmark for adventure and rally riders for years.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Take the ferry across Lake Michigan and avoid Chicago traffic. Spend the night in Milwaukee. Minnesota's easy the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Have a look at a base model Garmin 60Cx or similar, they've been a benchmark for adventure and rally riders for years.
    I've got an older nuvi model and tek has the motorcycle garmen (name slips my mind). In planning on picking up a road map too.